Level completed: 1%, EXP required for next Level: 3,971
    Level completed: 1%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,971

GP

Name
    Ezoreth "Ezra" Vrall
    Race
    Homunculi
    Ezra watched Nevin move away once more with a calm gaze. It was nice that he offered a position to work in his shop. Despite not being a true apprenticeship, it would be enough to start working and getting a small education on alchemic basics and learning social cues for down the road. On the mental track of social cues, however, the Homunculi could not understand why the alchemist was so wary to be close to them. He couldn't examine the runes very well from a distance, right? So why was he so wary to be close?

"Sir Nevin, your explanation on the runes in my eyes does make a bit of sense. But I must ask yet another question: why are you so afraid of me? Is it my appearance? Because I assure you that I will not harm you. I cannot say who between the two of us is physically stronger, but I have no intention of getting into such an altercation. I am simply here for academic purposes relating to my body and the arcane runes inscribed upon it." They continued staring at the man, head tilted slightly to the side in confusion. "Or are you perhaps dissuaded by the fragrance I put on? I was told it was pleasant smelling for men so I thought it might perhaps help sway you to assisting me in my line of questioning. Or, is there something else..."

"Please, Miss Ezra, keep your distance it is not proper!"

They continued standing there, blank faced and seeming as if they had short circuited. Suddenly, their eyes seem to sparkle with realization as they started to move towards Nevin, then suddenly shifted and began pacing as they spoke rapidly. "Oh, I understand now! Certain human societal rules dictate a specific sort of boundary regarding those of the opposite sex who are not in a romantic relationship. Due to our late night rendezvous and your reaction, there must have been a violation I had inadvertently committed. Although that doesn't explain your flustered face and slightly off breathing pattern. Hmmm..." They eventually stopped in front of the counter, leaning against the wood while still in thought with arm wrapped around their chest.

"Well, I am currently covering my chest so you are not seeing any sort of "inappropriate" view according to your soci-" Ezra paused, quickly whipping their head towards Nevin with an unholy speed. Their hair flew in front of their face, covering part of their face. They continued their ramble as they wiped their hair away. "Oh! I understand! Your erratic breathing, the avoidance of being near me, the flustering of your cheeks... You have developed a physical attraction to my appearance and you are embarrassed by your lack of control of your primal nature. But it is quite alright, I assure you. I only wish to learn, not... what is the phrase, 'take a bite out of you?' Is that it? Your odd linguistic phrases are rather vexing at times."

They gave Nevin a small smile in reassurance. "If it will make you feel more at ease, you may ask any questions about my appearance or background. If you would rather view my body to comprehend my inquiries, I understand. It is not exactly an easy topic, but I believe our relationship will work best if there is trust going both ways."

EXP: 61,139, Level: 10
    Level completed: 65%, EXP required for next Level: 3,861
    Level completed: 65%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,861

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin stared at the individual in front of him in sheer, stunned silence for a solid minute. Then the alchemical text dropped from his slack grasp as his brain worked furiously to process the diatribe the thing in front of him had just gone on. He thought of her - it - as a thing for the moment because now, he didn't know just what in the name of Crimson he was even looking at any more.

Several things that had been bothering him now made sense. A weird, unbelievable sense. The reason Ezra seemed too 'perfect', their features too well placed, none of the tiny flaws that normally existed on a person? Was because they were designed to look just that way. It was like a doll - too much effort went into perfecting the appearance, and it went beyond realistic in its attempts. The reason he had thought their facial features didn't quite match up with the emotions they seemed to express through their words - well, the entity in front of him had said it itself, linguistic phrases could be complicated if you didn't grow up with them.

The blood that had been creeping up his neck and into his cheeks had been washed away in that icy realization. Moreover, the Alchemist also had put together that the being in front of him didn't understand itself fully - why else would it have suddenly approached him about the symbols in its flesh? It sought to learn about itself, and apparently Alchemy had gone into its construction - did that make this strange being, at least a partial Homunculus?

