View Poll Results: What is Althanas to you?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A place to write and collaborate with likeminded people

3 13.64%
  • A place that offers a high quality hybrid of writing and roleplaying

13 59.09%
  • A place to unwind with your writing style of choice

1 4.55%
  • Other (please comment)

5 22.73%

Threaded View

Let Them Sing

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    We could debate this until our fingers go numb.

How do you think we improved our writing back in the day before finding Althanas? We actually did the writing, collaborated with other writers (preferably more talented), and read the stories of others. Albeit, the improvement was extremely slow, but still there. Even if little by little.

I agree fully the detailed feedback and the unique rubric helps immensely with writing improvement. I don't deny that.

Althanas hit me like a brick at first, when receiving detailed and honest feedback. I found out, in the years before, I did only learn little. But, I can't say those years before taught me nothing at all.
    I agree with this a million, zillion percent. You, right there, listed the ingredients for everything right with Althanas. But do you know where it has lost its way?

When members can come on and make 8/10 threads submitted just smut threads, with little to no intention of achieving anything your post nails (there is one in particular I can actually back this statistic up with).

When the Althies are nominated and only 3/10 people can name a thread for best quest or best battle in a year that had three very solid JC's, the cream of this website. As a member of staff who pours hours into reading people's work, and trying to give them comprehensive, meaningful advice, do you know how much that pisses me off? I can spend up to five hours at a time reading, appraising and helping for it to lead to this: a situation where people would just rather submit a sexually orientated thread to a workshop than write something worthwhile with character development, or read someone's hard work and give them the credit they deserve.

I have become seriously disillusioned with the direction this place is headed. I know I am not alone. If that lands me in hot water, so be it. I miss the days where writers would come here and weave great stories, even if the quality wasn't amazing.

You know what? Pav is a standout example of someone I adore on here. In the last couple of judgments I did for him, I have seen massive passion and improvement from the guy. I used to crucify the guy and I felt like shit for it because he was always giving 110%, but right now I look at him as THE example of where this site should be looking to head. Improvement, smiling all the time while doing it. That is where we should be and we're light years away while people are workshopping blowjob threads and it is being accepted as the norm and even applauded in some quarters.

Fuck knows how we are going to put a tournament together this year or any future year unless its a hentai fanfic competition.

I love this place. I was involved on an emotional level when my best mate in school was commissioned to make the continent that was come to be known as Salvar back in 2001. So I have a very heavy heart when I say what I say. But it needs to be said.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 01-03-2018 at 05:48 PM.