EXP: 59,008, Level: 10
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 5,992
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,992
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

Creatures; the mundane and the useful

I was writing an interaction between two characters and I found myself wanting to say something like "you goat head!" but with a more Althie twist. I realized I didn't have much to draw on. There is a Bestiary page in the wiki, but it is limited to more magical creatures. I asked myself what sort of sheep are raised in Corone and if these are different to Salavar. Are horses used in Salavar, or given how cold it is, would they use long haired horses, or even something like tibeten yaks?

Then I realised how much opportunity there was to add normal, mundane creatures with regional twists.

So, add your creatures here! I'm looking for a name, region and a few sentences description. If there is anything particularly useful about them (make good mounts, excellent pelts, taste good with Akashima bbq sauce) put that in as well. I'll do a quality check and add them to the wiki. Here are some to kick it off:

Dragball:
    This lizard has been raised by Fallien herders for generation upon generation. The lizard grows thick hair from between it’s scales that reflects much of the desert’s intense heat. The domesticated variety grows hair year round that can be collected during the cooler months. Wild Dragballs can grow up to a meter long with lean bodies and small amounts of hair. Domesticated versions are much smaller and rounder and have far more hair. Their colours range from dark browns to earthy red. Both varieties are omnivores, but it should be noted the domestic variety are incredibly stupid.

Puffal:
    ‘Fly like a Puffal’ is a phrase heard throughout Corone when something goes wrong. These small flightless birds developed on an island off Corone in relative isolation from predators. Their wings are nearly useless, but make fantastic finger food. Puffals can grow to the size of a watermelon, making them a fantastic food source. They are generally dark brown, however since they started being bred across Corone, breeders have developed yellow and green varieties. Puffal pie and stew are staples in many inns.

Grawth:
    These large hairy creatures are a close relative to cows. They have very long hair, running down their bodies and two large curved horns the run either size of their face. These creatures were originally limited to cold climates, but with the warmth being taken from Salavar they have become invaluable. Their size makes them good work animals and mounts, while their fur and milk can be collected. They are known for their stubbornness and strength.

Fallien Wasp:
    This insect can grow up to five inches long. They create large hives that can range from half a dozen to several dozen wasps and sizes from a metre to a small house. They can be found attached to the side of rocky outcrops in the desert sheltered against direct sunlight. In some cases hives can grow to huge proportions. In these cases a very thick protective layer, or hardened hive wall, is excreted on the outside of the hive to shield it from heat. While very hard to secure, hardened hive walls are an extremely sought after building material. Fallien cities go to great lengths to destroy any hives they find within their walls. A single sting from one of these Wasps is painful, but not deadly for adults in good health. A swarm however can quickly kill. There is a black market selling stings and live wasps.

EXP: 8,120, Level: 3
    Level completed: 78%, EXP required for next level: 880
    Level completed: 78%,
    EXP required for next level: 880
    GP

Name
    Gum
    Race
    Dheathain Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Brown
    Build
    5'11'' / 165lbs
    Job
    Xangu Shaman

View Profile
    All those creatures sound awesome, very rich and alive sounding. The puffal has to be my absolute favourite, it sounds completely adorable.

I did something similar on the wiki a while ago, and I think they're mostly mundane rather than magical. I don't think my creations are quite as charming as yours, but here they nonetheless:

【LƎVƎL.3】
    👻🐆💀

xangunationalist
    fordsteinoperative

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

Thanks for the feedback!

I might talk to the content mods about how we structure fauna on the wiki. It'd be good to get your ones added to beastiary page

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

I made this one ages ago and had forgotten it!

Fire Squirrel
    Fire squirrels are similar to their non-magical name sake in appearance. Instead of brown, fire squirrels are are a bright red, save for a large white patch on their stomachs. Males tend of have smaller patches of white, are larger than the females and have much larger tails. All fire squirrels have love of fire, and can sometimes be found sleeping in fire pits amid the flames and embers. All fire squirrels have the same affinity for fire, but it manifests differently. They struggle with cold weather, and hate rain. Natives to Akashima, they can be, albeit rarely, found in greater Corone. They are hard to tame, but make extremely loyal companions. The affinity for fire manifests differently in each squirrel. They have been known to cover themselves in flames or release burning embers into the air.

