Yvonne held any form of her judgement until the very end, until Felicity had spoken everything she was willing to say. Until she understood exactly what she was dealing with here, until the atomic-teen’s side of the story was told, the half-dwarf remained stoic. She didn’t interrupt, she listened. She didn’t stare, she made eye-contact and then looked away, considering her words. She didn’t prompt the girl any further than she already had - didn’t need to as her companion explained all. The black-skinned hybrid tended and cultivated her thoughts.

Poor lass. Her reasoning I comprehend. She tried ta safeguard me from herself, even as I be helping her. If I had been in her place, what would I have done differently? If I be cursed with a dangerous magical power, wouldn’t I do as she had done? Push, rage, scream, yell. I would do anything ta protect those I care for. I would do worse. I would lie. I would manipulate and pull strings. I would subdue if it came ta that. Who be I ta scrutinize her imperfections? I have more than me fair share of flaws.

The mention of another, an alchemist was key information. Someone else had burdened her with this, of their own volition. They had made a decision to take Felicity’s life in their hands and alter it at their whim. Yvonne’s eyes narrowed dangerously. Her immediate thought was to take an eye for an eye. They had punctured Felicity with a sharp object and should meet the same fate. A dagger between their ribs would suffice. Even the thought of it made her feel better. She would have to question the lass about this alchemist, learn his intention and whether she willingly accepted this serum-magic or not. If it was forced there would be… consequences in this individual’s future.

“Hate ye? I could never,” Yvonne declared, stressing the importance of her words to banish the thought from Felicity’s mind. No wonder the berserker had been standoffish and unapproachable for so long. She thought there was hatred between them and one more false move might end their friendship, but that simply wasn’t the case. The grey dwarf was more complicated than a harbourer of fear and hatred, unlike many of her dark elven brethren.

“Someone else burdened ye with uncontrollable magic? An alchemist injected ye with nuclear power? How ye be ta blame for that? Why would I hold it against ye when I could hold it against them?” Yvonne challenged. Felicity’s tears softened the half-dwarf’s stern expression, the emotion in the teen’s voice spearing through her resiliency.

“I’ve come ta a crossroads, dear. I’d never met a fellow sufferer weighed down with magic, until now. I could turn me back on yer pain and run away in fear, or… I could face me fear with yer help, so that in time I might help ye too,” she offered, stating her options. Yvonne was scared, there was no doubt. Her trembling was intense, especially in her hands. Even the plain and simple act of talking about magic frightened her but she was pushing through. Her willpower was fortified when she put her mind to it. It would take a magic-siege to break her with her mind made up.

“I be sorry, for tha days of silence. I allowed ye ta expect tha worst, yer thoughts running amok. That wasn’t fair of me,” Yvonne conceded. “By way of apology ta ye, I will try ta learn about yer magic-burden. If I understand it, mayhap I will fear it less.”

Yvonne closed her tired silver eyes a moment, taking a deep breath to settle her nerves. She hugged herself, arms wrapping around her sides to create some kind of comfort feeling. It appeared absolutely childlike but was entirely necessary. Learning about magic was a courageous leap of faith out into an endlessly void-black bottomless pit of terror.

“Ye be forgiven yer misconduct, on one condition…” Yvonne smiled bravely, through fear overwhelming, looking into Felicity’s teary eyes again and taking hold of her attention.

“Ye try ta think of yerself with kindness,” Yvonne stipulated.