It was around an hour after this that the sound of keys began to scrape in the lock. They were more hesitant than before. They moved as if considering themselves if they would allow entrance into this darker, slightly misty room, before the main door opened and through it came - not the faun. But rather, Gosling entered, carrying a plate of good quality food and two more skins.

The Huntsman looked up, and the rat in his lap froze, staring at her. He tilted his head to one side. At some point he had removed his hat, and it was now sitting on the edge of the cot, with his glasses resting on top of it. The man’s fingers were gently stroking the rat, which looked like it wanted to bolt under the cot and hide.

Gosling ducked her head slightly as she walked forwards to unlock the cell door before sliding it open. Then, after setting the keys up, she came forwards, eyes right on him. In the doorway she paused before mumbling.

“The Matriarch would be down herself but she is dealing with … well. A very major occurrence. She said you eat anything?” The man slowly nodded, watching her. His head cocked to the other side, examining her, those silver eyes sharp and intent.

“Right,” she flustered slightly, pushing her spectacles further up her nose before she held out the plate. She was still wearing the semi-formal dress of the previous evening. “And I have wine too. Unless you prefer beer?”

Still unnervingly silent he shrugged. Two fingers lifted up and wiggled at her, and for a moment she thought she saw a quirk of a smirk on one edge of his mouth, but then it was gone, leaving his face blank and impassive, except for that intense stare. Her brow furrowed as she watched his gesture before she huffed and leaned to set the plate down. Her eyes glanced to the other plate, but could not see it right away, but she just shook her head with confusion. A poor quality metal round thing would not be too much use for an escape attempt. Dumping down the two skins she let out a sigh. Her eyes flickered back to him when she realised his eyes were looking at her …

Quickly, she straightened, a frustration coming into her movements. Her hands smoothed over her dress as she stared at him incredulous.

“Don't - don't do that. What, so you now are interested now we are here? You some sort of beast folk now, with 'cycles’ of when you are or are not interested?!”

He let out a slow, low chuckle, and shook his head gently, once. “I never once said I was not interested before, good lady. I merely do not outright seek sex for pleasure. That does not mean I do not appreciate a fine view.”

The sudden speaking flustered Gosling, catching her off guard. “Well - well,” she said, “Don't let my lady find you doing that. People will pay fine high prices for that, you know. More than you could probably afford.” Then she blinked a few times before flapping her hands. “How - so you don't respond then like other men? Why? They are so easy to beguile, you saw, with the techniques I have learnt.”

“Indeed. However, that is because for them, sex is an imperative. They crave it, crave intimacy. I, do not. Sex is a tool for me, a distraction. A pleasant one, at times, but a distraction. I will oblige my body’s desires, but I will not go out of my way to seek out that satiation.” Cool, calm, mildly pleasant - like he was talking about the weather, not sex. Still those intensely staring eyes remained locked on hers.

“Well for most of the women on this ship it was, or still is, at least a part time occupation, so kindly bare that in mind when looking at us.” Haughtily she folded her arms. “Distraction indeed. If the Matriarch wanted she could have you begging for her.”

“Indeed? I doubt it, and I doubt she will ever want to try.” Another soft chuckle. “I do rather think she - ah, not my place to say. I thank you, good lady.”

“Right, it is not your place to say,” she nodded once. Then she paused before stepping back and hauling the bars back across. “I'll go get that damn beer, you ... reptile.”

And there was a scrabbling of keys as she locked the door before sauntering out.