Aaaaaaaaaaaannnndd… There! I clapped my hands together, knocking wood dust off of them, and smiled proudly at my accomplishment. It had taken me some time to get the materials together - and even longer figuring out how to set them up so I could take them apart later and hang them off of my traveling case - but I had finally finished it!

Traveling Physician - Consults and Medicine! Proclaimed the thin banner stretched between two wooden poles. The poles were attached - well, slid into holes made for them - to a small booth that had been carefully pieced together. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but I was still proud of it because it was mine. So what if the grain on the wooden boards didn't match properly? So what if the pole on the right was just a bit crooked? I wasn't a carpenter or a handyman, I was a healer!

I mean, yes, sure probably having a traveling medicine stand was a bit odd in this day and age, when most people went directly to doctors or physicians - but I wasn't interested in the big cities. Way too many people. No, I would travel between small towns and hamlets, and try to help people. Even if-

“Why hello there young man.”

“YEEEEK!” I let out a cry and dove behind my stand when someone suddenly spoke up from behind me. I hit the ground and curled up behind the stand for a moment - until the soft sound of giggling reached my ears. Slowly, cautiously, I perked my head up above the wooden board that was serving as my stand, and looked at the person who had spoken.

It was an older woman, hair graying at the temples, and she was currently giggling at me from behind her hand. Her eyes danced with amusement that was plain to see, and I gave her a flat glare from over the wood. This just seemed to set her off into a fresh round of giggles, which lasted a fair minute before she finally managed to contain herself. She gave one last chuckle before coughing into her hand.

“My my, my apologies little one, I certainly didn't mean to startle you so badly.” She gave me a small, polite bow. “Now then young one - are your parents letting you out to play?” I stood up straighter and crossed my arms over my chest, glaring grumpily at her. “Oh my, such a ferocious look you have! But you should stop puffing out your cheeks.”

Erk. Whoops. I let my arms dropped and deflated, and my tail drooped down to curl behind me. I looked down to the side, I.. Couldn't really match the woman’s amused gaze. Why did it hve to be someone who didn't have something wrong with them at first glance? I couldn't push my reticence away if I didn't have a project…

“Young one, your parents?” I huffed when she spoke again, trying to prompt me.

“Ma’am. Despite how I might look, I am a full grown man, and a trained healer. This is my stand, not some game.” From the corner of my eye I saw her blink a few times, then cough into her hand. Hah. The voice always throws them off.

“I-see. Well then.” She paused for a moment - then began speaking again, listing off some symptoms. Apparently her grandchild had come down with something, and neither she nor the child’s parents knew what to do. It took me a few minutes of questions to finally narrow down a likely cause. An insect sting and venom, from when the child was out playing. After she described the insect to me, I was able to make a simple remedy and a salve for the pain. She paid, and took off at a rapid pace, and I nodded to myself.

Even if I was small, I could still help! Take that, temple that swore I wouldn't progress anywhere but with them! I settled back behind my stand, hoping for another person to come by soon.