Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile

Welcome To The Tragic Kingdom

Out of Character:
    Solo, but I'm open to people joining if they want to. PM me for details if interested.

News travels fast in Althanas, bad news faster still.

I've been aware of the impending crisis in Salvar for a while now. When your ideal way to wrap up an evening is by seeing what the local watering holes have to offer, you hear talk. Ethereal Sway this, King Rahaxea that; no matter which tavern I camped out in. From the way that these people were talking, something big was going to go down--it was just a matter of when.

I was still in Radasanth when I started hearing the rumors. After mulling over the possibilities for several days, I decided that the frozen continent would prove to be a good opportunity to raise some cash, and perhaps gain some notoriety along the way. I stuck around the Coronian city a while longer; my funds were too low to make the trip then. I dug around a bit, slitting a few throats here and there until I had the necessary gold for the boat ticket.

A few weeks later I set foot on the snowy, barren landscape for the first time in my life. Traveling by foot along Iorlan's Canal, I came across a small town called Dronost. It wasn't a big place by any means--a main street capped by an elegant yet cozy cathedral on one end and a regal manor at the other. Wooden shacks crammed the mile and a half stretch of road, while the canal ran on one side and snow covered farms lay on the other. The streets were empty, save for the uniformed guard posted outside of the manor.

Even so, the tension in the town was so thick that it made me sick to my stomach. The rumors were right, things were going to blow up here; Not just in Knife's Edge, but all over the country. As I continued walking down the main road, my footsteps crunching softly in the white powder, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had eyes all around me, watching me cautiously, waiting patiently for me to make one wrong move. I paused, looking around.

Nobody. There was nobody there. The only movement was my breath dissipating into the cold, crisp air. Reluctantly, I continued to walk. I spotted a building that had all the signs that it was a tavern: Windows tinted by years of tobacco smoke, a small murmur of noise escaping through the cracks in the door, and a wooden plank above the door clearly marked "tavern".

I quickly made a bee line towards the building, softly opening the door. It was a low-rent establishment; the mirror hanging behind the bar was cracked in places, two of the tables were held up by barrels instead of proper legs, and the air smelled of mold and stale alcohol. With my grand entrance, the dozen or so patrons immediately put their hushed conversations on hold, opting to stare at me with blank expressions. I surveyed the tavern, returning their kind gaze with one of my own.

My hand released the door, which swung with a creak back into its natural position. "What." My thin, raspy voice seemed to echo throughout the small room. Despite my cold exterior, these villagers were starting to freak me out. Perhaps I stumbled into the wrong town... Our eyes still deadlocked on one another, I reached into my satchel and pulled out one of my trusty vials of blood. I quickly popped the cap off and drank it; the metallic taste of the crimson liquid calmed my nerves somewhat.

My heels clicked on the wooden planks of the tavern floor as I made my way over to an open stool at the bar. The patrons slowly returned to their conversations, opting to ignore my presence. The bartender, made chubby and bald by the waning years of his life, approached me. In a tone that suggested that he didn't trust me at all, he asked, "What can I do for you, ma'am?"

"I'd like a Bloody Mary, please."

He cocked his head to the side. "A what?"

I sighed. How could you tend bar and not know what a Bloody Mary is? "Never mind. How about a screwdriver then?" The man looked at me in a manner that told me he didn't know what a screwdriver was either. I closed my eyes, doing little to hide the disappointment in my voice. "What do you have, then?"

The man looked at the nearly empty shelves on the wall behind him, his eyes falling on a small group of identical brown bottles. "Whiskey."

"Is that all?"

"Yep. I'm afraid we don't get much demand for anything else around here."

I turned on the stool, looking upon the patrons with disdain. You poor bastards have no taste in drinks, I wanted to tell them. But considering that they mirrored my stare, I kept my trap shut. I didn't want to start anything; I'd risk getting hurt before I made it to Knife's Edge.

"Alright then, how about a double shot of whiskey to start me off."
    Last edited by BlackAndBlueEyes; 10-21-07 at 10:15 PM.
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    The bartender snatched a small glass from underneath the bar, pouring a little bit of the amber fluid into it and sliding it down the bar towards me. I picked it up and brought it to my lips. It was sour, a little bit too much for my tastes. I tried to hide a cringe as I set the drink down on the bar.

He smiled, aware of my dislike towards the whiskey. "What's a matter, ma'am, too strong for ya'?"

"No, it just tastes a little too much like piss."

The man furrowed his brow. "I'll have you know that that is the finest whiskey in all of Salvar, distilled in Aouk and shipped all across the world."

"So you're telling me that your drinks only get worse from there?" This was bad. Not only were there villagers who were acting as if I were the plague, but if this whiskey was the best this country had to offer, then I wasn't going to have anything decent for a while. I should've never left Radasanth. The bartender scowled at my disapproval, sulking over to the other end of the bar to mechanically rub glasses with a towel.

The bar sat in an uneasy quiet for a while. I didn't have to look to see that the villagers were paranoid, but what for? I was just a traveler on my way to do some killing in Knife's Edge, they didn't have to worry about me. From the tips I gathered back in Corone, this was a fight between the church and the state, and they all probably were mulling over the possibility of me being on the side of the nobles. The fact was, I was willing to fight for whoever paid me more.

The iron hinges creaked to announce that someone else had entered the tavern. I looked over. He was a middle-aged man, handsome and solidly built. Behind his friendly smile were a piercing set of green eyes. A mop of well-groomed brown hair rested on top of his head. He wore a striking blue robe, sparsely decorated save for a gold symbol of some sort embroidered on his right sleeve. Our eyes met for several seconds, until he made his way to the open stool next to me. Several of the villagers said "Hello, Father" as he passed, greetings that he returned with that cheerful smile of his. So, this guy was the local holy man, huh?

He sat down next to me, flashing a finger to the bartender, who in turn poured him a small glass of whiskey. I started swirling the contents of my own glass, contemplating suicide through another sip of the horrible tasting liquid.

"So," the man spoke, breaking the silence between us, "what brings you here, outsider?"

My eyes stayed focused on the small amber whirlpool in my glass. "Just passing through on my way to Knife's Edge."

He chuckled. "These are dangerous times, I don't think you want to go there right now."

"Spare me the details," I interrupted. "In a few minutes, I'll be paying for my drink, then I'll be out of here. It will be as if I never stopped here in the first place, so I would be happy if you left me alone."

The priest clamped a hand down on my shoulder. Despite his soft and friendly appearance, he had a grip like a vice. "I'm afraid I can't let you do that. A couple of the villagers have been watching you ever since you came into town, and they claim that you've been acting strangely."

My eyes, showing this man no fear, stayed glued on my drink. "I highly doubt that wandering into town is grounds for suspicion."

"Normally it isn't, but we've been having plenty of problems lately, what with the nearby manor receiving a few more of Rahaxea's troops and them trying to come down on us with an iron fist. For all we know, you could be a spy from the capital that the Morgans hired to see if I was up to something."

"And from the tone of your voice, I have no choice but to think that you are."

The priest smiled. "Come, let's go for a walk."
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times