More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    Enough time upon Althanas would expose a man to just about anything, however Storm Veritas was convinced that at the end of his rope, his story would be amongst the most bizarre and absurd that any human would be able to recall.

This came with the obviously presumptuous assertion that today would not prove the end of that rope in the first place. After all, while the healers at the Citadel had alluded to the safety of any combat he would engage in, it didn’t seem very safe to the minotaur which had been left in puddles. There also certainly weren’t any elements of fair warning which prepared him for the second opponent, one that seemed to slither out from the darkness behind him, a creature which seemed both indifferent to him and constructed for destruction.

So some goliath, goat-bleating shitshow or this waddling, twisting swamp monster. What in the actual f*ck did I do to deserve a draw like this?!

As the horrific swamp monster fired off a few scurrying, fanged lillypads, a small smile formed at the corner of the magician’s mouth. Grand theft, regicide, and mass murder were all crimes that could be attributed (fair or not) to his resume; there was no sense in the lightning wizard playing any type of victim here.

The plant-beast was a staggeringly horrific sight. Although generally walking upright, she (he guessed and or concluded, from a slightly higher pitched inflection of voice) was an amalgamation of nightmares heaped up in a pile of twisted vines that roughly replicated sinewy muscle. Her scent was that of soured death, so at least her charm was more than one-dimensional. Storm supposed that based on her obvious lethality, the apparent peace offering was not one to pass up, although her terrible visage left her impossible to trust.

“Thanks, careful, some big son of a bitch is around the corner. Based on those thunder-clap footsteps, I’m hoping… Shit… praying he isn’t as fast as he is big.”

Veritas stepped out from the hallway back into the better-lit aria. The flat-capped room at the center of the great pyramid remained vacant, however the hallway across from him harbored in its bowels something terrible. A shrieking, wailing sound came from the two little ferocious plant-things, as he saw a flickering set of lights ahead. The coiled back in an orange horror as their bodices popped with flame, leaves curling and black smoke pouring from their tiny corpses. Further back in the darkness, the great monster waited.

So fire can hurt the leaf-creature; guess that’s not much of a stunner. How do I keep the big thing focused on the NatureGirl over here?

An empty slot where a brick once lay created a small orifice in the otherwise depressingly smooth walls. Retrieving his twisted kriss dagger, the magician leapt with a simple, fluid hop to the hole, effortlessly toeing the hole as he drove the dagger furiously into mortar above between two larger stones. The mortar yielded in a high-pitched ker-ching and crumbled free, providing a Storm a two-point hold on the drafted sidewall some eight feet from the floor. From here, he was a long distance from safe, however he could move, leap, and dive to almost any point within the room. More importantly, from here he would stay out of eyesight from whatever abomination was going to come down the hallway after dispatching those little ankle-biting bastards. In a small voice, he whispered back, barely audible.

”Sorry about your little friends. Sit tight and look scary.”

From his newfound height, Storm lifted a single finger over pursed lips, indicating a desire for silence from his newfound floral friend. When hell came through that doorway into the larger space, he intended to welcome that bastard with six shades of hell.

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    "Sit tight and look scary."

Can do.

I tossed around a response to the mage's apology about the deaths of the twin briarbane. It was rather unfortunate that they perished so quickly; but did I want to tell him that they were bred specifically to die? I mean, they were meant to be weapons; tools of destruction that survived long enough off the mana of the earth to eliminate their targets before rapidly decomposing. The parasites were incredibly easy to breed, and I would always have access to more within the confines of my laboratory. In the end, I merely offered a slight nod of acknowledgment while he scaled the wall, hiding himself in the shadows and waiting for an opportune moment to strike at the monster approaching us.

I did manage to make out the bursts of brilliant flame that eliminated the twins. It was extremely curious--I didn't recall Philomel practicing fire magic at any point of our relationship. Slowly, I knelt down and place a briar-knit hand on the stone-hewn floor. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and allowed myself to become aware of my surroundings once more.

There was no mistaking what I saw in my mind's eye. Next to the hulking swirl of green and brown energy stood a smaller flash of bright red, keeping pace with his master as she barreled towards us.

That rat bastard Veridian tagged along, after all.

"Careful," I hissed softly as I removed my hand from the ground. "She's got a little fox with her. Keep an eye out for him, he's a bit of an asshole."

