Aynur didn’t see it, but she heard and felt it. The shuffle of movement, the shout of a man and the sudden wind then presence of another before her. He smelt of leather and road dust, and there was the distinct scent of metal polish in the air. Aynur bit her lower lip. A guard? No. They had never paid her any mind before, some had even taken their own liberties. Aynur pressed her back tightly against the wall and drew in a sharp breath. Maybe if she stayed perfectly still they’d all ignore her.

The man...no, knight before her barked at the drunkard. Then there was the shift of movement. The sliding of feet against ground then the small clink of armour. Whoever was before her was standing his ground and readying himself for a fight. Aynur shrunk further back, only to realize that the cold hard wall behind her would not relent. Instead she slid down toward the ground and covered her head with her trembling hands.

“Tha fuck do you care? She’s just a beggar. Hell, maybe a good fuck will-”

There was the sound of movement, the clutter of metal against metal then the sickening snap of fist against bone. There were hushed whispers and mutters of disappointment throughout the crowd. They wanted a fight, they wanted a scene, a show. Anything. Instead it was over in an instant.

Aynur didn’t know who won. She didn’t know who lay unconscious on the floor, bleeding - for she could smell the metallic scent of blood in the air. She couldn’t see, may never see again. She couldn’t fight for herself. She couldn’t protest, that would end in more violence toward her. All she could do was exist.

Exist another minute.

Another hour.

Another day.

Until her time came, until she died.

Footsteps, slow and even approached her. Then came the sound of someone kneeling. Aynur flinched as she felt the presence of a hand reach out to her.

“P-please. I do not have anything of value. I am sorry.”

Then there was a pause, and she heard a sigh. Aynur opened her eyes. Before her was the usual blurry swirl of colour. She wished she still had her ability to see peoples inner light, their intention. But that was stripped from her, as was everything else.

“I-I’m sorry…” Aynur muttered again as she lowered her head to her knees as she bought them to her chest. Maybe, just maybe whomever it was would leave her alone.

’just leave me to die’