As I was collecting my papers, easing them into one fairly organised yet still rushed pile, there was a kind, gentle voice.

“Professor?”

Twisting my head I came to see Ayna standing tall, erect as a statue and with her books tucked beneath an arm. Behind her the other students continued to drift out of the door, most of them in dim conversation. Pausing briefly, pulled the last of my notes onto the pile and began stuffing them into the leather satchel I used to drift from class to class on a regular basis.

“Yes Miss Ayna?” I asked, “Do you have a question?”

Quickly, she nodded - faster than I expected her to. It was a flourish of movement, and her eyes were back on mine before I realised.

“Yes, Professor. I wanted to ask more about karma.”

I grimaced slightly as I hefted the satchel strap onto my shoulder. The last few students, aside from Ayna, were exiting the now quiet and dully lit room. My feet carried me away from the desk I had been lecturing from and towards the door. Automatic Ayna began to follow.

“Karma is not my area of expertise,” I honestly advised, “You would be better talking to a professor of magical theory or philosophy.”

“But all social sciences are linked,” she replied, stepping into rhythm beside me, her eyes eager and bright.

I took a moment to allow the last student to exit, and then gestured for Ayna to follow. She smoothly slid out of the room, sliding around me and into the long, dark corridor beyond. Taking out a key I shut, then locked the key quite firmly behind us before I continued walking, my boots making loud rings on the deep-coloured wooden floor. Still, Ayna walked beside, waiting for my reply patiently.

Which I gave when I had taken some five lengthy strides, past the bright light of a window, then back into shadow. We were an odd pair - the drow student and I, the pale, seemingly demon teacher - yet none paused to stare.

“They could be all loosely described as that, although I believe the theoretical magicians would prefer you to think of them as a science. Your theory on karma could indeed be used to explain something, and if one were to look at say Platon the philosopher, they might find some interesting ideas in his book 'The Demokratos’. Still …”

“I have a point?” she asked, and her eyes were bright.

I laughed, softly, “Yes. You have a 'point’. But it is a working one, Ayna. For there to be a successful theory you need to do your research. For instance, where does the Tap fit into all of this? Are there truly other Taps? What form do they take? Did they come from nothing themselves?”

The girl's eyes were on me, full of determination. Truly she was one of my favourite students - astute, keen and aware. With her type I could speak for hours, though there was always a need to limit the conversation due to rumours about teachers and inappropriate behaviour. There had been one young student, Miki, in Akashima, who had gotten so enthusiastic about my lessons that she had turned up, at my office, at six of the morning several times. Stories had flown on pitiless wings, her parents had become involved and the best decision for me had been to leave.