Jake awakened to a tentative knock on the door. He’d fallen into a light doze the moment he’d lain down on his bed, not even having time to take his boots off. He rose groggily, rubbing sleep from his eyes and jamming his cloth cap overtop of unruly blond locks. He knew it was Amari at the door - he recognized her knock - and so he hastened to the door and opened it.

Amari stood in the hall, semi breathless with her face flushed. Jake could not read the look in her eyes, but she seemed quite exhausted.

“Come in,” he said, standing aside and holding the door for her.

Amari entered quietly and headed toward his bed, sitting herself down. “Jake… are you ok?” She asked concerned.

“I’m alright,” the half elf said around a grimace. “Those pansies who beat me up couldn’t swing hard enough to thresh wheat.” He joked. “And you healed the worst of it.” He trudged to the bed and sat beside her. “Are you okay? You seem… I don’t know.”

“Y-yeh I’m fine.” She quickly interjected with a forced laugh and a wave of her hand. “Nothing to worry or concern yourself about.”

“Well I’m glad,” Jake said. “What did you and Breaker get up to?”

Amari averted her gaze, “We… “ She paused. “We went to this greenhouse and he showed me some of the flowers there. He said he thought it’d be nice to show me a place I’d enjoy as much as you enjoy practising your swordsmanship.” She turned her gaze back to Jake. “He was right, it’s wonderful.”

“I wonder if he ever does anything that isn’t wonderful.” Jake muttered, and then caught himself and smiled. “It’s good you found something you like in this town. Was there anything else? I really am tired, getting beaten up and healed took about as much out of me as portalling to Salvar and back.”

Amari bit her lower lip. She looked as though she wanted to say more, but instead she offered him her usual bright smile. “Mm no, I just wanted to make sure you were alright. If you are tired I will leave you be.” She paused. “Hey...Jake, what are you doing tomorrow?”

“Aside from practicing sheathing and unsheathing my tonfa fifty times… no real plans.” Jake said with a grin. “Why?”

“No real reason...I don’t want to get in the way of your training, so can I watch you practise?” She stood and crossed her arms over her flimsy underdress. “I promise I won’t get in the way.”

“Of course,” Jake said, standing and touching her shoulder gently. “You’re never in the way.”

She reached out to him and squeezed his arm, she still seemed a little breathless. “Thank you. I will see you tomorrow Jake.” And with that she let him go and left to go to her own room.

Jake shut the door slowly behind her, shaking his head as he returned to bed. Amari certainly did ask some strange questions, but he supposed it had to do with being uprooted from her life in Salvar. She was still struggling to put down roots, so it was understandable she’d need a little extra reassurance. Remembering to take his boots off this time, Jake climbed beneath the covers and soon fell fast asleep.