Hair Color
    brown
    Eye Color
    brown
    Build
    5'/100lbs
    Job
    slave

When Halding came out of Carth’s office, he took a quick look around for Corvus, but didn’t see him. Halding shrugged and figured that the wolf-man had wandered off somewhere. Right now, Halding didn’t care what Corvus did so long as he didn’t get in the way. Right then, Halding had a great deal of work to do and not a lot of time to do it in.

Lady Venus hurried through the halls to the suite of rooms Gregory had given her for her use. She pushed open one side of the large, double doors and quickly closed it behind her. Gone was the sweet look she’d given Carth when she’d been with him. Her eyes were cold and frustration caused her to frown.

“Suri! Suri, where are you?”

“Right here, Mistress,” a young girl of about 15 years replied with a curtsy. Suri had been in service to Lady Venus most of her life. She always traveled with Lady Venus. She had just finished straightening the furniture when she heard the door practically slam shut. As she rose from her curtsy, green eyes looked up at the beautiful Venus out of a face framed with red curls.

“What do you need, my Lady?”

“What is going outside these walls? What do you know? Quickly, now!”

Suri put down her feather duster and tapped her chin with a finger as she gathered her thoughts. Among her duties in caring for Lady Venus’ belongings, she was also the lady’s eyes and ears throughout the mansion.

“Rumor says that the Church isn’t happy with the nobility. They want to do away with all the nobles that won’t side with them. I’ve heard that there’s someone stirring the peasants up to revolt, but I haven’t heard anything further than that. That’s all I know, Mistress. Is something wrong?”

Lady Venus had taken a seat on a large divan and was massaging her temples. Suri moved up behind her and gently removed Venus fingers, then resumed the massage herself.

“Mistress?”

“My plans are in danger, Suri. We need to be ready to run. Have you found out if there are any secret ways out of Kanoth Springs?”

“No, Mistress, there are no secret ways out of the town, though there are many ways out of the mansion.” Gently, she moved her hands from her mistress’ temples to her shoulders, easing away the stress her mistress was so obviously feeling.

“Rats! The peasants are indeed revolting. Gregory thought I was far enough way not to hear, but I heard that captain’s full report. The gates are locked by now and the peasants may launch their first assault any minute.”

She stood suddenly and began pacing briskly. “Suri, begin packing immediately. Pack as lightly as you can in case we have to run. I am going out to the garden to think.”

Lady Venus then left a very confused Suri to her newest chore. She had much to think about and plans that required changing.

Slave remained blissfully unaware of the events that were about to unfold around her. She wore a blue dress today with matching slippers. Her long hair was done up in a single braid today with a blue ribbon at the end. She paused in her work for a moment to watch a little yellow bird sitting on a branch of a small tree, singing his heart out.

Today, she was learning a bit of gardening from the head gardener. He was a nice, elderly man and was pleased to have such a bright and interested pupil. Already, she had memorized which rows needed watering on which dates and was able to identify several different types of weeds. He watched her with a smile on old, creased face. He’d always wanted a daughter, but had never quite managed it. Instead he had four boys, all grown now. Three of them had joined the military, the fourth had taken after his father and become a gardener.

Slave laughed softly as the bird she’d been watching took wing. Then she turned her attention to the head gardener.

“Mr. Johnson, am I done with my lesson for today? It’s almost time for my daily walk.”

“Yes, child, you are done. Enjoy your walk. You can come back anytime you want.”

Slave thanked him with a curtsy and hurried out of the garden, she almost ran into Lady Venus and stopped quickly to give a deep curtsy her. “I’m sorry, Lady Venus. I will remember to walk in the future.”

“Not to worry, child, no harm done. Where are you off to in such a hurry?”

“Mr. Johnson said that I was done with my lessons, so I thought that I would go for my walk. Did you need something, Lady Venus?”

“No, dear,” Venus replied absently, “go on with your walk.”

