Build
    5'10', 165 lbs.
    Job
    Hitman/Killer

View Profile

This Althanian Life - Episode 01

Sapphosaurus Rex: The Fallacy of PbP Amazonomachy
    Or Women on Althanas and Fantasy Roleplaying

On the first episode of This Althanian Life, we talk with Shelby (Rayleigh), Sarah (Luned), Jess (Amber Eyes), and Michelle (Alydia) about their experiences on and off the site, in the RP community as a whole, and with the fantasy genre. We go over a few tropes, as well as the culture behind them. We also discuss why artificial banana flavor is the devil and how Jess plans on using her robot army to rule the world.

Opening Song: Grimes - Oblivion
    Closing Song: Trust - Sulk

Comments and questions welcome!
    Last edited by Sulla; 03-09-15 at 10:59 PM.
    "The man who is to be great is the one who can be the most solitary, the most hidden, the most deviant, the man beyond good and evil, lord of his virtues, a man lavishly endowed with will - this is precisely what greatness is to be called: it is able to be as much a totality as something multi-faceted, as wide as it is full."

I Wish I Could Eat You Sun
    Hollow is my Crown
    Give Way To Bloom
    Glasses and Straight Razor

Administrator
    EXP: 63,653, Level: 10
    Level completed: 88%, EXP required for next level: 1,347
    Level completed: 88%,
    EXP required for next level: 1,347
    GP

Name
    Lichensith Ulroké
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Platinum
    Eye Color
    Green
    Build
    175lbs -- 6'
    Job
    Grandmaster Assassin

View Profile
    Very interesting podcast. Very informative and to the point. Few things I want to make known.

First, as admin, I want to stop seeing this verbal abuse or neglect for others views in chat. I know what behavior was mentioned and I also know I've walked that line. I try to keep it clean in chat a good 90%, but even then, that 10% is enough to make a respectful player get a bad taste and not return. If anyone feels that one member, including myself and other staff, is out of line or offensive, please report them. Staff is not always around, but that doesn't mean we can't enforce forum rules to make sure your time here is enjoyable. So again, speak up when someone is making you uncomfortable and I will adress the problem.

Next, I appreciate the mention of Alyssa. I got the feeling my portrayal of a female character isn't of the highest quality seen, but the feedback is appreciated. As far as her being a sex symbol, that was never an intention, nor do I try to write her as such. Even in her profile, she is described as somewhat average, but enough to catch the eye for those looking ti be caught. Much like the girl no one noticed in class until prom night. Alyssa is a very complicated girl with many insecurities and strengths. She is a difficult character to write given her unique psyche and the fact I struggle with female mannerisms as a male. If those who have read some Alyssa have some strengths and weaknesses they would like to share, I would appreciate it.

Lastly, I like the way this was ran. Aside from audio issues with ambient noise, it was a smooth podcast with strong execution. It didn't devolve into a bashing session and covered pros and cons. No members were specifically targeted and painted in a poor light. I would like to see another podcast going a little deeper into the idea of strong back stories and the importance of it when building a character with depth. Also, thoughts about site wide canon and how best to keep it fresh, updated, and engaging.
    "All mortal men possess the capacity to do evil. Some are simply more capable than others."
    - Anonymous

Break knees, collect fees
    EXP: 94,624, Level: 13
    Level completed: 34%, EXP required for next level: 9,376
    Level completed: 34%,
    EXP required for next level: 9,376
    GP

Name
    Madison Freebird
    Race
    Human
    Job
    The Absolute Worst

View Profile
    I half-expected you to introduce yourself as Cory Glass here. Consider that my only disappointment here.

For real, though, this was a very interesting, engaging listen. It was very nice to hear a serious discussion about a serious topic from "the other side", if you will. I'm bad at articulating my thoughts on this matter; but I do hope that everyone here listens to and takes to heart what this episode had to say.

Also, I'm now happy that I don't think I'll be able to attend Althanascon Boston. It's hard enough for me to hug under normal circumstances; but when the cameras come out, that's when I go into hiding.
    Last edited by BlackAndBlueEyes; 03-10-15 at 08:08 AM.
    "Being evil never felt so good!" - Marie, Splatoon

these are the weapons of bedeviling times

Be the Hero you can be.
    EXP: 90,981, Level: 13
    Level completed: 8%, EXP required for next level: 13,019
    Level completed: 8%,
    EXP required for next level: 13,019
    GP

Name
    Nanashi (Ingwe Helyanwe)
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Black-Brown
    Eye Color
    Black-Brown
    Build
    178cm / 70kg
    Job
    Shusai, Kensai, Monjutsushi

View Profile
    I'm glad you all took the time to do this. A great listen, one that should be mandatory for any Althanian, and although I echo BaBE in that I'm not particularly articulate in expressing my own views on the matter, you touched upon a lot of what I do try.
    -Level 10-

You made me laugh, you make me smile
    For you I will always go the extra mile
    I hope that the day will come when I can banish this pain
    I just hope that one day I will see you again

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    Jack, I just want to clarify that I wasn't criticizing the way Alyssa is written IC -- I haven't read enough of her to make a judgment like that. Rather, I wanted to bring attention to how she's treat OOC. The fact that you put effort into developing her as a real character but she's reduced to a sex symbol and romantic interest in OOC discussion is unfortunate and a symptom of the greater problems. (And by OOC discussion, I don't mean her writer -- I mean everyone involved in threads with her.)
    Last edited by Luned; 03-10-15 at 12:28 PM.
    • • • art

