As Yvonne talked about Alerar the full blooded dark elf felt a sense of sadness overwhelm her. Lilly was unsure if she’d ever get to return there. For now she just had the memories of great feats of engineering, magnificently crafted zeppelins, and the indescribable familiarity of ‘home.’ As the memories of Alerar spun through her mind they formed a singularity too great to be kept confined in her head, letting slip, “I wouldn’t worry... I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to return home.” Lilly’s eyes were off far away. Lost in memory.

Somehow speaking the words into existence cemented their reality though. Her words confirmed the worries she had. Lillian Svalesin may get to walk the streets in disguise. Lilthis Shadefell would never be welcomed. Her ideas, likewise, would never be welcomed. Not in her lifetime.

Luckily, the smaller elf showed genuine interest in Lilly’s work. And she’d much rather discuss that. It was a happier subject. As the dirt path crunched under the duo’s boots the young woman formulated how best to answer Yvonne’s curiosity.

“For most spells science can already explain the what,” Lilly looked up at the stars, drawing out the explanation a bit, “but it cannot explain the how. The machinations of it all. How the puzzle pieces intertwine together to form a coherent image.” She wished to zero in a bit closer to home. Yvonne was bright but most people tended to have more of an interest in something once it related to them.

“Stone skin is a fairly common spell. Part of the school of abjuration, a school of protective magics. But it can take on many forms,” Lilly adjusted a gear or two on her gauntlet, still a bit nervous that her words may be judged, “my working theory is that the spell was created by early Magi as part of an instinctive survival mechanism. It would make sense, your life is in danger and you stiff up, trigger something deep within to protect yourself.”

The dark elf was unsure about commenting on Yvonne’s claim to be capable of soothing minds. Her new associate was a self-proclaimed novice who had shown masterful displays of diplomacy in the tavern. Lilly had a theory that sometimes mages could assert their mystic arts unwittingly, especially the uninitiated. Granted, this theory was untested but what if Lilly was so trusting of the smaller elf due to a spell? What if the orc had so easily complied because the smaller elf put his mind at ease?

Best not share those thoughts just yet... they may prove to insult or scare her.

Instead the dark elf offered, “ah, but to go back to what you said earlier, I feel it is a true shame that you do not feel as if you can share who you are.” Trying to choose her words carefully, precisely, she pressed on, “you have something wonderful that our brethren do not understand. And I can assure you that is exactly why most sel darthirii despise magic.” Lilly was completely immersed now, fully tinkering with the nozzles and gears of her gauntlet. “They cannot understand it currently, therefore it is beyond their control,” she reasoned.

“Neither of us can ever be ourselves. You for your wondrous abilities and me for my research,” was her next statement. Neglecting to include Yvonne’s dwarfism, Lilly’s shaded past, or the fact that the two weren’t really comparable. Quickly Lilly corrected herself, “I’m sorry. It is not fair to compare us. You were born with magic and I chose this burden. I cannot understand what your dilemma must feel like,” Lilly sounded a bit less sure of herself as she continued, “maybe at some point you’ll get to show me your talents, but only if you feel comfortable doing so.”

As the two continued down the dirt path the mine became visible off a detour to their right. Down a further sloping hill the mine’s gray cobblestone protruded from the ground. It looked rather small but Lilly reasoned to herself that it must descend quite deep, it was once a very prosperous mine in it’s hay day. At their current pace they would reach the mine in only a few more moments. The dark elf hoped it was warmer inside the mine than it was out in the dead of night.