Ashla was shocked to see that her sword alone sparked a sudden, sharp, flame in her eyes. Yet, as their weapons clashed once again, she still took notice of how distant those eyes still were. Ashla bit her lip, contemplating.

She darted back, putting the sword away and instead unsheathing her new rapier, and her old dagger Deadpetal. The four blades the girls carried sparkled like white lights against the night. As the sound of their weapons deafened the sounds of the shores behind them, Ashla gritted her teeth.

Felicity was beyond reason. In Ashla’s attempts to make the girl strong, she had been breaking her that whole time. She broke yet another onslaught of wild strikes with a parry, still attempting to flee to the ship ahead. Unwilling to drag the black market sailors into her fight, her war, Ashla realized she would have to end this fight, not flee it.

Sheathing her rapier, she twisted the dagger into a icepick grip as Felicity raced in. Using old Rondell Dagger techniques, Ashla wrapped and constricted her and her former student’s weapons. Careful not to make her bleed, Ashla disarmed her once again. Dropping her own knife, Ashla raised a leg and kicked the girl.

Flashbacks flickered in her mind. Brutally beating a teenager in attempts to strengthen her. If she was beat down enough, the beating would not affect her anymore. Except… except she was so, so wrong. Tears glistened in Ashla’s eyes as she watched the familiar redhead crumple to the ground. Then, she stood up again. She murmured, echoing words from those inhumane training sessions.

“Get up, useless sack of meat. Get up. We’re not done yet.”

Tears slipped down Ashla’s cheeks. What have I done to her?

Felicity pushed on without weapons, striking with sloppy boxing moves. Ashla easily averted them, regardless of her blurred vision.

Why did I always have to be so wrong?

Close to the edge of the waters, Ashla turned, ducking behind Felicity’s back as she kicked her leg.

What was wrong with me? What is wrong with me?

As Felicity sputtered and panted, Ashla turned aside.

Why did it have to end like this?

Her left hand’s fingers twitched, Cold steam started to flow from their tips.