Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Well. This was fun. Ushering people out one moment, only for demons to rush in the next. She drew her arming swords and jumped into the fray, slicing necks and thrusting into their red, pulsing chests. For each she cut down, more appeared. In the chaos, she lost track of her allies. She heard Elijah cry out.

I’m doing everything I can! she wanted to yell. Sweat dripped brow as she stabbed a large demon made of ink and smoke. She caught a glimpse of Azza struggling with the sword, the key to the gate. The girl needed her help, at any cost.

Sheathing her swords, Felicity charged the gate. Leoric’s unarmed training came back to her as she punched and kicked, smashing the demonic enemies. Wow, their skin burned at first! But she had no time to process the pain as more burns covered her skin. She needed more power!

Her mentors had warned her many times about what she was about to do, but right now, she needed to be the biggest threat in the room. She needed to unleash the nuclear power within her body, even though she could destroy everything around her. Even though she would lose control. No time to dwell on it.

As the demons swarmed, she bit her thumb. Power began spilling out of her. Several demons slashed a her skin, drawing more blood. More power, more madness. A cloak of orange energy swirled around her as the demons’ unholy screeches rang out. Lost in the feral rage, Felicity unleashed her power. She ripped and tore, decimating the demons, crushing their skulls, pulling limb from limb. All the while, they burned in the nuclear cloak and recoiled at the radiation bursting from her. Rage. Pure rage. This… this thing Felicity had chosen to let loose from its cage…

… was far more of a monster than any demon here was.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Loremaster

EXP: 74,034, Level: 11
    Level completed: 76%, EXP required for next Level: 2,966
    Level completed: 76%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,966

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Elijah groaned, climbing back to his feet. Everything hurt, but the scene before him wiped such thoughts from his mind. Starfire consumed the chamber, burning hotter than even Elijah’s dragon flame. A flash, then only ash remained. Elijah’s heart lurched in his chest. Amidst the ash stood a sun in a woman’s shape, wearing Felicity’s face. He feared few things, but now he stared down a force of nature. Yet, that force of nature turned its face to his student. His student.

“Felicity!” he roared, striding across the charred chamber. The woman was lost to her power; when she turned to him, her eyes bore no recognition. Pure rage consumed her humanity. White hot flames erupted from her body, surging for Azza. Elijah clenched his teeth and focused. He channeled his own pyroaffinity, his mind grabbing hold of the raging fire and pushing it back with raw force of will.

This only made her angrier. She burned brighter. The power within her was deeper than the ocean, but Elijah could see its tangled threads thrashing against reality. He twitched his fingers, tracing a single, devastating constellation once, twice, thrice. The Shears of Shakhara manifested in his mind's eye as a swarm of spectral scissors slashing the threads of Felicity’s magic. The last strand snapped with a shockwave of force that nearly knocked him over.

“It’s done,” he whispered, trying desperately to believe it.

Nuclear Rage

EXP: 64,948, Level: 10
    Level completed: 99%, EXP required for next Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%,
    EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    Groggy, vision flickering. She felt terribly, terribly off. This… was different. Sure, the memory fog was as prevalent as ever, but this feeling… like she was trapped. Energy was bursting inside. She looked around. She was on the floor in a pile of ash. The bodies of felled demons were crumpled alongside her. She winced, feeling the cuts across her frame. She moaned as she drew herself up, hands slapping against the floor. She looked up, seeing that Azza was fine and Elijah looked relieved. She looked over to Rehtul and opened her mouth.

“Did we-”

She gasped as a slimy coil wrapped around her frame. She looked back. All the demons, writhing as they were being drug into the portal, were glaring with light reflecting eyes. Her eyes widened as more abominable claws extended outwards.

“What the-”

She was yanked back, feeling more cuts inflicted upon her skin. With her powers bizarrely not responding, she hissed at the pain as she was pulled along the floor. Away from Rehtul. Away from everyone. Terror enveloped her as she realized what was happened. The cloth across her stomach was ripped off; her pants reduced to shorts. Her hair was snagged and yanked along piles of demon flesh as she desperately fought against the hordes of hands. Despite all her strength, it was of no use. Bound and unable to reach for any weapons, she felt a hand cover her mouth as she looked back at her companions with a final, terrified look.

Shinsou! Leoric! Rehtul! Nevin! Anybody! Help me!

The portal was closing, but the demons were insistent on dragging her down - no - back with them.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.

Loremaster

EXP: 74,034, Level: 11
    Level completed: 76%, EXP required for next Level: 2,966
    Level completed: 76%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,966

GP

Name
    Elijah Belov
    Elijah could only watch as the demon claws reached from beyond, clutching Felicity and dragging her into their hellish realm. Azza released her grip on the sword. A snap of energy surged through the chamber, and the shimmering inside the demon gate faded. The door was closed. A fire raged in Elijah’s chest, fists and teeth clenched.

Rehtul appeared beside him, the ice mage as calm as ever when he said, “We can’t leave her.”

“You think I don’t know that?” he snapped.

