Threaded View

GP

Name
    Zeph Sorensson
    Race
    Human

The Heart of a Faun, the Heart of a Forest [OPEN]

<OOC> Anyone is welcome to join and contribute! Here's the call to action: Random faun wanders into Stonevale, explains that the Brokenthorn forest is overrun by earth elementals. The heroes travel to the Brokenthorn to investigate and try to put a stop to the madness. Bunny any NPC's you want (and even me) if you need to keep the story going! -Z </OOC>

"HOOOO, THAT WEE GNOME GOT YA AGAIN!", Dellen cried as fat tears of laughter rolled down his cheeks and soaked into his beard.

Zeph looked mournfully at a mound of foam floating around the bottom of his mug. "Oh, come off it Dellen, you've had your laughs. Now give it back." He held out his hand for the brown leather book that the squat dwarf was holding.

"Aye, I'll give it back, but only under one condition", said Dellen, "You've got to explain to Kalli and the boys exactly what you've done this time!" This sent the dwarf into another round of hysterics as he knocked his mug against the wooden bar countertop. "KALLI!
    CUMMERE AND LISTEN TO WHAT THIS PEBBLE BRAIN DONE THIS TIME!"

The bartender, hearing her name from across the room, set down the cup she was polishing and gave Zeph an apologetic look. "Alright Z, I think we both know he ain't gon stop until you're out with it, so might well get it done and over. Plus, I've had it in my head
    to ask what gots ya bringin
    a book into the bar, you've never needed one to help you drink before."

"Fine. Fine, I'll explain, but only after you make that criminal give me MY LEGALLY PURCHASED GOODS back." Kalli gave a nod to Dellen and grabbed the dwarf's mug for a refill. He grudgingly slid the tome down the bar to Zeph, who snatched it up before the little man could pull it away again.

"So you remember how I told you all about this book on Earth Magik?" The two listeners gave Zeph a nod. "And how some people claim they can sense the spirit of others from miles away, over mountains and through walls?" More nods. "Well, I found it... or at least a part of it." The nods were replaced with blank stares. "I'm serious! Look!"

Zeph opened the book up to the last remaining page. It used to contain much more, but sheets had been ripped out long ago. The final writing was in black handwriting on an otherwise blank page. It simply said:

Beyond the darkness lies a kingdom shrouded in greenish light. This is Sparta Majoris,
    sparkliest nation of Madness. Here waits Kloraag; the keeper doombringer. He ejaculated many bees which founded bee-rocracy.

Dellen chewed on a corner of his
    mustache to keep from laughing out loud, but his stool still rocked so hard his beer sloshed over the top of the mug.

"Oh, that's... not what I expected", said Kalli in a confused tone of voice.

"Well," Zeph murmured, "I mean, I found the cover of the book." He pointed to ancient runes and symbols that decorated the leather inside of the book's cover. "Someone took the original text out and rebound some other nonsense in the old cover. And then apparently some kind of cult member got ahold of it" he said, re-reading the last passage skeptically.

"I'm certain you'll find the rest
    of the book eventually" Kalli said to him encouragingly. Zeph simply began banging his head against the countertop.

"I just still can't believe ya bought it without opening it up!
    You shouldn't never judge a book by its cover, that's what my gran said. So I just don't ever touch the things, I don't have to worry bout it that way!" Dellen took another swig of beer.

Zeph was starting to make a decently forehead-shaped indent in the wood when a commotion sprung up from outside the door. Kalli stood up on a stool behind the counter to try to see out the window. "We'll take a
    look for ya Kalli" Dellen said with a wink, and he grabbed Zeph by the elbow and pulled him off his stool.

--- --- ---

Outside, a group of drunks low on booze and high on free time was prodding a mangy Faun down the cobbles. Dellen leaned against the oak beam that held up the sign for The Pickled Miner, and Zeph stood behind him. "Ain't our business getting involved I suppose" he muttered, "
    for all
    we know he knocked over their beer or summat like".

"I still don't see why that's a good reason to parade someone through the streets" Zeph responded. "Although I suppose there's a dozen of them and two of us, so not necessarily odds I'd like to get into if I can help it".

They stood by and watched as the crowd jeered and tossed mud onto the drunken creature, but eventually, the gathered mass stumbled on in search of higher spirits. The faun propped himself up on one elbow, and tried to stand; it was a good effort, but gravity won out against his intoxication and he plopped back down into the mud.

"Danger's passed", said Zeph, "I suppose we oughta bring him in and see if Kalli's willing to warm him up". Zeph and Dellen stepped off the porch, down the steps, and into the street towards the pitiful creature.
    Last edited by ZephSorensson; 10-20-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: A sentence to explain why Zeph opened the book to the final page