“Lady Stare?”

Lady? That was a new one.

Looking up she saw an unrecognised, unknown guard. He had a hand wrapped around the hilt of a thin rapier that was at his side.

He gave her a small bow. “Pride said that you requested to have her for tea.”

Stars paused a moment. Her beak opened slightly in surprise and she leaned slightly around the man. But he was alone. Behind him was a door just closing, and the pale gold of the wall. She was sure she hadn't asked Pride for tea, but rather Vitruvion had said he would send for her, in the evening. It struck her to consider that it was late in the day, for she had slept since the council meeting, and been in the Hollow she she had awoken from being killed by her brother. It had been the longest she had spent here since leaving and it made her remember the lifestyle of living without ever seeing the sun. Days and nights were ill defined, merely determined by those authorities above.

Somehow clearly Pride had managed to get some time away from Tinash. And she had used the opportunity to come propose a meeting to her, rather than the other way around. But to deny that Pride had been invited would open her up to more questions, possible danger too, and Stare already knew the woman was desperate for help. Truly, so.

There was really no choice.

“Yes, of course,” Stare looked up to the man. “Of course. I am glad she managed to find the time.”

Pride has come of her own accord, she spoke fast and furious into her mind.

There was a short pause, coupled with a sigh. He was currently in the Guard House, organising the structure of command with Raevin in Corone, and still not providing any news in relation to the incoming attack on Vitruvion's brewery.

I told her I would send for her, he growled.

Clearly she had some time of her own. Stare paused, as she saw the guard nod, accept her words and turn to head out. You like opportunists, I thought?

Vitruvion grunted. She caught sight of Zulon talking to some other men, and smiled slightly. The young human certainly was a good choice for progression to temporary head.

I will be there soon.

The door opened and the same guard headed into the small living room. He bowed again to Stare as he stepped back, revealing the slight figure of Pride, holding herself bold. Stare felt some satisfaction that the woman had managed to gain back her control over her feelings, clearly, after her and Vitruvion had left.

Stare pulled herself to her feet, unfolding from the armchair where she had been doing nothing but reading an old romance. As Pride came forwards she caught her eye before saying formally.

“So glad you could join me, Pride.”

Pride nodded a little, keeping the eye contact. “Thank you for inviting me, Lady Stare.”

Lady again. It wasn't so bad.