His open hand remained as she struggled to find her words. The eyes behind the mask narrowed in the slightest in response to her unease. With a flourish, Lye retreated his arm behind his back and pulled in a long breath. Green eyes traced the woman from her head to toe and two slow strides placed him at her side. She rose as high as his shoulders and while the two shared a similar fair complexion, their attire formed a stark contrast in volume. Despite this, Lye stood tall and calm with his attentions occupied with the undulating sea of the unsuspecting.

"Yes," he replied after pause. "What better event to learn about a fair, mysterious lady than an elegant ball?"

As he spoke, the sight of his will picked out several other targets of interest. He laid eyes on the redhead from earlier. The killer found it impressive to see her socializing after her first life taken. So fiery and youthful, but naïve. She spent a moment in the presence of a man who shone like roaring flame in the glow of what does not belong. Jade and emerald irises became slits and gloved hands tucked behind his back balled into fists.

'She keeps dangerous company it seems,' Lye noted to himself. Curiosity lingered at the back of his mind, but remained there as he turned a glance to his company.

"I will be honest, I half expected you not to show." A pause followed another, softer smile. "But I am glad that you did. I imagine you may have some questions."

He redirected his attention outward from their small nook of isolation. This time, his second sight pulled his attention to a small congregation. The figure in the middle struck a symphony of memories good and bad. With a huff of amusement, Lye sought to make direct eye contact with the man from across the room. The assassin raised gloved hand toward his forehead and delivered a casual salute of acknowledgement to non other than Tobias Stalt. Those in his company also held an air of caution.

'I wonder what misery and mischief you cling to now a days, Stalt,' rang the thought in his head.

"But we have the whole night to discuss," Lye continued with little sign of interruption. The bait of answers dangled so freely in the air. He turned again to her. Closer than before, he looked downward to meet her gaze and again extended his open hand. "Would you let this humble lord have a dance with you, m'lady?"

Valeaux... A name that carried enough weight to be notable to the loyalists which still served as his eyes and ears. Before him stood the daughter of a man tried and executed by agents of the Church. Those same agents now stood among them either as peace keepers, passive guests, or hunters seeking to rid the world of magic. The realm of nobles proved to be a place where rules of the land bent to their influence and a thin veil of protection hung on those in attendance. For one of the Church to take action in a place like this would surely stir praise or condemnation. It was that very thin line of uncertainty behind which Lye knew he had safety from impending conflict. Like wagging a steak to a hungry dog locked behind iron bars-- within sight but not within grasp.

And he loved it.

As for the Lady Fae, her presence with the seasoned spymaster afforded a much greater protection, for all eyes looked to him. To them, she looked the part of another poor soul tangled in the web of his madness. Despite her proximity to danger, no other place in all of Salvar could provide greater sanctuary.