Hair Color
    Dark Brown
    Eye Color
    Jade
    Build
    5' 8" // 135 lbs
    Job
    sorcerer

That wouldn't work because the number you give would be no different than if the judge just kept the hidden score... and it would be more accurate still if they did keep the score hidden. Just handing out a set amount of exp for good, bad, and amazing threads isn't the topic, and would put more bias on the players involved as well as how the mod reads it.

Say a mod looks over my thread... they say, yeah, it's good. Here's 1000 exp. That's not going to work, even though the system says a good thread should get that much. I'm level 5, if they skim it and keep the number secret but use the formula I would receive 3000+ exp.

EXP: 162, Level: 1
    Level completed: 9%, EXP required for next level: 1,838
    Level completed: 9%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,838
    GP

Name
    Camella
    Race
    Chameleon morph?
    Hair Color
    What color you want it to be?
    Eye Color
    What color you want it to be?
    Build
    5'1"/ 127 Lbs
    Job
    Bounty hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dirge View Post
    That wouldn't work because the number you give would be no different than if the judge just kept the hidden score... and it would be more accurate still if they did keep the score hidden. Just handing out a set amount of exp for good, bad, and amazing threads isn't the topic, and would put more bias on the players involved as well as how the mod reads it.

Say a mod looks over my thread... they say, yeah, it's good. Here's 1000 exp. That's not going to work, even though the system says a good thread should get that much. I'm level 5, if they skim it and keep the number secret but use the formula I would receive 3000+ exp.
    Actually, I said 100, not 1000, but I see your point. All I'm saying is we may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead of trying to cut down on the wait time, reward them for patience, while leaving a n option open for those not-so-patient types.
    new and improved with better blades!!!

http://www.althanas.com/world/showthread.php?t=2749

Check out all my usernames: Edward Judorne, 2-in-1, Camella, Shell, Mellissa, Crystal Suncrest, Jack Lancer, and Mink

Member of "The League of International Intrigue"

Throbbing Member
    EXP: 101,041, Level: 13
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 2,959
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,959
    GP

Name
    Godhand Striker
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Prematurely Gray
    Eye Color
    Crimson
    Build
    6'2"/205lbs
    Job
    Wine collector

Hell, I'm always in favor of options. I mean I'd probably never use this because I fear change but it's still nice to know I could, you know?
    "I almost shook his hand but then I remembered I killed a man."
    -Camus, The Stranger

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
    -Denis Diderot

"But I can smile...And I can smile while I kill..."
    -King Ricardo

"I know this is going to sound like a joke but I am deadly serious: I didn't know it was jubilee week."
    -Johnny Rotten

Meet Mr. Man/My Inventory/Almost Great

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    I don't really like the idea of punishing the impatient types. After all, it's less work on a mod to skim and guestimate (with accuracy, I might add. I know that for me, if I skimmed, the range would probably only be within a couple of points). It saves them time and gets threads out of the queue faster. So I'm in favor of full points for impatients.
    The Karu knows.

Do you know my name?
    EXP: 38,033, Level: 7
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 5,967
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,967
    GP

Name
    Jame Whitizard-Kaosi
    Race
    Half Dragon
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Red
    Build
    6'5" medium build
    Job
    Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks
    Right, but hasn't that always been the distinction between "quests" and "battles" on Althanas? "Quests", though they might involve battles, do not have scored winners and losers whereas "battles" do. It seems to me like you feel that the no-judge should not be extended to battles. I agree with you.
    I don't mind if no judge is extended to battles, but only if it is understood that the battle, in terms of EXP allocation, will be treated as a quest. If two people are battling for fun and are not interested in seeing who the better writer is, I don't mind if they submit a battle as no judge and accept roughly equal amounts of EXP (all other variables held constant). Where we are definitely in agreement is a competitive battle should be scored.

