“I understand. The others feel the same.”

“Duffy, you mean?” Lilith smirked. “Leopold wouldn’t dare leave your side.”

“Yes. Duffy talked about the troupe and trying to go back to that life, but the spark is long gone. When Lysander’s deed is done, and the torch passes to Duffy he’s going to leave for Radasanth.”

“I wish I could see him.” Lilith smirked wider. “The thought of all that worldly knowledge and talent in the body of a boy amused me.”

“He looks the same as when I first met him. Cheeky little smirk, snotty nose, and intolerable curiosity and lanky as a streak of bacon.”

“Ha! You must be a saint to not want to slap him all the time.”

“It’s refreshing. No more half-truths and grand schemes to save the world. Just a boy wanted to see the world.” Ruby pushed herself up and swept the fringe from her eyes. “I said goodbye to Duffy thirty years ago. It’s easier to part ways when someone’s already dead to you.”

“This isn’t goodbye, Ruby. Even if our lives carry us to distant shores you will always be my sister.” Lilith drew a symbol in the air and brought warmth into the clearing as afternoon turned to a cool evening. “We’ve grown apart in distance but closer in spirit. You will always be welcome here.”

“And you in Salvar.”

“You misunderstand. I can’t leave.”

“Can’t, or won’t?” Ruby pouted.

“Both. I have always chosen you no matter the cost to my home. Now, without question, Akashima comes first. If I leave, everything I have worked for and everything we sacrificed to change the world will be for naught.”

“I respect that.” Ruby pressed for more in her mind but let it rest. “Without the Aria, though, the journey here takes three weeks.”

Lilith nodded. “I know. You have spoken of Duffy and you know my decision. What will you and Leopold do?”

“When Leopold’s business in Salvar is stable I intend to return to Raiaera and finish my education.”

“That’s fantastic news!” Lilith beamed a smile. “You were always the better singer.”

“The world still burns from the cataclysm, but some scars still blemish the land from long before. I want to help rebuild Raiaera and help them move on from Xem’Zund.”

“An admirable goal. Please, though, do me one favour.”

“Oh?”

“You have one life left. Do not waste it helping others. We have done that for aeons. Treasure every moment as though it were your last.”

“Funnily enough that’s what Leopold said.”

“At least he read my letters…”

“Oh stop, I get it, I’m a terrible sister!”

“The absolute worst,” Lilith said with relish. “But thank you for coming. Late, but better than never.”

“Maybe one day I’ll visit for visiting’s sake and not to tell you the world is ending.”

“I’d like that. Tea, perhaps? Uncle Sei still clings to life in the mountains but his daughter runs the Teahouse now.” Lilith stood and tightened her obi. Ruby stood also, though gave up tending to her appearance.

“I’ll leave looking fabulous and upholding legacies to you, dear sister.” Another hug brought their reunion to an end.

“And I, dear sister, will leave the happy ever afters to you.” They exchanged a bow.

“Can I see you one last time?”

Lilith smiled. At last, they reached an understanding. Though they pledged to see one another, they both knew that this would be the last time they crossed paths. Time had not been kind to either of them. Lilith let the power of the Kami flow through her and transformed into a fox as tall as an ox with nine flaming tails whipping behind her. Ruby let her own power broil and her hair burst aflame. She waved goodbye awkwardly and painfully before vanishing in a whirl of blue ribbons and regret.

The Kitsune darted into the bamboo thicket, its whimper echoing through the garden long into the night.