She had reason to be terrified.

Ashla sighed, looking down towards the ground. White pebbles and grey rocks littered the ground. She felt the weight of her pack on her back. She was aware of the weapons she carried at her side.

“You have every reason to be scared. I’m sorry.”

She looked up at peridot eyed girl.

“Felicity…”

She had picked her up from the side of the road when she could be counted a child. She trained her in how to use a sword, to survive. Yet, her methods were more than crooked. She knew she only had herself to blame for the distrust and paranoia in that young woman’s eyes.

“… I won’t be troubling you much longer.”

“-Where are you going?”

Felicity took a single, swift step forward. Her limbs shook, hands limp. Beneath her white hood, Ashla saw the outcome of what she had done to her. I hope to never trouble you again… Felicity…

She looked away again, crossing her arms. “Salvar.”

“What?”

She looked back towards her again. Beneath the hood, she was surprised to see… was that anger? No, it could not be. Felicity’s anger was explosive and extroverted. Never had she seen her in a fit of rage held inside like that. Why would she be upset anyways? If Ashla was finally getting out of her life? The wind provided little aid against the rapidly rising temperatures of her sweaty body. Still, despite her internal confusion, she remained calm. Cold, even. Anything to defuse the bomb before the black powder set it off in flames.

“I’m leaving for Salvar.” Her eyes narrowed, “I may not come back.”

“Why?”

The rapid fire questions were uncomfortable, demanding. This was not what Ashla had wanted. She wanted to say farewell, apologize… Felicity was questioning her like she had done something wrong. Was she wrong? If she was wrong this time, at least, she knew not what it was. The blue in the sky darkened, the purple lowered in hue as the moon rose higher in the sky. Sunlight still shone out from where the sea bathed most of its shape. They did not have long.

“… Lye Ulr-“

“-Shut up.” Felicity blurted. The darkness covered her face, her hood providing more hade than the dim lights. Ashla looked back towards the ship, knowing it would soon depart. “I must go soon. Fel-“

“I said shut up!” The redhead barked. She moved. Ashla heard her footsteps approaching her. They were strangely light and slow, yet still filled with a purpose she could not understand. Then, understanding bolted through her as she heard a blade unsheathe.

Felicity held a knife to her back.