I was trying really hard...I caught on pretty quickly that Stare wasn't comfortable with me being close to Nevin, to hugging him and kissing him and just...experiencing his warmth. Maybe I was being stupid… maybe I was being needy, but not being able to actively do those things kind of… hurt.

Then they were … they were talking about all these things that went completely over my head. I knew I wasn’t very smart, nor wise - in any sense of the words but I felt completely and utterly out of my depth. Did I really deserve to be his priestess if I couldn’t do such simple things? These two worked together so wonderfully, it was like two smaller rivers flowing into a big one.

Then again, Nevin always had that way with people.

I put on my biggest grin and turned to the two. “Mm mm! We can go now yes? Eteri help Stare walk if need?” I would help, in anyway possible. I could at least do that, right?

The kenku looked at me briefly before taking her dagger from the counter and wiping it on her tunic before slipping it back into the sheath. She looked a little weary but since there were feathers it was hard to tell if she was pale. “I'll be …” she paused as she leaned against the table, grunting. Taking in a breath she pushed herself up again. “Yeah, just don't … try to hug me, please.”

I nodded. Little did she know helping her like this was a side hug. So, one point to me I guess? The victory felt hollow as I scampered up to her and draped one arm around her waist, the other I used to steady her as I ducked my head under her arm. “Is feeling the ok? Can walk?”

“It's are you feeling okay, Eteri,” Stare said quietly. “As in …” and she switched to Akashiman. <“Are.”> And she gingerly accepted my support. I nodded and repeated the sentence with her correction. Just as I did with Nevin.

“Are you feeling ok?” The words rolled off the tongue a little easier. I didn’t wait for her to answer, if she could correct my poor speech she was fine. I took two small steps forward and waited as Stare got into the rhythm. We headed to the door and out of Nevin’s store. I had to admit ... It felt kinda weird with her feathers all brustling up against my skin.

Nevin was quiet as he closed and locked the door to the house attached to the shop, then he picked up the bottle with her blood in it. He seemed thoughtful as he walked behind us, watching us.

“We're staying in the house on Bottleberry,” she said, “The one with the huge fancy houses. If you … want to get a carriage then I can pay. It's not too far though.”

“If not far can walk!” I said with a nod. “Got lots energy. All time.” And it was true, especially of late I had far too much to burn. It even exasperated Nevin at times and he was the only one I had ever met….who was so patient with me. I turned over my shoulder to glance at him.

“Is Nevin okay?”

“Hmm?” He blinked and looked at me. “I'm fine, love. Thinking on things.” He gave me a smile. “Thank you for helping her.”

“You tell later.” I muttered. I turned my attention back to the road. It was late evening, so it wasn't as busy as it was during the middle of the day - but there were still people walking. Talking, shifting out of the way and staring at the sight. Nevin and I were fairly well known in the town, Stare - I wasn’t so sure. Maybe it was because she was barely able to stand? I readjusted her with a ‘hup’ and continued on. “Men...never not tell what on minds…” I mumbled to Stare.

The bird was quiet for a moment, her eyes focused forwards. Her chest heaved and I could feel her feathery wings bumping against my arm at her waist. “Yes they can be,” she agreed. “But some women can be too. I'm terrible at it.”

I snorted then laughed. She was like Nevin. It wasn’t surprising that the two were friends. “Do me the favor?” I asked as my laughter died down. “When Eteri die - look after Nevin. He will needing friend like you. Ah-” I shifted again as I tried to point to a house up ahead.

“Is that it?”

Stare looked up, and dragged in a breath. “Yes it is,” she said. “But … Extending your life may be possible, Eteri. Just make sure it's your choice. All of it. When you finally die, because you will want to, how your immortality works,” she looked at me with solid, dark eyes. “Your choice.” Then she pushed away from me suddenly to begin a staggered walk past the narrow gate to the tall terrace town house before us.

I wanted that...I wanted to extend my life, I’d stand by Nevin no matter what it took. Even if the costs were dire, to me - that was my duty. Not just as his partner, his girlfriend but as his priestess. Although Stare couldn’t see it, I gave her a small nod of confirmation and followed her inside.