He was known as 'Tongueless Tinash’ and she as 'Pride’ and as far as Stare had been told she had been talking for him for coming on five years.

Yet from her outburst Stare could tell that there was a lot more of Pride than Tinash in the question. A lot more of ‘friend’ than 'that other brother's guest’.

“I am sorry to bring you such sad news, but yes,” Stare said, looking right at her and addressing her. “And for that reason, and another, Hugin has been banished from these halls … and the city.”

There was a hushed cry that ran through the room. And it was many more female voices than male, Stare could tell. She looked down at her tense hands, noticing the way her hardened knuckles were paler than normal and the ridges in her skin where she dug into her flesh with those sharp claws. Truly she felt the pity of the women who had lost a dear friend, for the community of the Hollow was two fold, especially between the ‘guests’ of the same brother. Her and Blaze had shared something strong, clearly Reign was the sort who liked to be friends with all. She had once come to Stare, but Stare had pretty much dismissed her in their one meeting.

“From the city? Why is he also banished from the city?”

Stare paused, looking at a brother called Frendir who now spoke. A smiling, happy kind of man who sat by himself today.

She knew she needed to choose her words carefully. “I am sure many of you are aware of the food shortage this city recently experienced,” she said slowly. There were nods all around, even from the girls. Apparently it had even stretched to the kitchens here. Stare breathed in. “Sir Elssmith discovered that Hugin had a large warehouse of food and requested he share it with the hungriest of the city, those whose lives were ruined by the slaughtering of the fowl and cows. Hugin … refused.”

And actually set it aflame.

She blinked, What?

Indeed, his tone was foul, full of dislike. I am on my return now. And keep going, you are doing well.

That at least was good news. Soon she could stop this game and he could take over, which was his job after all.

“Hugin sent the warehouse alight. Estimates say that the food could have fed the entire city for three weeks, and included private livestock. They were killed, the food ruined.”

A stunned silence fell in the room. It was broken a minute later by a muttering from Tethion. “Bastard. We all knew he was, I say good riddance to him.”

Despite the generally negative aspects of demons, especially when it came to her power and that of Vitruvion, Stare found herself in danger of liking Tethion. His mannerisms and even smiles reminded her so much of Nosdyn, the demon who had helped her before, and who was still bound in contract technically to her, that she began to miss the blue-skinned killer. A soft sigh threatened to escape from her beak.

“I … would quite agree lord Tethion,” she dared to reply.

The demon's lips twisted up into a smile.