mild sexually suggestive scenes.
It had been a few days since we had returned from Akashima...and during those days Nevin said he had things to do, and he was barely home. It was… a little lonely. Especially after everything that happened. I felt like I needed to be around him more, I had been more.... Well, ravenous too. He didn’t mind that. Even though he came home exhausted most nights he entertained me.

But something felt off.

I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. It was the way his dark red eyes lingered on me when he thought I wasn’t looking or aware. The way that he squeezed me tightly whenever he left, as though he may not see me again. It made me nervous and I didn’t like it. Whenever I asked him what he was doing he’d tell me. “I'm working on a problem dear - and I don't want to concern you with it. I-may not be enough.” the last part mumbled, and I only heard because I had sharper hearing than he realized.

When we were in Akashima; he revealed that he was a budding god. Or some form of divinity. Maybe that was what was bothering him. Didn’t those type of people gain power from people's prayers, and faith? Did he want a shrine? Followers? I could do that.

I would do that.

I hummed happily to myself as I locked up his store and headed down the street toward the local clothing store. I may just have pilfered some money from Nevin’s store, but I’d work off the debt. Besides...this was for a good cause! If he was going to be someone to pray to, he needed someone to look after his holy space, right? And the local store did have clothes from Akashima, considering it was the same continent. I’d go there first. I’d buy an appropriate outfit. Like my sister. As much as I hated to admit it...the colours did look good on her, and on me - and if that’s what shrine maidens wore then...that’s what I should wear too.

I pushed open the door to the store and a very well dressed lady greeted me. She had long blonde hair that had been curled into tight ringlets that rested just below her shoulders. She wore a long black dress. Slender, it hugged her form and had long lace sleeves that had frilly cuffs. I wriggled my nose. It looked so stuffy. “Ah! It’s the lady of Crimson, what a lovely surprise.”

I tilted my head. What did she mean by that? Was Nevin’s influence already that good? “Uhm… not understanding...am here for Akashiman shrine maiden clothes. Does have?”

The woman blinked. “OH! Yes...maybe, follow me Miss.” She gestured for me to follow to a rack near the back. “This is all we have from Akashima. I don’t quite know what you are looking for, but if it is from there. It would be here. We don’t really carry ceremonial things, but fashion that is based on them will surely be here, it has become popular since the Gallery.” She said with a soft laugh, covering her mouth.
I inwardly flinched at the mention of the word, it brought up bad memories. Surely she didn’t mean the place Stefano had taken her to, the place she had almost died and where Nevin got burnt. No, it was just a coincidence. I shifted my gaze to the rack and started looking through it. There were many kimono and yukata, floral prints and hand pressed cotton dresses...finally… I pulled out a red and white ensemble. “Ah!” It wasn’t exactly like the ceremonial garb that Ayaka wore...the pleated red skirt looked like it would hang just above the knees instead of at the ankles, and the sleeves were much, much more longer. Still. This was as close as I was going to get. I approached the counter. “How much?”

“That? Let’s see the price tag…” The girl took the outfit from my hands and inspected the tag. “7 gold...but for you, I’ll make it five.” She placed it on the counter and smiled sweetly at me. “Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Uhm…” I pursed my lips. “Maybe. Have the red dye?”

“Oh...did you want to dye this red?” She let her hands breeze over the white material of the top. “Red is such a beautiful colour… isn’t it? I have one that is a deep hue of, well, Crimson. Will that work?”

Crimson...that sounded right, that sounded like what Nevin said. I nodded. “Yes please.” She gave me a smile and ducked under the counter. I could her bottles clinking together before she pulled out a small glass pot of red liquid. It looked a lot similar to blood. “This is 1 gold and several silver pieces. So your total would be 6 gold, seven silver.”

I never had a good concept of money, so I carefully counted out the coins in front of me. Thankful that she was so patient with me. She wrapped it up in paper and handed it back to me with a smile. “Be sure to tell him I gave you a discount.”

“Eh? Nevin? If want, can do.”

“Excellent! Wonderful!”

I turned to leave, she was happy, and she was kind… but offputting, and I couldn’t figure out why, that was until she caught me as I opened the door.

“Oh, and do tell him to stop by soon. What he did to Stefano...ahhh...it is the best we’ve seen in years.”

