(Closed to Flamebird)

Tall, handsome and bold, the man in the portrait was the epitome of what some thought of as the perfect specimen of a man. Fine, carved features, with an elegant chin, a firm look in his heavenly blue eyes and waves of pure white hair falling around his cheeks. Upon his lips was the curve of a subtle smile, that told of secrets and stories beyond what the normal methodologies of discovery could uncover. He was dressed in a fine, tailored suit, made by hands that clearly knew how to make him look strong and distinctive. Proud, he sat with a straight back and a demeanour that spoke aristocrat - truly he was defined, powerful and rich.

But the kenku looking at the portrait already knew that. After all, he was her master, her employer, and, most importantly, her god.

At least he had claimed her, as his father, the genuine entity who had created her race, had also discarded her race. Thus, when Sir Vitruvion Elssmith - noble, merchant, scholar and in secret according to the treaty he had formed with the Raiaeran Pantheon - had found her, and figured out what she was to him, he had claimed her as his own. Entirely. Already he had had her body, after that he had ensured her mind was bonded to his by way of a heavily enchanted cuff at her wrist. And then, most recently, he had established ownership over her soul, making her immortal when she had never wanted to be. He was a selfish, possessive, obsessive beast of a man who had ruined her life ... then made it worth something.

My dear, you are being distracting again.

Stare rolled her eyes as she turned herself away from the portrait, the thoughts of all that had transpired between her and Vitruvion falling to mere errant whimsies. Instead she twisted to face the rest of the front hall of the house on Bottleberry Avenue, Vitruvion's Raiaeran home. A gilt-edged door stood to one side of the hall, on the smaller end of the rectangle that was its shape. Opposite that an elegant staircase rose and then split into two to ascend the next level on either side. A small cabinet and two other doors came off from the house, and along with the portrait they made up the entirety of the room.

You are the one who can leave my mind, she sighed gently. For all their conversations took place in her mind. None of them in his. No matter how many times Stare had tried she could not gain into that godly brain, despite the connection. If I am a distraction then go away.

She briefly caught an image of his feet striding down the hallway. The view rose to reveal a long corridor as he lifted his own sight, and she heard the faint clacking of his infamous cane rapping on the floor as he walked.

I have told you enough it is a habit now, he answered, showing her an imagined image of his quirked smile, one that matched the portrait, But that aside, I have need of you. Brer is missing.

Stare paused, straightening. Brer was a good friend, and a strong, loyal warrior to Vitruvion. When Stare had first been introduced to the megalomaniac god (when she had actually been his prisoner/sex slave) Brer had been her guard. Quickly, when Vitruvion and her's real connection had been discovered, the half-giant who loved nothing better than curling up with a good romance novel had become her ally. Now he was a good friend, and co-worker, happily grunting when he answered her.

Brer is missing? she asked, astounded, Brer ... the half-giant. Huge, and - She began to scoff at the irony.

Vitruvion growled impatiently. Yes, Stare, missing. He was last seen in a public house, apparently not far from where you are. I am currently busy with - that does not matter. What does is you find his trail. The clicking of his stick got louder as he began to walk faster, clearly more irritated. Just go, will you. The Golden Hind, I believe the establishment was unimaginatively called.

The kenku glared at the ground, but could not help admit - she was worried for Brer herself, and wanted to do everything she personally could to help find him too. Yet, the way Vitruvion was speaking to her, nay the way he always spoke to her ...

Stare? her employer asked.

Letting out a sigh Stare nodded, straightening and rolling back her shoulders. She ducked into the cabinet, seizing a woollen cloak from within and throwing it around her shoulders. Yeah? I am going.

Good, the god said in a more pleased tone, clearly satisfied. As usual I will be watching.