Quote Originally Posted by Ebivoulya View Post
Neat idea, reminds me of the Dajas Pagoda. Would like some clarification on two points, though.

Firstly, a bit of wording confusion:

I had to check this thread to know what that meant; it sounds like if you win by enough points, all your rewards will be waived. I think "but bonus rewards that would arise" would be enough to clarify.
I can clear that up for you. So, the main idea was that the Iron League would try to focus more on the IC aspect of fighting. As you know you can sometimes lose a fight but win the judgment, which would make no sense if the Iron League was something recognised and canonised in character. After some discussion we decided that most fights tend to be decided by fine margins.

To try and bring judgments for the Iron League more in line with the IC result, we are offering a "win bonus" of 5 points to the judgment score. That may not seem a lot but, when I did my research, most fights (and I suspect ones that are in the Iron League will fall into this category) are decided by fine margins of a few points. There are exceptions, obviously (such as when the quality of a writer overwhelms their opponent), but 90% of the time you would be surprised to learn the average win gap is 4.75 points.

Now, there is a rule when calculating battle EXP for the winner that the formula is based on how much of a gap there is between the two scores. A win bonus that isnt part of the official Althanas rubric may well trigger additional EXP (due to increasing the points gap between winner and loser) and this could be seen as the Iron League threads giving an unfair advantage to players.

Therefore the idea is that we waive the bonus EXP idea entirely and stick purely to standard EXP. No one gains or loses out on the rewards front.

Whilst I appreciate the additional scoring is not foolproof, and people can still win by judgment, it will make it harder to just get by on good writing and the idea is people will try harder to actually win by use of tactics. Its not completely foolproof, granted, but in every battle I have seen so far I have felt there is more intensity, more will to win. Less scripted shit and more classic battling. Yes, there will be an argument to say we may see more tenious situations where people avoid hits they may otherwise have taken in a "writing quality" battle, but judges will be on hand to ensure that any powergaming is marked down.

Its still in its infancy, so im hoping to see results pan out well.

To clarify, i'm still open to ideas. I'd like to see how these first battles pan out and then we can sit down and judge whether or not the scoring, judgments and battles are going the way we would expect them to using the above criteria.