I quickly exited without answering her and practically ran back to the store. My heart thumped against my chest and I fumbled with the keys as I struggled to unlock the door, I bounded inside then locked it behind me...I closed all the blinds and windows and ran to the bathroom. Locking myself inside. I slid down to the floor and curled into a ball.

Why?

Why...why….why did she say that!? She seemed so nice… she was there that night? Those people were in this town still? Did they live here? Were they just… I shivered… I didn’t want to think about it. I had to talk to Nevin about it when he got home.

I took a few deep breaths to steady myself and wiped the tears from my eyes. I had… I had work to do and I wouldn’t let this stop me. I picked myself up off the floor and took out the small bottle of dye. I hadn’t planned on using it on the dress. I wanted to use it on my hair. I shifted to the sink and peered at the label....

The instructions were…. Too complicated. I’d just put it straight on and see what happens. I twisted the top off and sniffed it. EARGHhhh… I was a little worried that it would have actually been blood, but nope. It wasn’t. It smelt like chemicals… like the oil and the machines in Alerar. I didn’t like it.

<”For Nevin…”> I breathed.

I dipped my fingers into the liquid, I expected it to be thick but it was really runny. <”Ah!”> I had to scoop more up into my fingers, I grabbed a handful of hair on my left side and tried to run it over the strands. It quickly dripped from my fingers and into the sink. “AH!” This was quickly being a mess. I picked up the pot and dunked the hairs straight into it then pulled it out. <”Test first…see if work.”> I rubbed the strands in my hands to get all of them covered, then wrung them out. How long should I leave it in? Maybe...half hour…. yes...I think I saw 30 on the bottle and seconds, days and hours didn’t make sense. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. There were a few dots of red on my face from where the dye had dripped. The streak in my hair looked good. I felt accomplished. Hopefully when I wash it out it would still look good. Then I would do all my hair!

Now...to put the lid back on the….

I looked down and groaned, my ears fell flat against my head. I must have knocked it over. Red covered the sink. And the tiny pot sat upside down at the bottom of it. <”NO, no, no, no,no….I don’t want to go back there….ah...no….dammit…”> I picked up the bottle and peered inside. Nothing left...well… I guess one bit of red was better than nothing. I turned on the taps and tried to wash the dye off the cream coloured basin.

<”Eh?”>

It wasn’t coming off

I scrubbed harder and added soap, then used hot water… still nothing. <”EH?”> It wasn’t coming off my hands either. Maybe...maybe it was 30 seconds…. I quicky ran to the shower to wash off.

After washing myself and drying off my hair (and staining Nevins white towel in the process) I had successfully gotten it off my hair. What remained as a single thick streak of red hair that framed my face. At least I knew it would work if I wanted to do all my hair. The red that completely covered my hands and the flecks on my face hadn’t come off. Even after washing. I sighed. I guess I’d have red hands for a while.

I turned to the shrine maiden outfit (well, a bastardised version of it) and put it on. It was...really flowy and not at all restricting. That I liked. I grinned.

Time for part 2 of help Nevin be stronger!

The shrine.

I padded to our room and started clearing out the back corner. It wasn’t like I was using it anyway. I slept in Nevin’s bed all the time now. I dragged a wooden crate to the corner and grabbed an incense burner, shoved some sticks in it and lit them. There! Almost perfect. Except…. There was no artifact of him…

What would I even use…

I furrowed my brows. Then... it came to me. “Duh!” Stupid! Why didn’t I think of it before. He was all about blood right? So I’d just get some of his blood… I headed to his workshop and opened up the cupboard where he kept all the vials of blood. After opening and sniffing a bunch I found his and took it to the makeshift shrine. I placed the vial carefully on the shrine then lifted the locket up from my neck. It contained a piece of his soul...so praying to his soul and his blood. Would that work….

I hoped so.

I placed it on the shrine and curled my legs up underneath me. I took a few deep breaths and bowed my head. Then clapped my hands twice.

Nevin...I didn’t lie that night...if you truly are becoming something far greater than I, something devine. I want you to know you have my support. You have my devotion, I love you and I pray to you, for you, and ask that you continue to strive forward in whatever path you may take. You say you may not be enough but you are, you really are.