Amari offered Rafael a small smile in return. He was much more energetic than Jake, which was a cause for concern in and of itself. He was lean, thin arms and legs, the woman wondered if he ate enough and part of her wanted to take him back to her home to give him a good meal. When she voiced as such Rafael laughed at her, and called her sweet. Was it really such an odd thing to want to look after those you met?

It mattered not to Amari, therein lay the second problem. Her home. Jake was adamant that she not return home, that her brother was a cruel and vindictive man, that he had done horrible things to her that she just did not know, and that was the reason they had come to this place. To restore her memories.

As they passed the initial gate they were brought into an immaculate and simple waiting room. There was a pine table and chairs in the center, bare walls and a pristine fireplace on the far wall. So spotless it looked as though it had never been used.

“Too clean…” Rafael mumbled as he took a seat at the table, screeching the chair loudly against the polished floorboards.

“I like it.” Amari mused as she carefully pulled her own chair out and pulled it in again soundlessly. “I feel you should learn a lesson from this. Your place would be much nicer without the mess.”

Rafael laughed, scratching the back of his head. “Maybe, but it feels more like home that way, yanno? I mean, don’t you feel the same?”

Amari offered him a small smile. “Yeh.” It was a white lie. She could see his sentiment, but never felt such things in her own home. She had very few possessions to call her own.

The door on the far wall creaked open and out stepped a man with an angular clean shaven face. He wore a pristine black pressed suit and white gloves. His narrow brown eyes fell on the two before him and he sighed. “I was enjoying a lovely cup of Jasmine tea, and am interrupted by a…” He paused as he eyed Rafael. “Street urchin and a…” He eyed Amari. “Coronian waif?” He shook his head. “Fine. Fine. I am Richard. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Amari gave him a short bow of her head, introducing herself. “We apologise for the intrusion. My name is Amari L’Olfsden I-”

The man’s eyes lit up. “Salvar. Nobles. Quite wealthy if I may add...I’ve done business with your family before. Your brother is a well paying client of mine.” A crude smile fell upon his lips as he sat himself at the head of the table, he put his elbows on the surface and placed his face in the palm of his hand. “I have a faint idea, but I must ask. What brings you to my doorstep Amari?”

“Wait,” Raff goggled, “you know her?”

“Of her…” Richard mused. His eyes on Amari. “Well, why are you here?”

Amari fidgeted, biting her lower lip. She wasn’t entirely sure how to answer the man. Rafael had the syringe, and she was nervous, “I uh-”

“Did Lamont send you?”

Amari visibly stiffened at the mention of her brothers name, and she practically shrank back into her chair, she glanced over to Rafael with pleading eyes, willing him to help her explain.

“She’s in need of your help,” Raff said, pulling the syringe and bag of gold Jake had given him out of his pockets. “She was injected with this, and lost her memory of last night.” He passed the syringe to the alchemist. “If you can get it back…” he tossed the coin pouch meaningfully from hand to hand.

Richard stood. “Loss of will….” He circled over toward Rafael and picked both the coin purse and the needle deftly from his hands, grimacing at how dirty Richard was. “Complete suggestive control over her…” He stopped behind Amari. “And the insurance of no repurcussions. No memory.” He placed a hand upon Amari’s shoulder.

“Observe.”

“What!? St-” Amari felt a pinprick in her neck, as Richard injected the remnants of the needle into her. Her eyes glassed over and she slumped forward. “This small amount won’t last long, an hour at best. If she keeps her physical activity to a minimum. Now. Urchin. I can do what you ask, but I have to confirm. Is that what you really want.”

Richard gestured toward the lifeless girl before him. “Her brother has been a client of mine for the last four years. In that time he has bought countless amounts. I’m not one to question what he does with them, but he always speaks fondly of Amari here. Restoring her memories may have a detrimental impact. Do you wish for me to proceed?”

Raff dry-washed his hands. “Did you have to do that to her?” He asked nervously. “Is she going to be okay?”

“I enjoy seeing my work in effect. She’ll be fine, so long as neither of us order her to do anything life threatening.” Richard gave Amari a small pat on the head. “I’m not fond of human interaction. It’s too dirty for my tastes. I will not repeat myself. Do you want me to restore her memories?”

“Y-yes.” Raff stammered, frowning down at Amari’s lifeless form. “She needs to remember.”

“Very well. Give me 10 minutes. Stay here. Do what you will.” Richard offered Rafael a smirk as he took the bag of gold and syringe with him into the next room, the door gently closing behind him.