Cinnamon Smol
    EXP: 11,110, Level: 4
    Level completed: 43%, EXP required for next level: 2,890
    Level completed: 43%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,890
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    A bright, pupil-less green.
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    I have one! Will add more as I come up with them, <3

The Omhym:
    Also known as the Singing Spider of Raiaera. This hand-sized species of spider has a slender appearance and jagged bark-brown coloration, making it resemble a bundle of twig. Most arachnids are not known for their vocal abilities, but these spiders have quite voice, and are known to mimic birdsong to lure prey into their treetop webs. The High Elves have a saying that roughly translates to “as unexpected as a singing spider” to describe unfortunate and unforeseen turns of events.
    Since the ravages of the Corpse War, its territory has shrunk and it has become a rarity even in Raiaera.
    "I’m funny, so they let me live." - Skippy's List

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

CUE THEMESONGS!

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

Cool name and concept Fenn!

I'm sure we have more animals people are not posting. No one has fought a herd of ravenous beetles? Or tangled with a tentacle monster?

One more!

Snuffle
    ‘As happy as a Snuffle in mud’, ‘as poor as a Snuffle farmer’ and ‘as greedy as a Snuffle are three ways the humble Snuffle has worked it’s way into the vernacular. A Snuffle is a small breed of pig which is a foot tall and one and a half feet long when fully grown. They have relatively large heads and huge noses. They have an incredible olfactory sense and are surprisingly smart. The particular ‘snuffling’ sound they make when searching for scents gives them their name. Unfortunately for them, their small size makes them perfect to cook whole and they are extremely tasty. Snuffles are often bred for food, but have been used as are smarter replacement for sniffer dogs. Some law enforcement has started using them, but the link of ‘pigs’ is somewhat a deterrent. A law man with a Snuffle is able to track a target several days after they passed through. Not the fastest creatures, they make up for it with high endurance.

Cinnamon Smol
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    I have a beetle! <3

Monlit
    The Monlit are a nocturnal species of hedgehogs that live in a symbiotic relationship with a peculiar species of moss that grows on their back. At night, their moss-fuzzy needles are bright with a phosphorescent glow, which attracts insects for them to eat. During the day, they nap in sunny places to give the moss a chance to replenish itself. They live in many forested regions with moderate temperatures and abundant trees. Gardeners usually welcome Monlit with open arms, as they snack on bugs such as locusts that might chew up their plants.

Rolik
    Rolik are a wingless species of large silver beetles with black markings on their carapace. Being social creatures, they dig vast, complex underground colonies under the snow of Salvar. They are known for being extreme omnivores. Workers roll any source of nutrition they find into a solid ball and push it back to their nests through the snow; decaying plant matter, rotting flesh, and animal dung often make up this ball. It isn't unusual to find them swarming around a fresh corpse and stripping it of its meat. Salvarians consider Rolik to be an omen of death.
    Last edited by FennWenn; 01-19-17 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Accidentally called moss "algae"!

The Wiki Matriarch. Always free to roleplay! I also play all these guys, so take a look at them too!

CUE THEMESONGS!

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

I thought I responded to this, but I guess I didn't! I like both of those, I just can't say get past the Monlit!

Valtrix - Lightning Dove
    Originally finding home in the cracks and nooks of the Twilight Mountains, these doves have been domesticated throughout Alerar. The Valtrix is a fairly plain looking bird with gray feathers with a few yellow highlights on the tips of it’s wings and a small yellow tuft on the top of their heads. What makes this bird notable is the composition of its feathers. The particular fibers generate large amount of static electricity as the bird moves. This electricity is stored within the bird and released when threatened in powerful electrical shocks. The more pronounced the tuft, the more electricity they have stored. They are often kept in Alerar in carefully insulated cages with copper perches that slowly siphon electricity from the and store it in quartz batteries. Trained Valtrix can be used to recharge batteries in the field.

Giant Kaiyo Clam
    These clams can be found off the coast of Akashima among the reefs and rocky shore lines. They are one of the largest clams in on Althanas, reaching the size of a full grown man. Clams work as filters for the sea, absorbing metals and toxins over the years as they grow. Given the huge size of these clams they have a strong metallic taste that makes them inedible for most races. The once exception is dwarves, who prize Kaiyos as a delicacy. Given the distance between the Dwarven strongholds and the seas which the Kaiyos grow, it makes transport extremely difficult. Kaiyos are also known for producing the largest pearls in the world. A small Kaiyo pearl is around the size of an apple, with the larger ones the size of watermelon. Kaiyo pearl diving is lucrative, but extremely dangerous work. The deep water the Kaiyos live in is dangerous, but more so, Kaiyos have been known to crush drivers.

Cinnamon Smol
    GP

Name
    Fennik Glenwey.
    Race
    Fae.
    Hair Color
    Light blonde.
    Eye Color
    Build
    4'1" / 52 lb
    Job
    Picker of Pockets.

View Profile
    Hey Hyst! Do you want me to try adding some of these to the bestiary?

CUE THEMESONGS!