This revelation changed everything. I was certain that the two of us could have easily taken out the Matriarch; but the spirit was a definite wildcard. Best case scenario, he was going to be a distraction to even the odds a bit. However, there was the odd chance that his faun mistress would command him to unleash his full potential, which would be most inconvenient for both myself and the well-dressed mage.

I made a quick mental check of what I could do to counter the fox. I still had enough anti-magic spores at my disposal to negate a couple bursts of fire from the fox--and I still had the shard of the Red Witch's soul that I ripped from her body, which would protect me even further if I needed it to.

Rising to my feet, I took a deep breath and exhaled. The thundering crash of hooves echoed throughout the chamber, sounding the faun's approach. With each step closer to the vast open chamber I stood in, the ground shook. Off in the distance, I could hear the telltale sounds of masonry crumbling in the hallway behind her as she drew closer.

"Hey, fat-ass," I shouted through cupped hands at the mouth of the tunnel she would explode out of. "Be more careful, will you? You're gonna' bring the whole place down on top of our heads!"
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Lyre-Bearer
    EXP: 57,929, Level: 10
    Level completed: 36%, EXP required for next level: 7,071
    Level completed: 36%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,071
    GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    faun
    Hair Color
    violet (dyed)
    Eye Color
    grey
    Build
    6ft / 156kg
    Job
    Matriarch (Gilded Lily, Feminist Guild)

View Profile
    Like marionettes cut from their strings, the two briarheart minions crumpled with lifelessness.

Created by something that was unfamiliar to Philomel van der Aart's repetoire, the first idea, and the glorious result, had been to destroy them. Dark magics, as brutal as nightshade and as evil as the greatest demon in the Underworld, were the essence that spurned the vivacity of the creatures - and that was something Drys distinctly disallowed.

Once they were down, the great beast that was now Philomel twisted her behemoth head towards the gargantuan fox, as large as a dread-wolf and as fierce as the day he was born. She stood, mighty chest heaving, narrow-pupiled eyes blinking, staring at he who had been gone thus far and just came in the narrowest of times.

He who shared her soul and her heart.

Veridian ...

Softly, as far as the rage within allowed her to, she snorted, edging her soft muzzle closer, the remains of the recent enemy smattered over the front of her coat.

The golden and enkindled eyes of the fox on fire met hers and gently he nodded before raising his own nose upwards.

I was transferred elsewhere, he said in her mind, in a voice as threatening and unsubtle as thunder. Elsewhere in this labyrinth.

Elsewhere ... murmured she, as their noses met, soft on wet, brown on black, predator on prey. Caprine on vulpine.

Eyes closed. A moment of silence against the chaos of battle.

"Hey fat-ass!"

Philomel's eyes flashed open, her head rose like the maw of a sea-serpent from a tangled mess of swarming tentacles. Snarling, irritated at the interruption of their meeting, Veridian turned, the embers and flames across his spine rising as if spikes on the back of a dragon.

"Be more careful, will you? You're gonna' bring the whole place down on top of our heads!"

Madison Freebird, she darkly hissed, now knowing who their third competitor and enemy thus was. Slowly things into place - the twisted vine beings, the poison that they had spewed. It was very much the briarheart that Madison had become. So, they pit us against a crazed mage and an old friend.

At least its not Osiris boy again, the earth-spirit fox shrieked, expelling his anger in a flurry of fire. He crouched forwards, jaw coming agape before getting ready to charge into the room.

A room with an unknown mage, but a known vegetation and toxic fiend. A room likely full of traps for them, full of death and glory and honour.

I will be victorious, the dire-goat told herself, adamantly. Once more, once again. Once anew into the fray.

At least she was stronger now. At least she was with him.

And in her mind she decided to scream out. She called up the one who had been waiting. Two enemies ahead, not fighting each other it seemed, but waiting for her group. So far she had been raked against, thrown rocks against, and the black ooze on the ground was a clear sign that something may have settled into her system. But now was not the time. Now was a time to fight and use everything they had against these things. These villains, these enemies.

These ... monsters.

You know what to do, she told Veridian as she lowered her horns, running a front hoof across the dusty ground.

In the back of her mind she heard the final part of their trinity's roar, the mighty dragon who had thus been circling, waiting for this chance to shine. Rapidly, he was negotiating through rock and soil, tunnelling his sensitive way towards them and the chamber before them.

