Level completed: 79%,
    EXP required for next Level: 879

GP

Name
    Yvonne Mythrilmantle
    Race
    Grey Dwarf

View Profile
    Yvonne sipped two more spoonfuls of her soup making that three altogether. This was the polite moment to enter into the conversation. She’d had a modest taste of dinner and the twenty questions had begun. The Alerian brought her napkin to her lips delicately, resettling it over her lap afterward.

“I offered me services ta keep meself busy, Mother. I don’t like ta rest on me laurels. Time be short and there be much ta do,” Yvonne explained, feeling unusually reserved beneath Matilda’s unrelenting gaze.

Was it how matter-of-factly she broached the subjects of her skin tone and lack of height? Or was it the civilized accusation she was going to leave this place before long regardless - she was essentially unreliable. Yvonne resumed her soup-sipping, tasting another three spoonfuls to give herself a moment to assemble her defenses, gather her resolve. It was folly to lie to an elderly woman and foolish to speak in half-truths. Their experience always allowed them to see right through you.

“In truth yer polite decline won’t discourage me - tha baker, tha blacksmith or tha local inn all may have need of me. It be an intention of mine ta ingratiate meself with as many of Stonevale’s inhabitants as possible. Yer orphanage be tha first stop toward proving ta tha people here there be more than one side ta dark elves. That one of us be worthy of trust and respect. That one of us can stand out from tha rest as kind and helpful,” Yvonne revealed, feeling somewhat insecure as she was laid bare before the old woman’s harsh scrutiny.

The half-dwarf took another bite of her bread, blinking her confused silver eyes many times, feeling long-winded like she had said too much and yet disconnected - said too little. She tried to keep the sigh from escaping her but it wouldn’t listen. At least it was soft.

“Yer right ta allude toward tha probability I may be moving on in time. Henry and I have it in common. Goodbye be a certainty but it doesn’t mean I can’t lend a hand here in tha meantime. I have allies and friends in far away places and one day their call will take me away from this quiet little burb,” the grey dwarf admitted, having a drink from her glass of water. The cool liquid felt cleansing and revitalizing.

Feeling better Yvonne concluded her little speech, saying, “That said I never forget where I’ve come from and I believe tha next generation after me be of utmost importance. The wee ones deserve tha best chance at a good life, a better upbringing than mine, because one day they will be tha ones influencing society. A rough time of it when young could have an adverse affect on them during their adult life.”

Yvonne fell silent. Her eyes subtly widened. She may have overstepped her place there - that last sentence could be construed as insulting to her adversary.

Yvonne, Yvonne, Yvonne… ye and yer big mouth. She glanced at Henry for support.
    Last edited by Yvonne; 05-18-2018 at 06:21 AM.
    So I’m cutting that branch off the cherry tree.
    Singing this will be my victory.
    Then I, I see them coming after me.
    And they’re following me across the sea.
    And now they’re stinging my friends and my family.
    And I, I don’t know why this is happening.
    ~ Thrice, Black Honey.