The frigid air of the ascending winter pierced Black Shadow’s lungs with every breath, and a thick cloud filled the air with every exhale. A light snow gently fell from the sky, leaving a thick blanket across the landscape.

Black Shadow looked ahead at the mountain pass before him. The earth rose to extraordinary heights, meeting at sharp peaks, towering over even the tallest structures. The Niadath Pass bridged the gap between Raiaera and Alerar, two very different elvish kingdoms forever at war. The path housed many dangers, both alive and natural. One avalanche possessed the ability to wipe an entire caravan from the face of the earth, and countless wolves and ever dangerous frost trolls could annihilate even the best warriors.

“There he is!” A familiar voice called out. Black Shadow recognized Professor Feurstein waiting patiently for the archer. Beside him stood four other scrawny men with large bags on their back, as well as two warrior types. “Black Shadow, these are my colleagues, Professor Joli, Professor Barnatas, Professor Hernata, and lastly Jeb. Jeb is a student rather than a professor, but he insisted on accompanying us.”

Black Shadow nodded towards the troop then turned back towards Feurstein.

“These men will also be coming with us.” Feurstein continued. “While I fully trust your skills as an archer, I felt it best to have more than one body guard. This here is Braddok and Junala.”

Black Shadow looked at the two closely, studying their physique and estimating their skills. Braddok stood tall, his orcish profile showed its strength. A massive blood-stained axe rested on his back, looking tiny compared to his impeccable chest. His bore his chest proud, the frigid temperatures not even phasing him. He wore a black fur skirt around his waist and fur boots on his feet. Large scars covered his arms, likely claw marks from a large beast slain by the orc.

Black Shadow turned his gaze towards Junala. Braddok towered above her. Her dark elvish skin glistened in the sun. She wore a dark grey cloak which covered the majority of her skin. Two large daggers rested against her hips. She stood without confidence, appearing timid and afraid to be joining the group. Black Shadow rolled his eyes and pushed passed the two, rejoining Feurstein in briefing the other scholars.

“We need to make our way through the Niadath Pass until we reach this point here.” Professor Feurstein said, pointing at the center of the mountain pass. “From there we must create our own path north. Jeb, you’re a map maker, make sure you document our every move. If a path we attempt to take is blocked and we turn back, mark it down.”

“Yes sir.” Jeb responded, his young age showing with his high voice.

“Good. If we experience an earthquake or glacier, we will stop and attempt to uncover its origin. Professor Joli, did you bring the Aleraran prototype?”

“Yes, I have it. While I still believe using the spell that Professor Herion taught us all years ago, the device will give us accurate details on the severity of any seismic activity.”

“Good. Professors Barnatas and Hernata, you two will lead. Your experience in mountain climbing is unmatched. Please, try not to lead us off a cliff.”

The professor waved his hand for Braddok and Junala to join the group. “And you three, you have to keep us alive. This expedition is very important, more than you could ever know.”

“Braddok keep puny human alive!” The orc rang out, pounding his chest.

“Let us all hope so. Braddok, Junala, Black Shadow will be taking the lead on defense. You follow his orders. Jeb can translate sign language for you.”

“Puny human tell me what to do? HAHAHAH-“ Braddok started. Black Shadow thrust his fist into the orcs chest with lightning speed, sending him back over ten feet onto his back. The orc gasped for air as pain encompassed his lungs.

“That is why he is in charge, I trust him, and you will too. Now, let’s get moving.”