Nevin picked up the text from the floor and set it down on the counter, adjusting the collar of his shirt as he turned to address the 'woman'. "It was not my 'primal urges' as you so crudely put it. Allow me to clarify - in human culture, men and women who scarcely know each other - as we do - will not strip down in another's presence, unless one is a medical professional and the other their patient. Now, while you came to me as a patient seeking aid on an alchemical issue, this would normally fall under such a category, it is late and I am tired, and so my mental equilibrium is already off balance, so when you immediately began stripping before I could register what was happening, I was thrown further out of sorts. Now then." He adjusted his collar again, and picked up his notebook.

"I think I have already deduced, in part, your existence, but to be certain - you are some form of Homunculus? One that is more advanced than the norm by far, as normal Homunculii are not as intelligent nor as independent as you."

EXP: 5,029, Level: 3

GP

Name
    Ezoreth "Ezra" Vrall
    Race
    Homunculi
    Ezra looked at Nevin for a long moment, letting the silence fill the air. He had guessed correctly, somewhat. Ezra was a Homunculus, true, but was so much more than a base doll. Ezoreth would not have gone through so much effort, so many spells and so much time for a half-handed attempt at evading death. However, new questions arose. Why did the mage make Ezra's appearance so 'perfect' if he just wished to prolong his life and keep doing research? They let out a sigh, turning their back and sliding their arms back into the sleeves. There would be time for physical examinations later; answering Nevin's questions would likely take priority and keeping their arm up to cover their chest was beginning to hurt.

"You are correct, in a way, Sir Nevin." They finally began, making their way back to the counter and hopping on top of it. They calmly took a seat and crossed one leg carefully over the other as they continued to stare at the alchemist. "I am not, in fact, a human. I was not born into the world so much as shaped and had the breath of life put into me by my creator, Ezoreth Vrall. I do admit I know very little of the man, but from what I understand, I came into being in order to continue his life's work. I am in current possession of his tome but I have yet to unlock its secrets. And, as a follow up to your other assessment..." They paused, now beginning to run their hands through their hair. It was nice having longer hair but it had grown too long for comfort. "I suppose I am 'superior' in regards to your standard Homunculi as I can do so much more. I learn, adapt, and even have genuine feelings. Here in Stonevale, I have apparently taken the guise of a female traveler, so I would expect you to keep that up when we associate with the other villagers."

Their foot began tapping against the wood of the counter in a rhythmic pattern for a few moments before they looked around the shop. "If your offer is still open for me to work here and learn, I would gladly take the offer. Having something to learn that doesn't involve my supposed femininity would be much more beneficial for me in the future. In addition, it would allow me to learn more about social cues and 'fit in' with the others. In return, I offer you my magical expertise and will answer any questions you have about my origin that I can answer."

They paused. "And my body, if you so desire."

Another long pause. "That was a joke."

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    Nevin had, at this point, lost any trace of the blush he had been sporting because of the apparent advances of the woman. Now though he knew she was similar in some regards to a Homunculus - one of the highest achievements an Alchemist could ever achieve - so he knew that unless specifically designed to include them, Ezra likely didn't actually have gender traits. 'Her' modesty was entirely an affectation, likely ground into her by whoever she was staying with.

Which made sense as the artificial being was currently masquerading as a woman. Whether it was on purpose or on accident, the fact that she was living with someone who could help her learn how a woman should act was a clear boon. Yes, learning how to behave would only help deepen the illusion. And he had his own secrets that he was keeping from the people of Stonevale, he had no problem in helping the alchemical wonder hide theirs.

"Very well. Yes, I shall help you,
    and shall keep up the masque you have crafted here. In that regards - your current caretaker, or someone you trust to some extent, will need to come in for at least a few days as you work at the store, to serve as a chaperone. This is a custom in some human cultures, to prevent scandals from arising when a young opposite gender couple are alone together"
    The alchemist flipped to a blank page and began jotting down notes as he spoke.

