McKinley grew more and more anxious as the time passed. What had happened to Avin, was he okay? What did he mean if he disappeared? The questions over took her mind as she fidgeted with her bandaged hands. Music, music was the only thing that would calm her storm.

“Are you, are you coming from the tree. They strung up a man, they say he murdered three. Strange things did happen here no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree.” He voice was soft but filled the small room as she sung. She closed her eyes for a moment as the lyrics filled her. Her voice was smooth and velvety.

“Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be-“ the sound of someone clearing their throat made he freeze. Her gaze was met by the white haired man. “He-Hello…” She stammered.

He smiled pleasantly at her, standing in the doorway, silhouetted by the candlelight. He had his hands cupped in front of him and seemed genteel, serene. Quietly Avin stepped around him and entered the room, dropping his head slightly as he did.

“My lord, this is … McKinley.”

The brass eyes blinked and looked at her. “Are you now? Avin says you have come to meet me. How … sweet.”

McKinley slowly nodded as she stood from the bed, “I wanted to meet Avin’s Masters yes… I guess it’s nice.”

She was a bit perplexed by his wording as she could tell by his tone he wasn’t sincere. She tilted her head to the sighed. Her red locks tumbled over as she studied the half god.

“And Avin said you were worried about being able to leave. Have no fear,” if possible, the smile grew. “You will be allowed to leave. But first, I-” He paused a moment and tilted his head, the smile lessening slightly. He blinked and studied her with scrutiny. “Hmmm …” he said.

McKinley froze when he stopped in mid sentence about her being able to to leave. Even her breathing had halted as his bronze gaze was intense, it was like he wasn’t staring at her but inside her. “Wh-what does Hmm mean?”

A hand raised to the half-god’s face, and he twisted around to look at Avin. His grin came back again and he looked back to McKinley, “Why don’t you join us for dinner tonight? And then you can tell me about your magic.”

She looked like a lost puppy, “magic? I don’t have any magic unless you count playing many instruments as magical….” Her heart beat against her breastbone.

“Power, or, abilities, then. Whatever you like to call it,” his voice was verging on the harsh, but he stopped then and pulled it back in to be gentle. “It would be very rude of you to refuse dinner from a willing host.”

“I-I will stay for dinner but I don’t know what you mean I am as human as they come.” Her tone was soft as she looked down at her bandaged hands studying the stains on them.

Vindrexis’ eyes followed hers. Pleasantly he stretched out his hands. “Here,” he said, gesturing for hers.

Timidly she offered one of her hands that was wrapped in a stained white cloth. She tried to be very still but her nerves made her hand shake.

The godling smiled eerily before he curled his digits fully around hers. He was silent a moment, then a small warmth began to pass into her fingers. Then he began to remove the bandages and as he did she could see the wounds beginning to heal.

McKinley gasped, her bright gaze held such wonder. “Marvelous,” she breathed looking up at the godling. “Thank you,” she said sincerely. She glanced at Avin and offered him a soft smile. Maybe she was wrong, maybe he really wasn’t a slave and his Masters were not like the two she had endured.