The door swung open, Vindrexis a smirk on his lips. McKinley stumbled back, falling onto the bed. “Hello,” his voice was rich and smooth. She licked her lips nervously, slowly she watched him close the door behind him. She pushed herself backwards into the corner where the wall met the bed.

“Wh-where is Avin,” her words slurred out.

Her bright crystal gaze stared at the door, wishing-willing for the bird-man to come busting in. The Godling moved closer to her, slowly he closed the distance. Visibly she shook like a leaf in a windstorm. He reached out to her, she flinched away from his touch.

“Avin, Avin is tied up at the moment,” his toned dripped with amusement.

McKinley didn’t understand if that held a secret meaning or if he was just being coy with her. At this very moment she regretted agreeing to come here. Tightly she wrapped her arms around her legs pulling them to her chest.

“You don’t lock a guest in the room you give them unless you are intending to keep me here.” Her voice was barely above a whisper.

Vindrexis stroked his chin. She wasn’t sure if he was truly thinking or doing the motion just for the effect. “I can’t have you wondering the village, dear McKinley. And there were things going on such innocent eyes like yours should not want to see. Please get up from that position.” He offered his hand once more. His slender eyebrow arched, as if he was almost daring her to deny his help a second time.

With such ease he pulled her flush against his chest. A small gasp left her pink flush lips, his hand brushed back a few of her red tendrils from her face. “See I do not mean to harm you, dear girl.” His bronze gaze bore into her. He was doing it again, not necessarily looking at her but into her soul or something.

McKinley stepped around him, to put space between the two of them. His touch made her feel almost violated. She was close to the doorway for the bathroom, she took a deep breath and turned to face him. That smug smirk still plastered on his lips, intense bronze gaze.

“Why did you bring Avin back to life? Why not let him be at peace?” The question that had been on her mind since the bird-man explained what happened to him. It leapt from her lips without a moment for her to stop herself.

Vindrexis gave her a curious smile and straightened. “I needed a warrior. Avin's race makes very fine ones. He is entirely accepting of his situation and even after we made him, Sabazios and I, he was happy enough with it that he swore fealty to us both. We brought him back out of necessity, out of a need for a soldier to go to war.” He paused. “You do know that there we have an enemy, do you not? A fearsome, chaotic and evil man who is mostly god that, for the past thirty years, has been ruining the lives of mortals?”

McKinley nodded her head slowly, “Avin told me about your arch rival and that you sent him to kill his slave… Why can you not do this on your own. You are a godling after all.” She chewed nervously on the inside of her cheek.

“Half god, but yes Sabazios’ followers here like that time for me. It is rather sweet, is it not?” He grinned slowly. “But that is also my point. I am divine. I am a leader of people. Like a general. Do generals go to the front lines? No, they stay behind. If they are lost then the war is ultimately lost. Do you want this war against such a tyrant to be lost already?” His eyes were intense.

McKinley shrugged at first, her hands intertwining in front of her. “I know nothing of war, or many things for that fact. I am just curious is all, you a godling and the fat Greek a demon. I assumed you could easily subdue your enemies.” She briefly looked at him before down at her fingers laced together.

Vindrexis paused. “I do not know this term 'greek’ but … so you are naïve. That means you have no idea for what you speak of, therefore many of your questions are invalid,” he tilted his head. “Poor innocent girl. You need an education. Perhaps I should be your teacher.”

McKinley flinched at his harsh words as if he had physically slapped her. “Greek is the heritage of the place Greece that you could travel to where I am from.. as for an education- I was an orphan and slave at one point so no I do not have much of one. I am smart enough to know when you speak in riddles you are only speaking half truths.” She almost glared as he had insulted her intelligence. McKinley felt anywhere else her questions would be considered well asked. Here though, she felt daft anytime she opened her mouth.

“... Are you now?” he smirked. Then he took a step back. “I think you need some time alone to think about things. About your place in the universe. About what relationship gods have with mortals. About the right of gods have over their creations’ lives.”

And then he started back to the door. “Oh and by the way,” he said with a last thought as he placed his hand on the door. “The lover you mentioned to Avin … you should know he does not love you, but his goddess instead.”

Then he grabbed the handle and strode out.

She watched as her heart shattered, it falling to the floor scattering to different corners of the Earth like the shadow fleeing from the light.

McKinley chased after the godling but the door closed swiftly behind him. Her newly healed fist pounded against the door. Sobs raked over her small frame.

“Let me out! I want to leave! You can’t keep me here..” She gulped for air with each plea. Her chest felt as if it was on fire. There was no way her beloved, Josh didn’t love her. He had said it himself, he did.

Her heart ached that much more as she realized she was trying to convince herself. It made sense how could a powerful fighter love a mere human. “Vindrexis, let me out!” She sobbed, her body slid down the length of the door and on to the floor.

Avin had betrayed her, he had led her here and told them her secrets. She curled into a small ball, wishing for it all to go away. She couldn’t help but feel like a kidnapped slave once more.