“So what will you do instead?” With his liquor spent, he instead thought of the gold she could bring plying her ample talents to the furthering of their business in Salvar. She made deals and connections he could only dream of, though he was not sure if it was her acumen or her bosom that swayed men’s hearts. Perhaps both?

“If you think I’m being your trophy wife, think again.” Ruby could see her husband’s mind hard at work.

“I’d never suggest such a thing, you’re just exemplary at building a customer base.”

“A favour if you recall. I’ve given you a head start it’s up to you to make the most of it.” Ruby adjusted herself in her chair, a wince indicating she too had enough of headstrong conversation.

“I very much appreciate it. Go on, then, enlighten me?”

“My power lies in spell song. My voice defines me, its’ power stemming from my elven heritage. I will return to Raiaera to finish my education.”

Once, Ruby had been an elf and learnt blade singing under the scrutiny of the High Bladesinger. She had fled the country at the end of the Corpse War, circumstances leading to them killing Nalith before the High Council. Though the elves believed them traitors, the simulacrum of Pode had poisoned their minds and their deed allowed Nalith to turn the tide of the war upon her return.

“Do you think you will be welcome?”

“I will atone for our crimes. They will know what we did was necessary. Nalith will have proved Pode instructed their Council with her doppelganger.” Ruby sounded certain, but Leopold’s expression told her he remained unsure.

“We killed the High Bladesinger in broad daylight. That scar will run deep.”

“I’ll drag the Forgotten One’s corpse into the capital myself if I have to. We were never the enemy.”

“Fair enough. You know whatever you do you have my support.”

“You know what it is I’m asking, then?”

“Not once have I ever denied your whims.”

Ruby chuckled. “I’m not that insufferable, am I?”

Leopold finished the last of his cocktail and let the silence talk for him.

“Fine, fine…I have my moments. Let us hope the Aria remains in Lysander’s wake so that we can utilise the portals still. Raiaera is a long way to walk.”

“There are other ways to traverse that distance I’m sure. When do you intend to go?”

“Not till the spring semester. That gives us a few months to tie up loose ends.”

Leopold nodded. “I’ll acquire your lodgings after the tax year ends. I’m not having you sleep in the dormitories.”

Ruby rolled her eyes. “I’ll be fine. What will you do?”

Ever since Lysander’s return, Leopold had thought about what the rest of his life would look like. He had three choices. First, continue with his business and settle down to a life of number crunching and business meetings. Second, he could return to Berevar and re-join the throng of the Conclave, be Rook once more. Third, he could pick up his sabre again and return to the frontlines, ever ready to save those who could not save themselves. Whatever option he chose, he doubted he would ever find the same sense of being as he once had.