I tilted my head and looked down at her, and raised an eyebrow. A slow, languid blink, and I shrugged my shoulder making her head rise and fall. “Does that not just make us the more terrifying? Here we are, sitting by a pile of corpses of our foes, our stomachs filled with their flesh, and we have such little concern for them that we know we have the safety to discuss important matters.” I let go of her hand and coiled my arm around her shoulders.

“Besides, sweetheart, there is no shame in having emotions, or sharing them. Especially not with one who cares for you. Emotions have driven men to challenge the gods - knowing and accepting them is a source of strength, not one of weakness.” I kissed the top of her head, and rested my chin there for a moment.

“And discussing our emotions, our feelings. That just makes sure we are both on the same page as to where our - relationship, will be going. I for one, cherish time with you, and greatly hope that this will not be a - what was the term I heard someone use in town…” I frowned and drummed the fingers of my empty hand against my legs for a moment. “I do not want this to be a ‘one nightstand’ though I'm not sure what furniture has to do with romantic entanglements.” It didn't make sense to me, but the men I had heard talking had clearly been using it to refer to spending only a short time with a woman. Bizarre phrasing. “And I hope you don't either.”

Her laughter sounded like a small innocent child as she shook her head, and it puzzled me for a moment. “It’s just an expression that people use, but I feel the same. I want to see where this is going to go.” She brought our entwined hands close to her lips as she kissed each of my knuckles.

It was strange though, how much I enjoyed spending time with her. I thought I had seen everything, and that this world just had what I was used to, maybe dressed up in new outfits but still the same drudgery and creatures that I knew of old. That belief had been shoved to the side by the woman beside me, my tired, worn Soul revitalized by new and someone who actually cared . I couldn't remember the last time either had happened, and for them to be one and the same - well. I don’t think I would ever get enough of being near her, she sparked my curiosity in the world again, and I wanted to see what it was like with her by my side.

“Huh. Well, I am well aware expressions can be odd. Not sure why they chose furniture still, but alright.” I chuckled and shook my head. “And it seems we’re in agreement then. I certainly don't want this to end any time soon. You're stuck with me a while longer it seems, Camille.” Her name felt like sweet honey on my lips, and I couldn't stop the smile that tweaked my mouth. I shifted, and pulled her into my lap, one arm coiled around her stomach and the other holding her hand.

“Not that either of us really considers that much of an imposition.” She felt warm and alive in my hold, and damn good. Something like this would never have happened if I had stayed in my old world - there the only warmth I ever experienced was from the Flame itself. The comfort of another person had been denied me for so long, it was almost miraculous to me how right it felt to hold her. She laughed and squirmed on my lap, adjusting herself a bit as we faced the dying fire.

For a moment the two of us were quiet, content to just enjoy each other’s presence. I'd spend countless years alone with only my precious mount as a companion, so sitting here and holding her was almost novel. I savored it, before tilting my head to murmur in her ear.

“What was it you said earlier? A penny for your thoughts? What's on your mind dear?”