This thread occurs during Dead Man Walking
The Innkeep gave me a somewhat dirty look as I tromped in the door. I couldn't really blame her - I'd come here straight from meeting Scarlet, so the blood of her lackies still stained my clothes. Not that I cared - it will either fade in time, or Camille will have me wash it. Personally I didn't care, I was still getting used to this world where blood didn't literally disappear after a short time. I just grunted at the woman when she gave me an angry look, and she quailed and hid from me as I strode up the stairs.

I tested the handle to our - Camille’s room. I had half-hoped my lover had already returned, I wanted to talk with her a bit. But - no the door was locked, so she wasn't in. I unattached it with the copy of the key she had given me, and moved inside. I set my gear and pack down inside the room, against one of the walls, and then stripped off my robe and chain mail. While I didn't particularly care about my armor’s state, I had gotten quite used to bathing myself. Even if I didn't usually want to wait for the poor girls to heat up the water and just bathed cold.

My armor was dropped on top of my gear, and I dropped my pants onto the bed. Thankfully they hadn't gotten bloody, so Camille wouldn't be bothered about blood stains on the linens by the inn staff. Now naked, I trudged into the bathing room - huh. I guess they'd gotten tired of being terrified by Camille or myself and set up some kind of alert. That tiny, black haired girl was finishing heating the bath when I came in - she let out a mortified squeak when she saw me, and sprinted out of the room, her face a brilliant red. I blinked in the direction she had run, confused.

“What in the Abyss was that?” I sighed and shook my head, and climbed into the warming bath. Speaking of the Abyss had reminded me of the bizarre woman I would now be working with from time to time. She was probably getting irritated waiting on my return, but after she had tried to throw Camille’s past in my face, I wasn't particularly concerned. I would help the Abyss tainted woman at my own pace - I'd told her I would leave a message for my lover, and I wasn't going to just leave a two word message for that.

No. As I started scrubbing with one of the rough sponge things, I was thinking about how the Abyss I would leave a message for Camille about this. I didn't want her to think I was just abandoning her - that was far from the case. I might not have taken the job if I was alone. I didn't have many necessities in life, or unlife as the case may be. But I knew that Camille didn't want to just keep using this inn as a base to return to. And while I hadn't responded to ‘Scarlet’s offer to have Camille join me at the keep - I could probably use this an opportunity to start accumulating some wealth in this world.

And hunting down some of these Thaynes sounded like an absolutely wonderful past time. Despite my own - despite my past and the fact that I was now in a new world, I detested gods that interfered too much in mortal affairs. So the chance to help take down a religion? I didn't want to pass that chance up. And I was sure that the divine, or semi-divine, Souls would be fantastic. Powerful and ripe for the taking.

I finished scrubbing and rinsing the blood from my body - and winced, as I realized that the scar from my most recent death was still fresh and raw - and looked like it was bleeding slightly. That was just a trick of the light, thankfully, but - yes, that looked like it was oozing. I was actually glad that Camille wasn't here, I think. She would have been concerned about the scar, and I did not want her to worry about me. Worse, I couldn't even tell if there was a matching mark on my back or not, it was right on my left shoulder blade behind where my heart was. Damn it, stupid fucking assassin with his damn silent feet.

At least he was dead for it. I let out a snort as I loosely toweled off - enough so I wasn't dripping as I moved. I dropped the towel into one of the bins for laundry the staff provided, then moved back into the main room. I headed over to the low desk, where there was some stationary. I'd have to use several of the small pages to leave an appropriate message for Camille. But now I had the problem of:

Just what would I write to her? Damn. I chewed on the end of the pen as I tried to think.