Entity composed of thoughts and shadows
    Hair Color
    Varies according to materialization
    Eye Color
    varies according to materialization
    Job
    Stealer of Dreams, Theif of Minds

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    Max Dirks' resurgence on Althanas starts now. This is an open challenge to anyone to take me on in a battle. I'm not talking a new age Althanas battle where we spend hours making sure our posts are perfect. I'm talking about an old-school T1 style match-up. Sure it'll be judged, and your character will be revived after the fight. But the real winner is the one who out maneuvers the other player and takes out their character. Max Dirks has beaten Devon, Leopold, Sei...fuck everyone, and now he's going to beat you.

I'd prefer folks I haven't played with before, but if we don't have enough folks in the pot I'll beat on whoever.
    You make the thread, and I shall come. Max may have beaten others, but the real question is, can he overcome his own mind?

Screw You, Andy.
    EXP: 233,561, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next level: 0
    GP

Name
    Sei Orlouge
    Race
    Mystic
    Hair Color
    Orange
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'11'', 172 lbs
    Job
    Protector of Radasanth.

View Profile
    Bring it on, Dirks. We're long due for a rematch.

No NPCs, no flowery writing, just Sei and Dirks going at it to finally settle who's the better warrior :P
    2011 Althy winner for Best Comeback, Most Helpful Moderator, and Best IC Odd Couple (With Enigmatic Immortal). 2012 Althie Winner for Mr. Althanas, and best Bromance (also, with Enigmatic Immortal). 2014 Althy Winner Best Battler for Forrals Fortress.

Gisela Open Winner (First Year), Lornius Cooperate Championship 3rd Place Winner (1/2 of 'Don't Blinke!', 2nd year).

(21:41:22) Sulla: If you kill god, Nihilism fills the void, you need the ubermensch to take the place of god. Sei is the ubermensch.

EXP: 12,400, Level: 4
    Level completed: 68%, EXP required for next level: 1,600
    Level completed: 68%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,600
    GP

Name
    MetalDrago Scorpio
    Race
    Dragonian
    Hair Color
    Silver
    Eye Color
    Orchid
    Build
    6'4"/206lbs.
    Job
    None

My battle with Duffy will be finished with one more post. I've always wanted to fight you, Dirks.

GP

Name
    Valerius lei Raschael
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Lavender
    Build
    6'1"/165 lbs.
    Job
    Part-time exterminator

Quote Originally Posted by orphans View Post
    Can you explain the T1 system or something? I've heard it thrown around a lot. The T1, T2? and others.... but, I have no idea what they mean.
    T1 is turn-based fighting where you charge your attacks with preps, interrupt your opponent's posts so that you can take advantage of any flaws in their defense, etc.

T2 aka speed is basically the system they use in chats and IRC and whatnot. The goal is to, essentially, type faster than your opponent so that you can write an action (ie -x threw a punch at Bob's face, hoping to break his nose) and a connecting post (the fist smashed Bob's nose) before your opponent has time to respond with a defense or dodge. There's a minimum amount of words you need to write per action and the writing quality generally suffers immensely (because -fist to the face of Bob- can be typed a lot quicker than -x threw a punch at Bob's face, hoping to break his nose-). I'm not really familiar with it beyond the basics because I've never been interested in speed.

Anywho, Christoph has roped me back into coming here, so I'll probably have a profile up before long. Looking forward to RPing here.
    I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control
    I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul

EXP: 30,152, Level: 7
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 4,848
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 4,848
    GP

Name
    Azza "Sophia" Ambrose
    Race
    Dovicarus (Cleansing One)
    Hair Color
    White to Gray
    Eye Color
    Maroon
    Build
    5'2 / 119lb
    Job
    Cleansing One

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    T1 is turn-based fighting where you charge your attacks with preps, interrupt your opponent's posts so that you can take advantage of any flaws in their defense, etc.
    So... is the battle system on Althanas currently running under a T1 system? I'm not a battler so not familiar with any of it. I'm guessing it is, since it seems to be closer to what you describe.

Though I'm a little confused about what you mean by interrupting their post.
    Current Adventures:
    None

Party:
    None

Recently Done:
    Following...
    Perspective...
    Price...
    Songs...
    He Who Waits...
    Matriarch's...

GP

Name
    Valerius lei Raschael
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Blonde
    Eye Color
    Lavender
    Build
    6'1"/165 lbs.
    Job
    Part-time exterminator

Quote Originally Posted by orphans View Post
    So... is the battle system on Althanas currently running under a T1 system? I'm not a battler so not familiar with any of it. I'm guessing it is, since it seems to be closer to what you describe.

Though I'm a little confused about what you mean by interrupting their post.
    Yeah, I imagine it probably is. Though I think that conclusions to fights are often reached after a judge evaluates the thread and dispenses experience spoils and whatnot?

As for interrupts, imagine you've posted and your character is aiming an overhead slash at my shoulder, and then he spins around and tries to slice into my bicep.

I interrupt your post by saying I sidestep the overhead slash and respond by shooting a fireball at your face. You can't really spin and continue with your second attack, hence your post has been interrupted. I haven't roleplayed on Althanas extensively, but some places consider interrupts illegal, though generally you don't need to worry about them as long as you confine yourself to a few actions per post.
    I don't care if it hurts, I want to have control
    I want a perfect body, I want a perfect soul

Administrator
    EXP: 81,363, Level: 12
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 8,637
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 8,637
    GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Green
    Job
    Illicit Entrepreneur

View Profile
    Interrupts are allowed on Althanas, but only to a certain extent.

I've always likened them to "passive" v "active" battles. In a passive battle, you simply respond to a person's post as a whole. Say in the midst of a battle, Nevermore sends a fireball at me. In my response, I just assume the fireball was already thrown and jump out of the way. In an active battle, you respond to a person's action within a post. So, assuming Nevermore's fireball needs to be conjured in some manner, when I notice him "moving his hands in an arcane manner", for example, I pull out my gun and shoot at him. This is what Nevermore means by an interrupt. However, because of Althanas' inclusion of "fairness" into the determination of power-gaming, I have to be 100% sure that what I'm doing is reasonable and even possible under the circumstances. It can't give me an unfair advantage. To win fairly in this T1 construct then, I would have to use everything in my power to make the next action of Nevermore's seem more unfair than my interruption of his post.
    Althanas Operations Administrator

Dirks GP amount: 2949

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123