As Slave started her walk, Venus roamed through the garden, not really seeing the flowers that were still in bloom or the other flower beds being prepared for winter. Neither did she truly hear the singing of the birds. Her mind was lost in thought over how she was to accomplish her purpose in coming to this lonely estate in the middle of nowhere.

Outside, the mob finally began moving forward. It moved slowly at first, but then gained momentum. In a few minutes, it had arrived at the mansion gates and spread along the wall. The soldiers on the inside frowned and tried to talk to the peasants, but nothing seemed to work. A few were trying to climb the gates, but were easily pushed down with the butts of the soldiers spears. The peasant uprising had begun in earnest.

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    From the second floor of the inn, I watched the peasants with fluctuating interest as they approached Carth's estate, bellowing their collective war cries while waving about their farm tools and torches. Their feeble attempts to storm the massive iron gates--often receiving the butt end of a spear in the face for their efforts. It was quite an amusing sight, I suppose... Watching these little men scurry about, trying to overthrow their friendly neighborhood noble. And yet, here I was standing in the chilly room, roped into aiding their cause by that priest.

The silk cloak Turrothe gave me as a down payment for my services was draped over the chair behind me. The garment would definitely prove useful, but how useful would all depend on whether or not I could get into the mansion in the first place. Unfortunately, it wasn't just a matter of sneaking in, killing the guy, then making it out alive... With the villagers staging an open revolt, there had to have been guards swarming all over the place.

"Thanks for making my job harder, assholes," I murmured to myself.

I picked the leather belt that had my daggers strapped to it off the bed, fastening it tight around my small waist. The steel blades cried out to me, yearning for the taste of blood. Oh, their blood thirst would be quenched soon enough, along with my own... I slung my leather satchel over one shoulder, double checking to make sure I had a few empty glass vials. Tiny specks of dried blood dotted the insides of the tubes--I made a mental note to wash them out the next chance I got.

I threw the cloak over my shoulders, placing the hood over my head and casting my face into shadow. I extinguished the small oil lamp before I left the cozy room. My footsteps echoed as I descended the staircase--the barren silence that suffocated most of the town seemingly amplified each light clunk. Nobody was in the main lobby of the inn; either they were hiding somewheres relatively safe, or they were risking their lives with the attack on Carth's manor.

Pulling the silken cloak tighter around my shivering body, I began to have second hands about infiltrating the estate and offing the noble. With the current situation, it would be damn near impossible to actually get inside the gates without being seen. I had no intention of wasting the cloak's powers until I actually needed them, especially since Turrothe failed to mention how long (or even how) to recharge the enchantment.

Off in the distance I could hear the din of the mob as they refused to accept that their efforts were futile. My footsteps crunched lightly in the snow as I quickly moved through the streets, sticking close to the buildings and ducking down alleyways wherever I could. If there were a few guards lingering around town, I had no intention of being spotted by them.

A small thought popped into the back of my mind. What are you doing here, anyways? There's a bigger conflict going on in Knife's Edge, why are you fucking around with these backwoods creeps? Everyone's busy focusing on the manor, this is the perfect time to find a way to get out of town! Use the cloak, find a ladder and a small section of the barricade to scramble over, and you'll be on your way to the capital! It wasn't a bad idea, actually... All I would need to do was find a ladder.

I paused for a moment. That was it! The answer to my problems! I could grab a ladder, carry it to an unguarded part of the perimeter fence enclosing the Carth estate, go invisible, climb over, sneak in, and kill the noble and fulfill my job. I immediately began scouring the streets for a ladder.
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

GP

Name
    n/a
    Race
    unknown
    Hair Color
    brown
    Eye Color
    brown
    Build
    5'/100lbs
    Job
    slave

((This is being temporarily dropped. Corvus dropped out earlier and had given permission to have his character bunnied out. Logan has disappeared, he is not answering PMs or IMs. BlackAndBlueEyes has agreed to dropping this and trying again at the start of chapter 2. Please do not judge this. thanks))

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12