"We will start with you working to stock the shelves of products. I will give you a description of the various items, so that if anyone asks you about them you can give a proper response. This will set you up to observe and have limited controlled interaction with the customers that come in-if they ask for anything to hat is not covered in those descriptions or that you do not know yourself, direct them to me. Then once you've gotten familiarity with the customers and with social interactions in a shop environment, I'll have you start working sales like I do, though I will maintain a presence in case you encounter situations you don't comprehend yet. Everything clear on that end?" Nevin tore the page from his book and set it on the counter next to Ezra's leg. It was the essentially a summary of what he'd said her responsibilities would be minus references to her learning how people interact.

At her joke, the Alchemist snorted and shook his head. "You generally don't want to say when you're joking, it reduces the amusement most listeners garner. And studying these runes will be a task and reward in and if themselves - while I could understand two on your body and one in your eyes, there were definitely others that were alchemical in nature that I don't know yet. Whoever gave you life poured their life's work into you, and was clearly a master of their arcane arts."

EXP: 5,029, Level: 3

GP

Name
    Ezoreth "Ezra" Vrall
    Race
    Homunculi
    "No, my 'caretaker', as you have so dubbed her, will not be joining us here. Under any circumstances. It will be fine, I will deny any rumors of a romantic relationship if the need arises. I doubt that anyone has noticed my arrival here, regardless."

Ezra's eyes widened slightly, and their gaze was fully locked onto Nevin as if daring him to argue. The only people they had associated with remotely had been the storyteller known as Sketch, Elthas, the mercenary(?) elf, Nevin, and then Nan. Having old Nan here would not help any of the rumors about Nevin's apparent deviancy and would not help at all to keep a professional relationship. The Homunculi already had enough problems as it was, and Nan would only add onto it even further.

At the mention of what the 'apprenticeship' would entail, their attention suddenly perked up and they shifted on the counter to face the alchemist a little more properly. While they shifted how they were seated, they made sure that the robe stayed proper. After all, they had to follow the societal norms of the town. Once Nevin set the paper down, they immediately picked it up and began reading. Quickly realizing that it was just a list of expected job duties, Ezra visibly relaxed and set the note back down. It didn't seem like some sort of magic trap that one would use to ensnare the Homunculi, but after hearing rumors of mage hunters, they were not exactly looking forward to meeting one in battle any time soon.

Nevin mentioned the nuances behind joking, which they immediately made a mental note of.

"Ah, I understand then. I will refrain from mentioning that I am joking from now on." They paused, seeming to lose themselves in thought for a moment. "Sir Nevin, I will say that your curiosity with me is quite reasonable, and I look forward to hearing what you uncover with your research. You may have my body whenever you wish... Although I would prefer not to have an audience to gawk. It is... distracting." They grinned, sliding off the counter and holding out a slender hand towards the man.

"To a working partnership."

GP

Name
    Nevin Aimaparapoiitis
    Race
    Human (Godling)
    "Miss Ezra. We live in a small town.
    Someone sees everything. I'll accede to your wishes about not having a chaperone, just be aware that it will become a point of commentary amongst people."
    He didn't know why the Homunculus was so firmly adamant about the her caretaker not joining them, but that was her decision, not his own. He'd already been weathering rumors ceaselessly about himself, so one more wouldn't bother him.

He watched as she snatched up the paper and read through it, slightly off tension pouring out of her. He was learning how to interpret the constructed human's facial features, their expressions, and he didn't really understand why she had seemed almost fearful, and then relaxed after reading it. He raised a red eyebrow at her as she spoke, and shook his head with an exasperated quirk to his lips.

"I will endeavor to set it up so that any further examinations are carried out in private situations, Miss Ezra. I suppose I should say that only I shall see your body." He took the artificial being's hand and shook it firmly.

"To the start of a partnership indeed."

~Fin~

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    Thread Title: A Potion Made for Two
    Participants: ArcanaFate, Nevin
    Judgment Type: No Judgment

ArcanaFate gains 1037 EXP and 88 GP
    Nevin gains 1232 EXP and 88 GP

Rewards are inclusive of Stonevales 1.5x EXP modifier.

Congratulations!

upon the cheek of night

EXP: 224,444, Level: 20
    Level completed: 0%, EXP required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%,
    EXP required for next Level: 0

GP

Name
    Joshua Breaker Cronen
    Race
    Demigod
    All rewards added.