Currently he was on a sofa in the living room that was the private room that connected to his, what was still being converted into Celandine's, Philomel and Gosling's bedrooms. Beside him sat the silent and timid form of Tarrimar the elf, who had his hands on his knees and was biting his lip. Vaeron did not move, his own eyes baring forwards into the fire, waiting for the other man to reply. The only other man who lived in the fortress of the Gilded Lily, and whom was now considering the offer just given to him.

Tarrimar finally let out a small noise like a sigh and looked over to Vaeron. Immediately the mage's eyes snapped up, gazing right at the elf. For a moment Tarrimar was lost in the ocean blue depths before he swallowed and spoke.

“Wou-would it be … long term?”

Vaeron nodded once, formally. “If you wanted, yes. That is what I want.”

Tarrimar blinked a few times, looking down shyly as he pushed a hand through his hair. “I-I see.” He went silent for a moment longer and this time Vaeron kept his eyes on him.

“And yo-you are sure that it is me you want to ask? There are not any others?”

“Tarrimar, I have had never had a feeling in my chest as strong as this one,” the unsmiling man said. “I am very sure. Obviously you will live far longer than me but if you are wanting this then we can make the most of the time.”

The elf nibbled on the corner of his mouth. He let out a thinking huff as his eyes bore contemplating holes in the floor before him. He let out a few “hmms” and “erms”. He blinked, considered, then looked back up to Vaeron.

He nodded.

“I accept, Rameses Vaeron. I will be yours.”

For a moment the two men just stared into each others eyes. Vaeron smiled in his, and a small twitch at his immensely scarred cheek spoke of the attempt he was making to smile. For Tarrimar, however, it was the eyes that mattered and the elf felt his heart leap with joy and admiration. Slowly he leant in, and Vaeron did the same. Their eyes closed and their lips met, man to man, a relationship beginning.

The kiss continued for some time. It was Vaeron who broke it with a most satisfied sigh. “Thank you, Tarrimar,” he said quietly. “I know my situation is not the easiest but you have made me happy today.”

“Lady Philomel will be my Matriarch for as long as she will have me,” Tarrimar said, preparing to speak longer than he usually ever did. “But you - you will be my love. The fact you are the father of her child, and thus my future Matriarch, makes no difference in my decision. I agreed to this not for personal power, but because I genuinely think we could be happy together. Yes, at times it will be complicated, but that is fine. I am happy.”

Vaeron raised a hand and cupped his partner's face. “I am yours Tarrimar, for as long as you want me.”

“And I am yours,” the elf replied.