GP

Name
    Ashla Rose Icebreaker
    Race
    Human/Elf Hybrid

View Profile

Hyperfocus issues in writing

Ello,

I've had this issue ever since I first started writing ever and still do. For those of you who haven't guessed or something, I have the inattentive variant of ADHD. Whenever I write, I have to be "hyperfocused." While having to concentrate to get any writing done with zero outside distractions or stimuli is relatable to just about everyone, there's several other odd things I've noticed in my writing that others have also pointed out.

1.) I only write one major "thing" at a time. I either only find myself strictly focusing on dialogue, characters' inner thoughts, or setting. A complaint I saw several people point out in the workshop for The Mountain and the Trial was that I focused too much on setting for the first half, then all but completely ditched setting during the emotional character development parts of the thread. I've tried forcing myself to juggle writing multiple things at once, but I always feel like I fail. It's so frustrating that I'll completely abandon entire threads and stories because the zero balance seems so horrible!
    2.) Run on sentences and sentence fragments are common. I remember a judge distinctively saying that my sentences seem to shift entirely, and that I'll start the sentence one way and end it completely differently. Numerous others have pointed out in almost every thread I complete to look out for run on's and fragments. I don't know if it's my lack of concentration and rapidly jumping around train of thought doing this or what; but it could very well be...

Telling me that I just can't be a good writer because of the ADHD is just stereotypical nonsense in my opinion. Apparently aspies lack imagination too, but my imagination is on steroids! Writing is one of the few passions of mine and I'm not giving it up! When I don't feel pressured, which in all honesty I kinda always do on this site, I enjoy writing very much. It's about time I tried tackling the issues brought up above, but none of the writing tip sites or videos ever seem to help me, so... Help?
    Last edited by Ashla; 10-18-2017 at 02:23 PM.

"I did what I had to do! Nobody was taking care of these murderers, slavers, robbers! The Rangers weren’t! The Bladesingers weren’t! Somebody had to do something! So I did. And I will extract justice onto every criminal in the world until there is only the good guys. I tried using mercy and compassion. Those don’t work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I will take every measure necessary to save the world.” ~ Ashla Icebreaker.