Thanks for your input and advice! Looks like there are three items to touch on:

- You're exactly right on salt being the main staple that needs to be taken in to manage the Keto diet in a healthy way. Sodium is the one we all know best, but Potassium and Magnesium are also super important. I've made the jump from standard table salt to Himalayan Pink; I'm not sure if there's a difference or not because I've changed too many other variables to isolate it, but it's delicious! You're also correct on being able to displace "electrolytes" via Powerade Zero with adding salt to water, but that one is a low priority for me. Powerade Zero is portable, cheap, and tasty. I bought a case of it at a good price so it's not much of an imposition for me to drink it.

- I have done fasting occasionally; I really enjoyed the process and thought it is a great diet for people. I still fast every Good Friday as a blend of Catholic sacrifice and reintroducing the challenge. I find it creates problems for my running, though, so I don't do it with any regularity.

- Definitely on board to resume my "normal" diet after the 30 day test. When I'm operating efficiently, it's still bread-free; I just allow myself fruits, sugary vegetables (like sweet potatoes) and beans, as you mentioned. I think ultimately that's a healthier diet than Keto because there are so many nutrients from those foods that I am currently missing. For the month, I should be fine. Long term, that's a lot of fiber/Vitamin C/potassium/etc. to have to make up through supplementation or inefficient greens and meat.

Stripping away salt is also a strategic move for me. I lead a high stress life; the only real knock against my health is my blood pressure (a much more serious concern than my weight). My doctor encouraged me to try this diet, since he felt it could help jumpstart my body's ability to metabolize salts.