Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    I agree AIlsa that would be a neat idea.

More AP gaining opportunities I think would help alleviate some of the concerns I had with the system in the first place. But yes those types of ideas would be a welcome change for sure!

EXP: 3,250, Level: 2
    Level completed: 42%, EXP required for next Level: 1,750
    Level completed: 42%,
    EXP required for next Level: 1,750

GP

Name
    Arden Janelle

View Profile
    Is there an app that tracks wherever or not you actually read other people's threads? Perhaps some sort of tick box system or ability to add commentary to individual posts like in a google doc? People who read other work can then add notes up until the thread is 'closed', i.e submitted. There are plenty of ways to encourage community writing without adding currency or role playing elements to it.

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Is there an app that tracks wherever or not you actually read other people's threads? Perhaps some sort of tick box system or ability to add commentary to individual posts like in a google doc? People who read other work can then add notes up until the thread is 'closed', i.e submitted. There are plenty of ways to encourage community writing without adding currency or role playing elements to it.
    Yes, I currently only have it active for administrators. Would others be interested in this, and if so, why?

Althanian

EXP: 11,761, Level: 4
    Level completed: 56%, EXP required for next Level: 2,239
    Level completed: 56%,
    EXP required for next Level: 2,239

GP

Name
    Lorenor
    Race
    Undead

View Profile
    Due to vested interest in this thread, i'm stepping out of any further discussions. But hopefully you guys get a lot done with this thread keep up the good work everyone so far.

Adventurer

EXP: 5,090, Level: 3
    Level completed: 3%, EXP required for next Level: 3,910
    Level completed: 3%,
    EXP required for next Level: 3,910

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    I really did love the idea of the mentor thing. I feel like if we could retry that and it be successful we would get a lot more writing. For example, I don’t know how to do sparring threads properly and could really use help on my writing mechanics. I feel if more experienced writers reached out took one or two people under their wing we would se a surplus of more writing. Also people writing with different people, reach out do more open threads more people will get involved.

Also if someone goes over how to score a workshop with me and I understand it more I would be more then happy to bust out a bunch of reviews I read almost every thread that is posted here. I just don’t understand the expectations that are wanted from someone when writing a review.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    Chelley
    Race
    Alaskan
    Maybe if you didn't hide feedback behind a paywall people would be more inclined to seek it out.
    This. Should I ever manage to finish the things I've got planned/started, I will be taking the no judgement route for each and every single thing, unless someone I wrote with wants to pay for it. Simply because I don't think there should be a cost for getting the feedback to improve writing on a site that is supposedly dedicated to improving writing.

The whole AP system is kinda pointless IMO. The only thing to use it on really is judgements and the only way to get it is to write a vignette (the topic for which a person might not be all that interested in, and thus don't participate in it) or workshops (which someone may not feel inclined to do for whatever reasons). It might be worth it if there were more ways to earn it and more interesting ways to spend it. But as it stands right now? Nah.

Let Them Sing

EXP: 155,108, Level: 17
    Level completed: 18%, EXP required for next Level: 14,892
    Level completed: 18%,
    EXP required for next Level: 14,892

GP

Name
    Shinsou Vaan Osiris
    Race
    Telgradian

View Profile
    Maybe if you didn't hide feedback behind a paywall people would be more inclined to seek it out. We had someone who was doing shit posts in the Workshop threads for AP so he could buy a boat. He even freely admitted to it, when it was painfully clear he wasn't following along with the threads in question and asked questions that could have been answered if he had read them. The quality of feedback is greatly diminished by such acts it makes the entire workshop principal a joke and not a particularly funny one at that.
    Yes, I remember this, and typically we have a situation where in hundreds of posts of actual solid feedback you've cherrypicked the one guy who was abusing it. You're right about it, by the way, it was a joke. But the other 200+ posts of meaningful commentary by other people weren't. If we are going down that road, I could pick every single one of Amari's thirty smut thread submissions out and say "what's the point of the workshops when this shit is happening" but then I'm being disrespectful to those who actually tried to write and use the workshop for what it was intended.

This argument only feeds into my initial concern. Asking for more feedback encourages bad feedback, the kind of feedback that helps no one and forces the situation to degrade even further.
    Well, better off if we just pack it in then and all go no-judgment instead.

Come on man, this is just a crock of shit. You get the odd person farming AP in the same way you get the authors farming EXP. Back on 3.1 when we had people who gave a shit, the majority of feedback was well done. Revenant, Flames of Hyperion (go and talk to him about feedback) Boris...the list goes on. But, oh wait? Where are they now? Not here. So the feedback has gone too. Shock horror. Now we're left with smut and turboposting with no feedback at all.

You've embarrassed yourself here Pat. I expected better from a guy like you.
    Last edited by Shinsou Vaan Osiris; 01-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsou Vaan Osiris View Post
    . If we are going down that road, I could pick every single one of Amari's thirty smut thread submissions out and say "what's the point of the workshops when this shit is happening" but then I'm being disrespectful to those who actually tried to write and use the workshop for what it was intended.
    I don’t find it fair that you are picking on Amari because of the smut threads she does. As someone that is staff of the site I feel like you should encourage writing no matter the type. Activity is activity, no need to be crass and down someone because they write a lot of smut...

Supreme Overlord

EXP: 96,913, Level: 13
    Level completed: 50%, EXP required for next Level: 7,087
    Level completed: 50%,
    EXP required for next Level: 7,087

GP

Name
    Max Dirks
    Race
    Human

View Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by loves.blessing. View Post
    I don’t find it fair that you are picking on Amari because of the smut threads she does. As someone that is staff of the site I feel like you should encourage writing no matter the type. Activity is activity, no need to be crass and down someone because they write a lot of smut...
    This is generally my thought. In the future I might add site tags for you to tag the threads as mature, but frankly I don't care what you're writing if you're writing. EL James made millions off a Twilight fan fic on a site like Althanas. I refuse to turn away future EL James' from our site because they're writing questionable content. It's very easy to regulate who reads what by giving fair warning of contents.

Adventurer

GP

Name
    McKinley JoAnne Parish
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dirks View Post
    This is generally my thought. In the future I might add site tags for you to tag the threads as mature, but frankly I don't care what you're writing if you're writing. EL James made millions off a Twilight fan fic on a site like Althanas. I refuse to turn away future EL James' from our site because they're writing questionable content. It's very easy to regulate who reads what by giving fair warning of contents.
    I feel like that is a great idea, if it offends a lot of people that there is a lot of smut then maybe we should do that. Also for the record Dirks I think you are doing an amazing job at keeping this site running. Obviously with some help but good for you, also thank you for giving me a place to write with such amazin people!