Jake strode into the common room to a strange sight. Green ichor painted the ground, pooling around a disembodied arm that could only have belonged to the one kobold who seemed like the leader. The lizard was receiving medical attention from the barkeep, and every one else seemed reasonably calm. The reptilians moved around in a writhing, arguing mass, but for some reason but their aggression was mostly internal. Something was preventing them from becoming violent. Jake could only guess it had to do with their chieftain being so easily disarmed.

The half elf went to the bar and ordered a pint of ale, and then carried the foamy mug on a tour of the room. He caught a look at his reflection in the window as he rounded the front of the pub. The silken eyepatch that covered his empty left socket made him stand out from the crowd. In a place like Alerar, so did his unruly, sand-colored hair. He had a decent tan and his clothes were of fine local fashion though, made from high quality sifan. The patterned green longsleeve shirt matched his eyes, and the earth-toned trousers went well with the mottled green-and-brown of his leather boots and jacket. He hoped that no one would notice the type of leather he wore.

His jacket and boots were made of expertly tanned Haidian demon hide. Jake had skinned the fire demon alive, and foolishly allowed him to escape. It was the hunt for that same demon that had brought him to Alerar, but the trail he'd been following had dwindled from sight. He'd needed something else to occupy his mind, and the extra coin didn't hurt, so he'd accepted the task of discovering who was killing all those snooty dark elves. He tousled his hair and took a sip of ale, and then continued on past the windows.

Someone here has an invitation to a meeting I need to attend. He had to mentally restrain himself from grabbing people at random and shaking them until answers spilled out. The drug flooding his brain was a river of pleasure, and he had never ridden such rapids before.

"Joshua Cronen..." He heard someone speak his instructor's name as he drifted away from the clamoring group of kobolds. It had spilled from the lips of a human who was almost definitely Coronian, who sat with a bosomy faun who could only be Philomel van der Aart. Based on his tall, rangy frame and current company, Jake guessed the man beside her was Shinsou Vaan Osiris. What was such a notorious pair doing in a tavern in Alerar?

One of them must be carrying the invitation, Jake thought, sniffing and wiping his nose. Hell, they might both have one!

"Pardon me," Jake said, stepping up to their table and setting down his ale. "I don't mean to intrude... but any friend of the Breaker is a friend of mine. Pleased t'meetcha, I'm Jake Narmolanya."