I stared. What the shit. What in the actual shit. She - she had been acting. I should have seen it, I did it myself. Fuck. I closed my eyes and drew in a deep breath. I wanted to help her. And she firmly believed that death would help her the best. I stood up, and picked her up cradling her unconscious form in my arms. I carried her into the tent then closed my eyes again.

Women really needed to stop asking me to kill them. At least Philomel hadn't done that. One out of four was a terrible track record though. Kara, the dhampir girl, had asked me to if she lost herself to her blood thirst. Scarlet not only wanted me to kill her if she was losing herself to the corruption - she had told me exactly what was needed to do it. Fuck, at least Vixen was sure she would come back. I kicked the bed roll open, then carefully, gently, laid her down in it. She didn't stir, not even a little. I took a deep breath, then let it out as I leaned down and -

gurk

Her head lolled to the side as I squeezed, my fingers choking her smoothly and swiftly. She had made a slight sound as I strangled her, and her boy thrashed as she tried to resist. But I bore down, and she passed without even waking up. I slowly stood up and stared down at my hands.

Disgusting.

Just - if she didn't come back I doubted I would let myself get near anyone. This - she was a unicorn. Or a unicorn sometimes. And I just choked her to death. I gently covered the body up and walked outside and sat down heavily by the fire, strength leaving my legs. Fuck.

She wasn't a hunt. She wasn't prey. She had asked for help. I had saved her - and now I had killed her. If she - if she was wrong. If I had just helped a unicorn woman suicide. I - fuck. Fuck. She had better come back. I don't think I could look Philomel in the eye if I had strangled a woman to death who had asked for my help.

I drew my knees up and stared at the fire.