GP

Name
    Thomas Saxon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1''/201 lbs.
    Job
    Hunter

I'd like to see this idea implemented immediately. I know there are quite a few times I write that I wished there was an easier way to obtain experience than to sit and write something for months and hope for a great score. For a perfectionist like me, this seems like an all around good idea that seems to take immense pressure off the judge's shoulders, and from what little I read it gives a chance for players who prefer to roleplay over writing to actually do that and not be tied up with the process of treating this like a workshop.

Sounds like an all around win/win to me. Somebody draft up a proposal and put this bad boy on the frontlines, I'm sure we'll be hearing the collective sigh of relief from all the current judges around once they see our staff has established an express lane.
    HEY! If you are judging or adding experience to a quest of mine, READ THIS!

~~Fibonacci's Tales ~~
    To Trump A Bluff.. (Best Quest of 2007)
    Almost Heroes

"To be evil is easy. It is far easier to destroy the light inside of someone then the darkness all around you." -The Night Watch

GP

Name
    Edward Judorne
    Race
    Half-elf
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    5'2"/148 lbs
    Job
    Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Karuka Tida View Post
    I don't really like the idea of punishing the impatient types. After all, it's less work on a mod to skim and guestimate (with accuracy, I might add. I know that for me, if I skimmed, the range would probably only be within a couple of points). It saves them time and gets threads out of the queue faster. So I'm in favor of full points for impatients.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want it abused either. take this example:

X knows he'll get a 600 exp for sure if he uses the quick turn-in. He thinks he did a craptastic job on a quest, so he uses this option to net more exp than if he turned it in normally.

That is the other reason I set the make believe exp points so low.

Also, if you make the exp total a set amount, It wouldn't really be punishment if they chose to take that option because they know about what they will get when they make the choice.
    "Too predictable"
    ---
    Now with a Damascus bladed rapier. among other things

Daonnan Caillte
    EXP: 79,284, Level: 12
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next level: 10,716
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next level: 10,716
    GP

Name
    Karuka O'Sheean
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Dark Red
    Eye Color
    Sun and Sky Blue
    Build
    5'8"
    Job
    Adventurer

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Judorne View Post
    Yeah, but I wouldn't want it abused either. take this example:

X knows he'll get a 600 exp for sure if he uses the quick turn-in. He thinks he did a craptastic job on a quest, so he uses this option to net more exp than if he turned it in normally.

That is the other reason I set the make believe exp points so low.

Also, if you make the exp total a set amount, It wouldn't really be punishment if they chose to take that option because they know about what they will get when they make the choice.
    It's more like it'd be an abuse to set the low, standard EXP gains for any given quest if they get it skimmed. That means we don't need to read it at all, just give them the EXP and go. We do still want to reward quality so that our players can continue to improve.
    The Karu knows.

GP

Name
    Edward Judorne
    Race
    Half-elf
    Hair Color
    black
    Eye Color
    green
    Build
    5'2"/148 lbs
    Job
    Prince

Hence why I set multiple set exp based on performance, but you do have a point.

Also, keep in mind the exp I gave were just so I could give an example. I don't expect them to be as low as I put them.

In any case, you are right. bad idea.
    "Too predictable"
    ---
    Now with a Damascus bladed rapier. among other things

GP

Name
    Raven Adventwings
    Race
    Felisionne
    Hair Color
    Raven Black
    Eye Color
    Deep Brown
    Build
    6 ft / 143 lbs.
    Job
    Fighter Pilot - MIA

Ooh, this is a scary note for me, as I have always preferred full judging so I know how far I've come and how far I still have to go.

However, I'm not against this idea of a Speed Judging Request. It could help to speed up your EXP and GP gains, but asides from those two you're not getting much out of the thread. Unless you already know what you did wrong. (Ha)
    The year's at the spring,
    And day's at the morn;
    Morning's at seven;
    The hill-side's dew-pearled;
    The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn;

God's in his Heaven - All's right with the world...

~Pippa Passes; by Robert Browning

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast