Days had passed since Hayate found out about the horrible fate of his Clan. He hadn’t spoken to anyone or attended any of the Brotherhood meetings. Hayate neglected to even eat as he felt himself begin to wither away. His entire life had changed in a matter of months and Hayate couldn’t fathom the gravity of everything. He though giving up his arm for freedom was hard but nothing compared to the loneliness he felt.

On the brighter side of things Shinsou had set Hayate up with a small estate that he had made just for the lone Amatsukami. Located about an hour’s walk from Whitevale Hayate lived in this custom made Akshiman styled manor making it his own when he wasn’t stricken with overwhelming grief. As one could imagine this was a slow process and despite the generous donations he had been receiving the manor remained mostly empty.The days seemed to blend into one another as Hayate drifted farther and farther into depression.

What’s done is done, Yamato said as he and Hayate rested in the Amatsukami’s dark chambers. Dwelling on the past will only make you weak.

It was my rash judgment that caused this. Hayate thought back as he pulled his thick blanket over his head. If only I had gone with them into the escape tunnels they might still be here.

You did what you thought was best, how could you have known they had discovered the tunnels?

It doesn’t matter what I thought.

It does, you acted in the best interest of your family.

And look where it got us. It was nice to have Yamato but it didn’t much lessen the pain Hayate felt from losing his clan. But if nothing else this lit a fire with the young swordsman. He had only one thing on his mind.