The group that I lead began to slowly integrate with the Legion; the former Legionnaires found themselves at home inside the camp, the volunteers shied away from the main group, but ate at the food offered near the camp fires. They didn’t have tents, but they were behind a wall, the group was protected better than they have for a very long time. I could actually relax, I was invited to a camp fire where beef was being roasted, and a bottle of wine, real wine made of grapes was being passed around.

General Cicero was was sitting at the fire, he was the one passing around bottles, in spite of his position as a general was the kind that was respected by his soldiers. He involved himself in their lives, he didn’t remain separated, he was one of them. Again I had to contrast this by General Caius, who stayed in his tent remaining attended by the few servants that he brought along with him, having remained separated from his soldiers. General Caius’ soldiers had no respect from his men, and they only followed him out of fear of punishment.

The next morning, after the camp was broke down, and before the Legion began its march General called the Legion to attention. “As you may know, we had guests arrive last night. They are our compatriots, most of them former Legionnaires from the first Legion to retake Fort Commodus. They have knowledge of the area, and experience fighting, the forces we will meet. I have decided to attach them, to the Legion as an auxilia, under the command of Centurion Lucas Victus step forward.”

Now that caught me off guard, I hadn’t thought myself as anything more than a soldier trying to accomplish a task. After some encouragement, I stepped to the front of the legion, where General Cicero was standing. Once arrived he said loud enough for all to hear “Under the authority given to me by the Emperor Atticus the Third I am promoting you to Centurion Auxilia. Your post will be a part of the second cohort, and your command will consist of the men you brought into the camp, and fifty more men I will assign to you.”

I was given a galea, that was crested front to back with red horsehair, which was tailed long enough to touch the top of my shoulder blades, this was notable as a typical legionnaires galea had no crest. I was also given a red tunic, red tunics in the Imperial Legion indicated leadership roles.

I was given time to change into the new uniform before the Legion marched toward Fort Commodus. When I stepped back in front of the Legion they cheered, and General Cicero indicated my full centura. Twenty six men I rescued from the mine, that after the trip from the mine, nightly training, and the skirmish with the P’Tah patrol had became loyal to me. The rest were men loyal to General Caius, and would follow my lead because they were told to. As I approached my horse Leif complimented “you look good in red” I thanked him and mounted up. Not long after General Cicero ordered the march
to begin.

As we marched back toward Fort Commodus the General made his rounds, keeping the Legion in order, and keeping tabs on his men through the various centurions. Slowing his horse near mine he asked “So, what are your thoughts?”

I raised my eyebrow and answered “currently, I am thinking that my entire second rank should be armed with hasta as soon as they can.”

The General canted his head and asked “for what purpose?”

I worked the horse to match The General’s pace and answered “First, it’s a nasty surprise for enemy cavalry. Second the hasta can bypass the first rank, and attack the enemy along with the first rank.”

General Cicero nodded “you being a Centurion Auxilia have some freedom on how you run your centuria. Your strategy is sound, though it may hamper your maneuverability in tighter spaces. I’m going to allow it, if it proves ineffective I’ll change it however.”

I nodded in understanding, and the General asked “what are your thoughts about General Caius? You’ve had time to think about his actions.”

I wiped sweat from below my galea, I had forgotten how hot those things could get, and looked at the General “speaking honestly General Sir, he was an idiot, and a coward. He ordered a forced march every day guaranteeing our exhaustion when we were ambushed. When the ambush did happen, he froze, and the tribunes, and centurions had to take command losing any cohesion as a large unit. Finally when our lines broke, General Caius was the first to run, he didn’t call a retreat he ran away from the battle, sword, and shield dropped in the sand. The P’Tah cavalry caught up to him in short order, and killed him outright, he left the tribunes, and centurions to be crucified.”

General Cicero’s face paled, and said “That is very unfortunate, I’m not sure if you know this but General Caius was the Emperor’s son, and after the first legion was declared lost he ordered the formation of the second legion.”

I nodded but asked “did he know that his son was killed?”

The General shook his head “I do not know, but I believe he suspected.”

I simply replied “The Emperor has resources every where, I would not doubt that he knows about his son already.”

General Cicero nodded in agreement “I agree. I have to check up on the other cohorts but is there anything else your centuria may need?”

I shook my head to the negative, and he galloped his horse off to the next tribune.

The Legion marched on, the places were familiar from the first time a legion I was in passed them. I also knew the area by maps I studied, and talks I had with merchants during my time as a slave to Abasi. The sun rose to its apex, and the legion was showing signs of heat stress. I loped my horse to the General and said “General sir, may I suggest marching the Legion to a cave spring, it’s about four miles off of the caravan road, known by fugitives, thieves, and bandits.”

The General nodded “how certain are you of this spring?”

“Quite certain” I replied, I was confident in the information I had, but never had been there myself.

The General smiled and said “You and your men lead the way then.”

Within an hour, and a half I had lead the legion to a rock formation where a spring ran, and pulled in a rocky basin. It was dotted with a hearty scrub, a few date palms, and a small grove of fig trees. The General patted me on my back, my lorica making a soft clank as he did “Well done Centurion.” I was impressed by his ability to compartmentalize, he was friend, and battle brother to his men at night, around a campfire, or in a tavern, but when the Legion was on the march, in battle, training, or in any formal occasion he made sure to keep the comradery in check.

The Legion drank their fill, splashed cool water on their heads, they ate the dates, and figs though they were passed season. The General had us rest for an hour, refilling our water skins, casks, and barrels of water. Once we were cooled off, and rested we returned to our march toward Fort Commodus.

Marching a legion isn’t like traveling on your own, or even a large group. It takes time to get one moving, get one to stop, orders take time. A legion can stretch for nearly a mile if not properly managed, and then there were nearly a hundred men immune to combat, the stable masters, cooks, and medics. What may take a few hours for a single person to accomplish, it could take a legion a day, marching a great distance was the exception. It was the reason why the going was slow for the legion, at the rate we were marching, it was going to take two weeks to reach the fort we were supposed to retake.