EXP: 4,856, Level: 2
    Level completed: 96%, EXP required for next level: 144
    Level completed: 96%,
    EXP required for next level: 144
    GP

Name
    Erirag the Poet
    Race
    Orc
    Hair Color
    Brown, streaked with red like the barren fields of battles past
    Eye Color
    A dirty amber; the color of the liquor best drank from a skull.
    Build
    7' 1" // 323 lbs
    Job
    Bard

I really loved the podcast and thought it made a lot of great points. I really think that everyone on the site (me included) can listen to this and be mindful of how we're writing our female characters, especially NPCs. I know that I've been guilty of putting female NPCs into tropes before without really fleshing them into believable characters in their own rights.
    -0-
    The Rest is Still Unwritten
    Uk Pral Nar Shofat

EXP: 38,568, Level: 8
    Level completed: 40%, EXP required for next level: 5,432
    Level completed: 40%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,432
    GP

Name
    Arphenion De Lecuyer
    Race
    Half-Elf (Raiaeran
    Hair Color
    Golden
    Eye Color
    Emerald
    Build
    5ft 6in / 130lbs
    Job
    Tap-touched Mage

View Profile
    Brilliant. This was a long listen, but definitely worth the listen. Enlightening, deep, and very thought provoking. I don't really listen to podcasts, but if this is the way the series continues I will be following it each time for sure. =)

As an aside: I believe it was Jess that mentioned it, but I think it would be interesting to get significant others of writers on the site to talk about whether we all change while writing posts and mentioning how we change. Lol
    Last edited by Ranger; 03-10-15 at 03:29 PM.

EXP: 4,095, Level: 2
    Level completed: 70%, EXP required for next level: 905
    Level completed: 70%,
    EXP required for next level: 905
    GP

Name
    Fox Owen Xavier
    Race
    Kitsune
    Hair Color
    Fox Red
    Eye Color
    Light brown
    Build
    5'4 / 120 pounds
    Job
    Potion Crafter

View Profile
    I definitely agree with the comments both in the podcast and posts about cleaning up chat. I personally am not offended (I tend to just ignore whenever it gets to those 'topics') but I think it would be best for the site to make general chat free of such things.

As for the main topic of the podcast, I think everyone did a wonderful job of covering different perspectives and opening up my narrow mind. I especially think it was engaging and very helpful to hear the female view on the issue. I have been trying to create a female character and this definitely helps me to avoid some pitfalls and hopefully create a better and more interesting character. Thank you again, Luned, Rayleigh, Amber, Alydia, and Sulla for bringing up all these great points.

Keep up the great work and hope the rest of the series turns out just as great.

Wayward Scribe
    EXP: 24,427, Level: 6
    Level completed: 64%, EXP required for next level: 2,573
    Level completed: 64%,
    EXP required for next level: 2,573
    GP

Name
    Luned Bleddyn
    Race
    Human
    Hair Color
    Chestnut
    Eye Color
    Blue
    Build
    5'4"/Average
    Job
    Chronicler

View Profile
    Sorry for making assumptions, Fox –– I think I just figured that since you're always ready to back me up when I ask people to be more careful of what they're saying in chat. Either way, I should thank you for that! The backup is always super appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the podcast, too. : )
    • • • art

Wide eyed & bushy tailed
    EXP: 59,008, Level: 10
    Level completed: 46%, EXP required for next level: 5,992
    Level completed: 46%,
    EXP required for next level: 5,992
    GP

Name
    Remedy Blue

(This was for international woman's day right? Or was it luck it was posted the day afterwards >.>)

That sort of discussion is exactly what I love about Althanas. It took me freaken forever to get through the whole recording, I kept getting interrupted, or realising I started listening to an hour and a half recording 20min before I wanted to go to bed. Also, when I finished just now the power flicked on and off just to hammer in the point.

I've only really RPed two females, the first is Talen in a female form and the second is Remedy. The others don't really have anywhere near the background of those two. One issue i realised really quickly with Female Talen though is that it is a 13y/o boy pretending to be a woman, and she suffers from a lot of what came up in the thread. Remedy though is much better constructed, and I'm much more aware of what I'm trying to do with her.

The challenge with Remedy when I wrote a solo for her was to balance the fact that others see her as a young woman with how I portray her for my narrative perspective. There is a scene where she enters the shop of a man slightly older than her who has known her for a very long time and has a crush on her. It was a challenge to get that balance right where I don't drop her character for this 'romance' that just hangs around every female character. That said, if I can capture that relationship without dumbing it down too much, then I've done pretty well.

The big three things I try and stay away from, and very much dislike in other peoples writing of female characters is promiscuity, being a liar, fickle (or bitchy) and manipulative (especially via sex). When men put women down they often slot them down into one of these categories, and when sexism emerges from a discussion it often takes one of these forms. For example, gamergate, or the treatment of Aus's last prime minister (nicknamed Juliar).

I know you can rally a compelling argument about it suiting the time or location, but I cringe every time I read the word 'whore'. I think its over the top, debasing and attention seeking, I really, really don't like it (Sorry Phi ). A female character is no more likely to be a prostitute than a male character a slave. Where are all the male slaves?!