Eye Color
    White
    Build
    8'7" 300lb
    Job
    Adventurer / Historian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanste View Post
    Wisdom - Going to say this is the same as intelligence but maybe I'm wrong[/COLOR]
    Wisdom is the ability to know how to use the knowledge you gain to your advantage. An example is stated below

Quote Originally Posted by hoytti View Post
    Wisdom: What is the use of Knowledge without the ability to use it? Sorish does not only know information about environments but also knows how to use that information to work for him. For example. Lets say Sorish is in a forest in unmarked territory when suddenly he is attacked by another traveler who is aggressive. He can use his knowledge on the basics of forests to lead the aggressor into a trap.
    Thought
    "Telepathic Communication"
    "Yelling"
    Emphasis
    "Talking"

Theme Song
    "Year of the Reef"

Your Flesh, My Canvas
    EXP: 25,718, Level: 6
    Level completed: 82%, EXP required for next level: 1,282
    Level completed: 82%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,282
    GP

Name
    Aurelianus Drak'shal
    Race
    Tiefling
    Hair Color
    Dark red quills
    Eye Color
    Black sclera, with yellow irises and slit pupils
    Build
    5' 9'' 152 lbs
    Job
    Warlock, Soul Broker, Anarchist, Planewalker, Fleshcrafter

View Profile
    Intelligence is book smarts.

Wisdom is common sense.

Simple. Or at least, that's always how I've been taught / read it.
    "My talent's for lying. For sticking the knife in when people least expect it. Then walking away with a smile and a wave before they even realize they're bleeding."
    - John Constantine

"Self-control is for those who can't control others."
    - Gavin Guile

"There are two secrets to becoming great. One is never to reveal all that you know."
    - Anon.

EXP: 17,010, Level: 5
    Level completed: 51%, EXP required for next level: 2,990
    Level completed: 51%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,990
    GP

Name
    Atzar Kellon
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Long Black
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    6'1" 180 lbs.
    Job
    Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelianus Drak'shal View Post
    I personally have a lot of experience with tabletop roleplay, which does use those stats.

But I don't believe they are right for Althanas. Physical stats, yes, because they have a direct impact on how someone interacts with another character, but I have never liked adding mental stats (namely Intelligence and Wisdom) to PbP roleplaying boards such as this. They limit creativity too much, as in the tabletop games, by defining what stats people use for casting, or saying who's smarter or has more common sense than the others. But it does not cover all possibilities.

Blood magic, people who use sheer willpower to cast, elemental magic.. none of these are adequately covered by either Intelligence or Wisdom. I believe those stats should be entirely up to the writer to determine, without being limited by the numbers.
    Absolutely agree with this take.

I'm going to bluntly state my bias from the start: I greatly favor the writing element of the game/writing alloy we have here.

With that in mind, I'm not a fan of strictly enumerating all of these personal statistics. And while I recognize that physical attributes are necessary to an extent for battles, for the purposes of everything else they're somewhere between nuisance and filler. I'm just trying to write a story. A page of stats doesn't get me any closer to achieving that end.

EXP: 1,575, Level: 1
    Level completed: 79%, EXP required for next level: 425
    Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next level: 425
    GP

Name
    Sanste
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black
    Eye Color
    Black
    Build
    4'10/100 pounds
    Job
    Adventurer/Golem Crafter

View Profile
    Updated the main list on the initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelianus Drak'shal View Post
    I personally have a lot of experience with tabletop roleplay, which does use those stats.

But I don't believe they are right for Althanas. Physical stats, yes, because they have a direct impact on how someone interacts with another character, but I have never liked adding mental stats (namely Intelligence and Wisdom) to PbP roleplaying boards such as this. They limit creativity too much, as in the tabletop games, by defining what stats people use for casting, or saying who's smarter or has more common sense than the others. But it does not cover all possibilities.

Blood magic, people who use sheer willpower to cast, elemental magic.. none of these are adequately covered by either Intelligence or Wisdom. I believe those stats should be entirely up to the writer to determine, without being limited by the numbers.
    I definitely agree about magical attributes. I do not think they have a place in this type of world. It's up the writer in my mind to make the character behaves as s/he wishes. However, I have them included on the second list just so people can read the initial post to see what all people have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Atzar View Post
    Absolutely agree with this take.

I'm going to bluntly state my bias from the start: I greatly favor the writing element of the game/writing alloy we have here.

With that in mind, I'm not a fan of strictly enumerating all of these personal statistics. And while I recognize that physical attributes are necessary to an extent for battles, for the purposes of everything else they're somewhere between nuisance and filler. I'm just trying to write a story. A page of stats doesn't get me any closer to achieving that end.
    I have mixed feelings personally on the subject of personal statistics. I think there should be at least a few basic physical stats to let people know what the character can do. Adding a few more helps clear it up in some cases. However, I think Atzar does have a valid point too.
    Last edited by Sanste; 11-01-13 at 08:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12