Quote Originally Posted by Philomel View Post
Sorry for the confusion.

Philomel's profile has Delath and Veridian as set familiars, that fall under her TPL limit. Much of her character is as a sort of summoner, with Veridian and Delath acting as if they were a horse or other that one might ride in battle. Philomel is the hero, but Veridian and Delath act as approved extras. They are also separate entities - bodies - that can attack from other directions of herself. They have a mental connection that allows communication between them. Philomel by herself is fairly powerful. They will of course act as detailed in her profile.

Philomel by herself works out about a level 6 character (approximate guess) all the remaining TPL in her profile are used by Delath and Veridian. I was just trying to see if they themselves were permitted on the field as well, and since there is no limit to how far they can be from Philomel, if they were alright to attack alongside a separate unit than Philomel herself, for instance. Does that make more sense?

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to clarify this for others who also have familiars as well.
As long as they act as approved in your profile, you can use them in battle as you like. From an ROG perspective, it seems a little wonky that these familiars can be any distance from her with no penalty while simultaneously linked. I can also only assume that Philomel wouldn't share any strain, damage, or fatigue that these units might impose on her throughout a fight? If that's what was approved, then its permitted. It would then beg the question to take a closer look at how familiars are handled.

So in short, familiars do not cost a unit. They are considered one of your main character's abilities. They can be "transformed" into heroes but must then be omitted from your main character's abilities and conform to the NPC hero rules above. Misuse of familiars in an unfair way or outside of your profile's context on the battlefield will be scrutinized as powergaming.