“Who d’you think could have taken her?” Jake Narmolanya asked, his wiry arms folded across his narrow chest. The one-eyed half elf stood in the center of Kinley’s living room, staring at the violin laying on the table and sniffing the air. He had a knack for portals and a nose for their residues.

“That’s the problem,” Breaker said. “It could be almost anyone who managed to put together the coin for a professional team. Or it could be a highly trained cadre of some sort. Either way, they didn’t leave any clues except the spells, and I didn’t hear a thing.” He balled his fists in frustration and looked around for something, anything that they might have left behind.

“You said they portalled her right out of here, right?” Jake asked, sniffing the air again.

“I assumed so,” Breaker replied, “why?”

“I don’t think they did,” the half elf replied. “C’mon, let’s take a look out the back door.” He led the way down the hall.

“If they’d gone out this way, I would have heard them.” Breaker insisted.

“Unless they were that good,” Jake pointed out. “You always used to tell me to expect the impossible from my enemies. Well?” He opened the door and bent double, moving slowly out onto the grass. “Look, see, the ground here is all scuffed.” He flourished a hand and conjured a ball of flame to illuminate the soil.

“That could have been caused at any time,” Breaker pointed out.

“Just humor me,” Jake said, leading the way out into the darkness. “Let’s say they ran more or less a straight line out the back door, toward the trees.” He scampered off, and Josh raced after him, easily keeping pace. Jake slowed as they neared the treeline, its limbs reaching out like skeletal arms. “Ha!” Jake exclaimed. He bent down again. “Look, fresh blood. She must have fought back.”

“She knows how,” Josh mused, “but that could just as easily be her blood.”

“Stay positive,” Jake replied. “I can sense the outgoing portal residue. They probably came out here out of fear that you’d detect it opening inside.”

“Can you trace it?” Josh asked, desperation in his voice.

“Yeh,” Jake replied, rubbing his hands together. “Give me about twenty minutes to figure everything out, and then I should have a location for you. Where are you going?” He asked.

“To get Kinley some things,” Breaker replied as he stalked back toward the cottage. “She was barely dressed when they took her.”

“You don’t think-” Jake said.

“I’m thinking positive.” Breaker interrupted.