I blinked. Stared. Blinked and rubbed my eyes, then looked at her again. She was completely serious. I cleared my throat. “Fair one, would - would your hair even be sanitary to use in the wound?” I don't think so. Hair could, theoretically be used - but in general it wasn't strong enough. I doubted hers was strong enough but then again it might be. But even beyond that - I did not want to risk sewing up her wound with a non-sterile thread. If we got back to town or hell, even to my camp, then I could boil and sterilize some of the thread that I had.

She looked with large eyes for a moment before dropping her head. “I've been a unicorn for a week … so I guess not.” She let out a huff and looked back at the ruined thigh. Blood still oozed, but it had apparently slowed, and she seemed to be sucking in gulps of air to stay awake.

“Alright. Fair one. I have a camp not far from here. Do you - need me to carry you there?” I did not know how she would take the offer. I slowly returned my tools to my bag and began gathering up the meat and wood, moving them into a bundle. I frowned, turned away from her. Normally I would carry this all, if I needed to, in my coat, but the fair one needed that. So - I shrugged off my shirt and began piling things on top of it.

There was a large splintering crack. I turned to see the fair one grabbing a branch and ripping it from a tree to use as a crutch. She unsteadily hoisted herself to her feet. Well - I suppose it could work. We would make an interesting sight if someone saw us - a half-naked drow with his shirt dripping blood slung on his back like a bag, and the hobbling, clearly injured and naked save for an overly long coat, woman.

I held out one arm for her to brace herself on, and she took a moment before tentatively taking it. I gave her a slight nod, and then began guiding us back towards my camp.

-----

It took about thirty minutes of walking at the best pace the woman on my arm could manage. Not that I particularly blamed her - but walking for half an hour with the oozing sack of meat on my back was, in a word, uncomfortable. But we finally turned past the trees that sheltered my tucked away camp from sight. The tent to one side, with the log that I had pulled up to serve as a seat to the other. Between them was the ring of stones that still held embers from the last fire.

I gently guided her to sit on the log, then dropped the tied up shirt near the banked fire, then went to search my small tent. I knew I had - there. I pulled out a small copper pot, beaten and battered, with clear dents in it. I - should probably get a replacement at some point. I looked over to the fair one.

“I will be back shortly, I need to get some water to boil and some wood for the fire.” I spoke softly, then turned and started to head towards where I knew a small stream was flowing somewhat nearby. I paused though, in case she needed something before I left. Nothing came, and she remained silent - so I left, heading for the stream.

Cold, clear water filled the copper pot. I balanced it on one hand and began scooping up some wood. I tucked them under my arm and grabbed some more, carrying the wood and pot back to the camp.

The fair one was perched still on the log, cloak around her and feet tucked under. She glanced at me as I came in with wide eyes. “It should take only a little bit once I've gotten the fire going.” I set the pot of water down near her, letting her examine it if she wanted to. While she did that, I worked on the fire, gathering up a bit more wood from near the camp to build it up to a decently sized blaze.

As the fire was roaring to life, I untied my shirt and took some of the meat out. I took sharp sticks and skewered the chunks, and then set them near the fire. As the meat began to cook I went to my tent and found the spit, and set it up then carefully set the pot of water over it. It was - hot. Because I had done this frazzled and not thinking, or I would have set up the spit and pot before the fire. Still, some mild burns to my forearms and hands would fade in time. I stepped back, then sat down near the fire, to turn the meat as it roasted.