Veridian nodded. And he breathed in, once, before his crouch became a leap. He threw himself into the shadows, and then the chamber of doom and violence thereafter, jaws slamming down to aim a fiery bolt-bite at the first being he saw - before he would aim to skid to the end of the room. Timing was everything. Just as he would get to the other side of the room, if all went well, then Delath himself would tunnel his way in - an earthquake for a second, and then a mighty crash as he would come through and be the glorious beast he was.

Down from the ceiling, jaws agape. Down onto the enemy, jaws agape. Veridian on fire, jaws agape. Philomel finally following, horns poised to kill.
    Last edited by Philomel; 08-18-16 at 11:56 AM.
    "Tol. Mela. Othor." "Versh. Sai. Memnae." Come. Love. Conquer. - Philomel in Tolkein Sindarin, Faunish and Tradespeak

Very grateful winner of 2015 Althies Awards: Friendliest Member, Mrs Althanas, Best IC Rivalry (with Doge), Best Judge and Most Helpful/Friendly Mod and Admin Award of Moderator of the Year.

EXP: 128,600, Level: 15
    Level completed: 60%, EXP required for next level: 6,400
    Level completed: 60%,
    EXP required for next level: 6,400
    GP

Name
    Storm Veritas
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    More pepper than salt.
    Eye Color
    Grey or Blue
    Build
    6'1, 185 lbs
    Job
    Defiler.

View Profile
    It seemed that as of late, Storm Veritas had become decidedly terrible at ambushes. From his elevated position above the orifice that led to the hallway, he considered that he was in quite a fantastic position to ambush the third opponent. Sure, the plant-thing warned him against some sort of fox, but foxes were tiny, fake-tough glorified puppies that didn’t pose any threat to a human. They weren’t anything like wolves, so his only threat was the big, thundering thing that bleated down the hallway. There were also stories he had heard of which described goats as excellent slaughter subjects. Storm figured he had set this little goat up for quite the bottleneck, and that he’d have fish in a barrel before him shortly.

The wizard had figured wrong.

The little orange blur darted out on cue. It was larger and a little quicker than he expected, but it looked as though it hadn’t caught his scent as it dashed into the large room.

Is that thing on fire? Cute…

He fired an almost dismissively careless bolt at the little beast, which seemed to hit as the flaming fox dashed back into the hallway. Perhaps he hadn’t hit the little bastard; he had also probably shot a more powerful burst than was necessary. A shorter, quicker zap of his channeled white hate would have barbecued the furry rodent more efficiently, and…

GRRRR GRRRRUUUUUMMMM

The f*ck?!

His lightning had been too powerful, as the entire room protested with a deafening groan. It sounded as though the floor he fired upon was about to collapse! The magician shot his eyes around the room, looking for fractures and falling rock. Nothing had begun to come down, and he popped his hips and wrists quickly to ratchet the dagger a half inch deeper between chunks of fragmented rock.

It wasn’t his energy, he figured, as he looked down towards the swamp creature. The floor of rock had begun to swell, as the mysterious walking rhododendron had no doubt discovered. Something was coming up. He shouted with desperation to the flora.

“Under you, holy shit!”

Veritas pivoted back to the rock, covering his eyes as the floor beneath them erupted in a tiny, volcanic explosion. Rocks had sprayed in every direction, but with a wave of his hand shrapnel was diverted. This rock, obviously from a deeper space, was iron rich; perhaps the first good news of Storm’s day. It was of little consolation as a goddamned dragon burst his head through the floor, screeching and snorting and scanning about for his surroundings. It was small by dragon standards, but also mutated and rock-laden and terrible. Until it gathered its bearings, it was also slightly vulnerable.

Now’s the only chance.

Storm dropped like a stone, landing on the floor in a low crouch. There wasn’t time for strategy; he leapt rapidly across the newly formed hole in the ground and drove his dagger viciously across the eyes of the great brown beast. There was still the fox, the fat-assed goat, and the vine-woman to deal with, but Storm Veritas had learned never to take chances with the dangers of a god-damned dragon.
    Last edited by Storm Veritas; 08-20-16 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Phi shared the profile!

