EXP required for next Level: 52

GP

Name
    Felicity Rhyolite
    Race
    Neanderthal/ Human Hybrid

View Profile
    *Takes huge breath, then starts rapidly typing*

In my opinion, research isn't an option. It is a vital part of making a believable, good story. Maybe it's just my literal mind, but I believe research and accuracy is critical.

Whether it be for lore, or science, or mentality, or whatever. Research can mean the world for a believable, solid story. At this point, all you need to do is be as historically and scientifically accurate as possible to write an original, non-cliched story... :P

Are you setting a story in medieval Europe? Okay, what century? There's a difference between 1400's Europe and 1600's Europe. There was different technology, different lifestyles...

There's a difference between glorified, Hollywoodized fantasy fighting and actual HEMA/ Japanese martial arts. Bows require a boat load of physical strength due to drawback weight. Rapiers are the same weight as arming swords, it's just that the weight is distributed differently. Leather armor wasn't common. Katana's are not indestructible because the iron were folded over so much. And by golly, ten ton buster swords are not only unrealistic, but dumb.

It grits my nerves so much when somebody says their character has PTSD because their parents died or something, but show zero signs of the actual disorder. They angst a lot, but they carry little to none legit PTSD symptoms. I finally looked into the potential of Fel having PTSD. She only has fourteen symptoms out of twenty-two. Popular fiction portrays it like such and such, so it must be true? PTSD is leagues different than pop culture portrays it as. This goes for numerous other disorders as well. DID, OCD, ASD... Mental disorders are portrayed way off in fiction. It is not just inaccurate, but it is disrespectful towards the people who struggle with these disorders.

It is crucial to research the lore of a world in RP-settings. It can mean so much to be accurate to the world your character is in. For example, in Salvar. It's a snowy, chilly place. And don't show a character using magic all willy nilly because magic is looked down upon there. Writing a dark elf in Raiaera or a middle class wealthy person in Lornius is out of place and out of touch.

Then, of course, there's the other extreme in research - doing nothing but research and never actually writing. Heh. Guilty as charged... I've spent about three years now working on an off-site story. Stuck in the pre-writing, lore building, and researchresearchresearch. That mess'l never get 'ya anywhere! The time will come to close those fifteen browser tabs on what sixteen century buildings look like and just start writing.

Whoa... I just wrote, like... A novel-essay.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 01-23-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    "I can't be proud of anything. I am ashamed of everything."

"I gave my heart, my allegiance, all my energy for this and got nothing but ashes in return. What on earth did I do to deserve being chewed and spit out like this? Time and time again, it's all the same."

Felicity Playlist.