I could see her move as if to respond, but then nothing. It was like a puff of air was exhaled and caused a small whirlwind of sand, but there was no vocalization behind it. I could see from her ragged breathing that she was injured and that she most likely needed help.

The first thing I thought about was back home, back in the hamlet of Tastow, where I had seen a mare come back from pasture lame and in pain. She had been similar, trying to right herself but unable, steadying her breath but her heart beating heavily. There was very little option for an injured animal on the farm, and looking at this woman made me wonder what I could do to help.When this had happened in the past, I had to put poor Deliliah down and I had cried for days.

Instantly I felt the weight of my own heart. This was not an animal though, right, this was a being capable of coherent thought like myself… a someone and not a something? I looked at the jagged wing on one side and the furled one on the other.

“Ma’am… or missus?” I cautioned as I walked towards her with my hands outstretched, palms showing I had nothing to harm her with. “I ain’t gonna hurt ya’, just wanna’ know whatcha need or how I can help. I’m kinda lost myself…”