Azza stood up off the floor, dusting herself. She looked at him. “What are we going to do?”

Elijah sighed. She’s safe, at least. That will have to be enough. “Open the gate.”

“What?” said Azza and Rehtul in unison.

“Just a crack. We can’t abandon a comrade to those monsters, so I’m going after her.” He held out a hand, shaking Rehtul’s. “It’s been a pleasure working with a mage of your caliber.”

“Eli–Master Elijah, you can’t–”

He didn’t look at her yet, forcing himself to focus on Rehtul. “A word of warning: this gate didn’t open itself. Someone did it on our side.”

The ice mage nodded. “I understand.”

“Keep Azza safe for me.”

His student finally pushed herself between him and the gateway. “You still have more to teach me!”

“I know, I know.” He put both hands on her shoulders. “This needs to happen, but I promise, I will find you.”

She sniffed, smiling weakly. “‘When you wake up?’”

“That’s right.” He ruffled her hair, smiling back. “But not in twelve years, this time.”

With that, Azza closed her eyes and grasped the sword. She turned its handle a high-imperceptible fraction. The rightmost edge of the gate shimmered again, spewing the stench of old meat and cloves. Without a word, Elijah stepped forward into that shimmer, and departed the mortal realm.

Hell awaits.

Althanian

EXP: 1,484, Level: 1
    Level completed: 75%, EXP required for next Level: 516
    Level completed: 75%,
    EXP required for next Level: 516

GP

Name
    Preston Fletcher
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Judgment: Team Four

Hey hey! So I will be doing a condensed version of the rubric for the tournament. I will still be adding commentary to the sections, so you may see random comments as I notate and read through things. If you have questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me to discuss. I wish you all the best!

Plot
    (Story, Setting, Pace) 19

All: there was a huge lack of setting in the beginning. And it continued throughout really… Post 11 Azza mentioned traveling through dunes of ash and glass, but there was no context of what that meant or where anyone was.

Christoph: I really LOVE the mapping of the constellations and the names for them because it made it feel real (post 9).

I thought that your overall story was great. I think that there could have been more to justify Flame, as her opening didn’t really give me a clear indication of why she was joining. Otherwise, the plot was great. As the story continued I felt like Flame and Rhet were both side characters, which missed the mark for me. The pacing was great, the story was missing, and the setting was nonexistent.

Character
    (Communication, Action, Persona) 25

Overall: The communication was great, in a book way. It felt hard to differentiate between the characters, and you all wrote dialogue together which made it flow better, but also made it harder to actually judge.

Christoph: I’m putting out here that the opening dialogue between you and Azza in her first post is the most genuine and engaging I’ve read on the site ever. (Post 2).

Orphans: I love your character, from dialogue to subtle interactions. I felt like while I was reading I could picture Azza easily the whole time as a true character, not just a person talking. I actually laughed out loud at your interaction with Christoph in your first post. I LOVE Azza’s character and the internal dialogue and passive interactions… so good!
    Post 15 felt like too much dialogue and not enough character with her, like a filler and it took away from Azza

Rehtul: I love how you approached the opening to the story, it felt very character driven and true to the character as well. Your writing focuses a little too much on the dialogue between characters and there is a missing element of physical reactions and setting along with it at times. Otherwise, It’s on point for the character.

Firebird: I have to give you props for dialect based dialogue that was well written. Aside from that, you wrote pretty well. Post 17 felt like you were a side character, which is not against you as much as it is on the team not incorporating you into the story well.

Prose
    (Mechanics, Clarity, Technique) 25

All: I have nothing really overall to critique, so I will just observe individual thing

Christoph: Your opening writing style was very staccato and was hard to follow. While engaging, and interesting, it made it hard to figure out what was happening, and it ended up being a dream that, while a good opening, was confusing at first.
    “gate’s power buzzed like a beehive in his skull” - Such a great line!

Rehtul: Your posts are very heavy with dialogue, which without any prose or narrative leaves the reader just going back and forth between people talking.

Flamebird: Your pacing and writing style for the demon attack in Post 21 was phenomenal.

Wild Card

Every post after the 10th post doesn’t count, as it was after midnight on 12/29. So I will be giving you all exp and a reward for joining, but it depends on how the tournament goes if you will advance. This is due to 16/24 posts being past the deadline (only 8 happened before the midnight cutoff).

• Interact with at least one faction, either as an ally or enemy - or create your own and that faction must interact with the others somehow - Kinda
    • Overcome one “political” obstacle - Kinda
    • Due to the hurried nature of everyone scrambling to get to the new discovery, your characters are not fully stocked/prepared in some way - I saw mention of it, but it didn’t really impact the story that much

Score: 69

Christoph: 1740 exp | 200 gp
    Azza: 1410 exp | 200 gp
    Rhetul: 1325 exp | 200 gp
    Flamebird: 1655 exp | 200 gp

Althanian

EXP: 1,484, Level: 1
    Level completed: 75%, EXP required for next Level: 516
    Level completed: 75%,
    EXP required for next Level: 516

GP

Name