Lyre-Bearer
    EXP: 57,929, Level: 10
    Level completed: 36%, EXP required for next level: 7,071
    Level completed: 36%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,071
    GP

Name
    Philomel van der Aart (+ Veridian)
    Race
    faun
    Hair Color
    violet (dyed)
    Eye Color
    grey
    Build
    6ft / 156kg
    Job
    Matriarch (Gilded Lily, Feminist Guild)

View Profile
    Phi's Profile

POST TO BE DELETED AFTER USE

Alternatively, Storm, I am on facebooks so you can chat to me
    Search for Ailsa Philomel Williamson (unless we are friends already)
    "Tol. Mela. Othor." "Versh. Sai. Memnae." Come. Love. Conquer. - Philomel in Tolkein Sindarin, Faunish and Tradespeak

Very grateful winner of 2015 Althies Awards: Friendliest Member, Mrs Althanas, Best IC Rivalry (with Doge), Best Judge and Most Helpful/Friendly Mod and Admin Award of Moderator of the Year.

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    The final is now closed for judgment!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Reaching beyond the stars
    EXP: 4,150, Level: 2
    Level completed: 72%, EXP required for next level: 850
    Level completed: 72%,
    EXP required for next level: 850
    GP

Name
    Gnarl
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Blue

View Profile
    Judgment: Osiris Open Rubric

BlackAndBlueEyes VS Storm Veritas VS Philomel

Combat

BlackAndBlueEyes: 20 / 30
    Storm Veritas: 20 / 30
    Philomel: 19 / 30

While the battle wasn't finished everyone managed to get something in here, and at your level you all write and perform very well, so certain scores should be expected here. However, it should be noted that maximum points cannot be achieved due to the small amount of posts. You all performed well and true to your characters and had some interesting ideas in place, it is a shame they couldn't be finalised. Something as simple as awaiting the others to fight first is an easy but effective plan, but finding also teaming up to take out the third player was a wise decision, if not somewhat expected.
    You all came across rather even in these aspects over the short nature of this thread, but Philomel just drops behind here due to the fact it felt more brute power than strategically devised.

Character

BlackAndBlueEyes: 24 / 30
    Storm Veritas: 25 / 30
    Philomel: 20 / 30

Entrances are often very important for any character, it gives you an opportunity to present something that once within the battle you cannot. Storm and particularly BlackAndBlueEyes used this effectively, whereas Philomel seemed to miss the opportunity here. Once within the structure your personas were all fairly strong and no one broke character, but it would fair to say that during battles like these you cannot afford to miss anything out. Philomel needed something more to bring her character to life.
    Storm's constant hints at past experience and a powerful persona shine bright, and you quickly get a sense of who he is. Both Storms thoughts and speech are oozing with persona which made your posts an excellent read. BlackAndBlueEyes biggest problem was it being only three posts. What you did, you did well, but as a reader, I just needed some more.

Prose

BlackAndBlueEyes: 27 / 30
    Storm Veritas: 27 / 30
    Philomel: 22 / 30

You are all pretty solid here in general. The few issues I spotted were rare if any. Philomel, your biggest issue here felt like the mechanical flow, which bled into clarity. I had issues breaking down what was inner thoughts or just description at times, which led to re-reading during some of your complicated scenes. If you want any examples to what I'm referring to, please ask.
    Everyone's technique was solid and used effectively, but it would have been nice to see some more had the battle evolved enough to let your attacks and their effects really set in.

Wildcard

BlackAndBlueEyes: 06 / 10
    Storm Veritas: 08 / 10
    Philomel: 07 / 10

BlackAndBlueEyes loses a point for posting the least of three, but since there were so few posts anyway, I'm not going to be harsh on this. You are all great writers, and I just wish that I had more of the battle to read than I did.

Final Scores and Rewards

BlackAndBlueEyes: 77 / 100
    Storm Veritas: 80 / 100
    Philomel: 68 / 100

Storm Veritas Wins the Osiris Open!

In accordance with Osiris Open rubric, both contestants receive rewards based on a score of 65. Losers GP is forfeited to the tournament pot!

Storm Veritas receives 1040 EXP and 3088 GP!
    BlackAndBlueEyes receives 572 EXP and 882 GP!
    Philomel receives 624 EXP and 441 GP!

Congratulations!
    The Destroyer of Worlds

Part 1: The Gnarled Roots of Osiris
    - Philomel ~ "One of the best "opening" threads by any character I have ever read."
    Part 2: The Truth we Left Behind
    -Currently writing-

Deliver Us
    EXP: 69,763, Level: 11
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 7,237
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 7,237
    GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Brown
    Eye Color
    Gold
    Build
    6'0", 155lbs
    Job
    "Executor" (Leader) of the Brotherhood

View Profile
    All rewards have been added!

Althanas Operations Administrator

"When we were young, was this the dream we had? We're celebrating nothing. We need to find our way back."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12